General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Pool now...swim with the fishies later! Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2008-08-19 8:32 PM

User image

San Antonio
Subject: Pool now...swim with the fishies later!

wOOt!! I get to SWIM!!! So....I was saying that I just wanted to do Du's for now b/c my swimming sux. I CHANGED MY MIND!! I was searching/calling/speaking with several fitness clubs w/pools (including the YMCAs) and then I thought of one club in particular that I knew was pretty elite and exclusive due to high membership rates, but I thought it would be worth a tri to find out if they had any specials.

Lo and behold...my active duty status and the good Lord's provision allowed me 1/2 price enrollment and membership, 2 free training sessions with a PT who specializes in swimming (I'll probably purchase a few more until I get pretty good stroke going), and ameniities that blow me away. This is one HECK of a deal in this super-pimped fitness center. Best of all, the pool is heated at 85 degrees and they have all the toys I need to get me started with the swim.

...and they open at 5AM so I can go swimming on the days I don't run before work.

This is huge...just HUGE!! I'm going searching for Tri's in early '09. I have the Du in December, a Western Caribbean cruise in January, and then I want to do a tri. I want to have plenty of time to train before my kindasortafirst tri (I did a mini-tri in 2001). Plus I've no OWS swimming experience (the mini-tri was in a pool).

I bought the speedo, goggles, and swim cap and am ready to rock!! The swimcap is hard to put on...I have super long hair. Any tips from the ladies out there?

2008-08-19 8:56 PM
in reply to: #1614942

User image

Pro
Brooklyn, NY
Subject: RE: Pool now...swim with the fishies later!

Congrats on the deal and decision to swim! I just learned in May, best thing I've ever done in my life. I have really long hair as well. I put it in a low ponytail, flip my head upside down so the end of the ponytail is over my forehead and then put the cap on from the back to front and tuck the ponytail end in once the cap is on. Silicone goes on easiest but latex works fine and both are easier if you wet your hair first.

Have fun! 

2008-08-19 9:40 PM
in reply to: #1615018

User image

San Antonio

Thank you for the tips! I did get a silicone cap and glad that I did :-). I figure a few sessions with the trainer to get me off the ground (of the pool) and I can take off on my own after that. I'm super excited! Now...to go hunt for that tri on the race search :-).

Thank you again!

2008-08-19 9:55 PM

User image

Expert
Harrisburg, PA
Sounds good, but watch out for the heated pool. Indoor pools are more often than not too warm. I fell in love with a semi-local spring-fed outdoor pool that most people complain is too cold, but is just right for me. The indoor pool I use in the winter months sometimes gets so warm I find it uncomfortable to use. And it's a p*sser when some of the local lakes and rivers are so warm in the summer months. Anyway, good luck w/the tricked-out facility, and find some OW too.
2008-08-20 5:43 AM
in reply to: #1615219

User image

San Antonio

You are right...I'm from TX and the lakes get pretty warm around here. The Guadalupe river is never warm LOL. Fortunately there is a small lake nearby in which some of the local tri clubs do weekly OWS. Once I'm a bit more confident in my stroke I will be joining them :-0). The pool is very warm, I can tell by the heat of the room. It will be a great place to practice and build confidence :-).

Thanks for the tips!

2008-08-20 8:07 AM

User image

Master
You can try out the OWS in the Caribbean -- it is really awesome to be swimming along the shore and see sea turtles and all kinds of cool fish. (Although it's a lot different when you can see through the water in the Caribbean versus the tris I've done here where you could barely see your own hand in the water.)

2008-08-20 9:01 AM

User image

Veteran
Plano, Texas
Congrats on the smokin' deal, and cool that you're stoked.

BTW, 85 degrees is WAY too warm for a lap pool. You'll be sweatin' your arse off after 100m!
2008-08-20 9:52 AM
in reply to: #1615591

User image

San Antonio

Hi Susie,

Yes I intend to get some practice while I'm there on my shore excursions. My ex-husband is from Cozumel so I'm fairly familiar with the island and the beaches :-).

2008-08-20 9:53 AM
in reply to: #1615752

User image

San Antonio
That sweatin' may be good to get rid of some of this fat...LOL...
2008-08-20 10:18 AM

Extreme Veteran
Lap pools should be cooler. After you start swiming you will generate some heat. Like running and riding, you are exercising and even in a pool, you'll get hot/warm and wish for a cooler pool temperature. Took me a while to figure that out...need to stay hydrated while swimming!
2008-08-20 11:45 AM
in reply to: #1616016

User image

San Antonio
Okay I will definately stay hydrated...and it's possible my numbers are wrong, too LOL with my memory...I'll verify today when I go.

2008-08-20 12:06 PM

User image

Davenport, IA
I swam for a while in a pool meant for rehab that was kept at 85 or so degrees.  That gets really hot really fast. Hopefully they keep it at 75 degrees or something.
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Pool now...swim with the fishies later! Rss Feed