General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Tsali Challenge Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2008-08-19 5:44 PM

User image

Master
Ferndale, MI
Subject: Tsali Challenge

Hello my good friends to the south!

I've gotten myself talked into the running leg of the relay event and am more than slightly interested in competing the day before in the individual challenge.  I've ridden the trails out there at Tsali, but was wondering if anyone has done this event and can tell me which trail is used for the ride and run.  I'm from the flatlands, so this course will be plenty tough for me!

Also, does anyone know of a kayak rental place around?  Not sure if NOC rents them or not.

Thanks in advance!

2008-08-20 7:23 AM
in reply to: #1614673

User image

Apex, NC
Subject: RE: Tsali Challenge
Hey - can't help you on the event information. Just wanted to say long time no see though.

And, how many noses do you have?

BFD lurks on here sometimes too. I imagine he has some information on this.
2008-08-20 8:49 AM
in reply to: #1615505

User image

Master
Ferndale, MI

Hey stoutmouse!  Laughing  I still have just the one nose, but it has holes in it  Frown

Thanks for the info on BFD, maybe I'll track him down.  I've been off "the other site" ever since the new format, I hate it, but I do lurk there every once in a while.

Hows the training for B2B coming? 

2008-08-20 10:15 AM
in reply to: #1614673

This is where the race will be held. It consists of a 4 mile flat-water paddle, 5 mile trail run, and 12 mile mountain bike ride. Singles races are on Saturday and team races are on Sunday. I've seen 60 year old men and women run this thing, there's a place for all skill levels at this race.

-----------

jbsjohn

North Carolina Drug Treatment

2008-08-20 11:12 AM
in reply to: #1615701

User image

Apex, NC
Hey. Training for B2B appears to be on schedule. Freak out sometimes, over confident others. I'm most disappointed that my home for all those years (that other site) is basically gone and I can't share what I'm going through in training with all the folks that are now spread all over the place.

On your kayak thing, I checked with a co-worker who used to do a lot of that. Here's his response...

There are a couple of options close by. Nantahala Outdoor Center essentially rents kayaks for a nominal fee—technically, you are trying out the boat, but you pay them and take the boat down the river. You must provide all your other equipment—paddle, spray skirt, etc. Typically they only have kayaks. It seems to me that all day costs $50. The Nantahala River is dam-controlled and typically runs every day but, given the drought, they should call the NOC (888-905-7238) to make sure. They need to know what they are doing to kayak the Nantahala.

A better option might be to rent an inflatable kayak. Several companies offer them but I prefer to deal with NOC. Typically you do not have to reserve these ahead of time. They are fun and very forgiving.

The Tuckasegee River is also nearby and is dam-controlled. The NOC will have the release schedule. Tuckasegee Outfitters used to rent canoes but I have not been there in several years.
2008-08-20 12:52 PM
in reply to: #1616222

User image

Master
Ferndale, MI

yeah, just going over to that forum depresses me.  Besides, this job I have now does not afford me the time to visit often.

Thanks for all of the info on the kayaks.  I may end up calling NOC to see what they can do.  I'll be paddling in a lake very close to the Nantahala, so renting a kayak from NOC may not work.  I have done some rafting on the Nantahala and because it dam-fed, it runs every day at a fairly good level.  In fact, I was just down there in July and even the lake was at a pretty good level, considering last summer it was nothing but puddles.  So sad.

Glad to hear your training is going well.  I know this is a bigun for you, so take those days of confidence and run with them.  You know you can do it.

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Tsali Challenge Rss Feed