General Discussion Triathlon Talk » half-iron time to recovery before full iron Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2008-08-19 9:03 AM

Subject: half-iron time to recovery before full iron
Hi all,

I am registered for IM Florida on November 1st and here is my question...I am going to be in Austin, TX the weekend of the 70.3 race. There are still slots available for registration. I am thinking that 4 weeks is a long enough recovery time before I start to taper off before the IM event and am hoping that it would be a good tune up for the full iron distance, but I am a little concerned that it is too close to the full iron.

Any advice on this? Anyone do anything similar or are the races too close together?

Thanks!

2008-08-19 10:00 AM
in reply to: #1613062

User image

Extreme Veteran
Ontario
Subject: RE: half-iron time to recovery before full iron
Doing a 70.3 that close will probably hurt your performance at FL a little, although we all recover differently. I did the Steelhead 70.3 2 weeks ago and I'm just feeling back close to 100% now. I'm scheduled to do the Muskoka 70.3 7 weeks out from FL. I should probably skip it if FL was a big priority, but I'm just looking to finish my first IM so I think I will try to do Muskoka with minimal taper and take it easy (famous last words)
2008-08-19 10:03 AM

User image

Pro
Wisconsin near the Twin Cities metro
I did Steelhead 70.3 a couple weeks ago and the Pigman HIM this past Sunday - 3 weeks out from IM WI.  However, I purposely took it easy on the run at Pigman after the 3rd mile in order to save some stuff for IM.  If I had gone hard the full run in that hot weather I think I would have dug myself into a hole that would have been hard to get out of in order to be ready for IM WI in 3 weeks.  Good luck.
2008-08-19 11:01 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Austin, TX
I am doing exactly that. I will be using Austin 70.3 as a training day swimming and riding quicker and taking it easy on the run. My coach will be working the schedule before and after to make sure IMFL training is maintained.

Originally I was not going to do Austin because I did not want to lose any training days prior to IMFL, but my coach is going to work the long rides and runs around Austin as IMFL is without question my A race. My biggest concern was not the recovery since the time necessary to complete a 70.3 is shorter than my long training days. My concern was losing a training day and since my schedule will be worked around the race it will be a fun day and a nice break from the long training days.

If you feel you can recover quickly and do the race without actually racing it you should be ok.
2008-08-19 11:08 AM

User image

Expert
Zürich, Switzerland

If you take it as a training, do it!

I guess you have done longer training session than an HIM, didn't you?

Take it easy and it will work as a great day towards your IM. Better to stay with other people in a race than doing such a long training session alone.

I did HIM on the 3rd of August and I will do IM on the 7th sept.

After HIM, 1 week "recovery", two peak weeks and then 2 weeks for tapering.

In your case, just 1 week of peak before sharpening the blade.

Smile

2008-08-19 12:10 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
TX

I (and my training partner) did that exact combo last year and felt like it worked great. If you've done the training for an IM, then the half shouldn't overtax you; as long as you don't go all out (especially if it is really hot). I'll be at Longhorn again this year, as it was a great race and looks to be even better this year.

2008-08-19 12:26 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran

My coach and I have been going round and round on this one as well. I wanted to do this Half, but it's my peak training weekend so we are considering me doing the aquabike and then I do the bike course again and run my long run the next day. Last year my coach had a couple of athletes do this race and then FL with no problems.

His advice was so long as it's a 'play day' and you keep yourself in check and don't get overly competitive. If that can be done, the distance is no problem. Good luck! Florida is starting to get closer and it's starting to seem real!

2008-08-19 3:38 PM

Wow, thank you all for your replies! They were very helpful. It helps a lot to know that some of you have either done it before or are planning on doing something similar. Yes, I have done long training days longer than a HIM, but I am debating whether I want to spend the $$ on a 'training day', though the comment about having the support of others rather than doing it alone, is very appealing. I am going to Austin for work and will be there anyway, it's just a matter of whether I can afford the race...and to haul all my gear there!

IM FL will be my first IM distance event and my goal is really to finish, though I do want to be able to give it everything I've got. I just finished the Timberman 70.3 this past Sunday and felt fantastic and it gave me a lot of confidence for FL, so I'm even more excited about that race now!

Thanks again for all your comments...now I just need to win the lottery so I can afford to do all the events I want!
2008-08-20 9:18 PM

User image

West Simsbury, CT

I'm a big fan of doing a 1/2 IM event 3 weeks before a full IM.  Most IM tapers should be targeted at about 3 weeks and rounding out your last training block with a 1/2 is a great way to dive into taper land.

I personally race such events as I would any race (full speed), however, even at 70 or 80% effort, such a race is really good for your psyche going into IM and a nice way to test your fitness.  In short, doing such a race will not negatively impact your IM performance.

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » half-iron time to recovery before full iron Rss Feed