General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Beginner's concerns Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2008-08-19 11:27 PM

Subject: Beginner's concerns

Hi Ya'll,

I'm really getting the tri bug, and my mind is sending up all these red flags about how I just "can't do this". I want to do the training and all that, and surprisingly that in itself is not what I'm worried about. I have two major concerns-

1. when I run, I CANNOT BREATHE. I know that sounds a little mellowdramtic, but it's scary. My throat closes like I'm crying and I panick, making it worse, which makes me acutally cry, making it even more worse, leading to a panic attack- long story short, this would make finishing the tri a bit difficult. I am a good swimmer (did competetive for years) and I like to bike and don't really have a problem there. is there soemthing about running? Does anyone else have this problem? Is it asthma?

2. Caffing- I know this sounds like a silly concern, but it really is making me nervous. I'm not very overweight, although i could stand to loose a few, and my thighs (like many women's) touch. I am not prepared to purchase a tri suit for my 1st tri, but i am really worried about rubbing myself so raw that I bleed, or my bathing suit rubs, or the chlorine/ salt from the water exasperating the problem.

any advice/anecdotes/experience you all could offer would be greatly appreciated!

thank you!

2008-08-19 11:52 PM
in reply to: #1615341

User image

Subject: RE: Beginner's concerns

no idea on #1,

#2, use body glide or sport shield or something similar.  will work wonders

2008-08-19 11:59 PM

User image

Pro
Brooklyn, NY
Welcome! First of all, by being a good swimmer you have a great advantage since that is the hardest part for a lot of us. This is my first season and I had a million worries so you're not alone.Breathing - have you talked to your doctor? You need to be sure it isn't a serious problem, like asthma, that requires treatment. Otherwise, if you're new to running, try to go at an easy pace and take controlled breaths rather than short, shallow breaths. It might help you relax. You might be hyperventilating a little, which would make you feel lile you can't breathe. Start slow and run/walk if you need to.Chafing - you can avoid chafing by using a skin lubricant. Body Glide works well and a stick will last you a very long time, but you can just use vaseline or aquaphor if you have it. You don't need a tri suit, but be sure to train in what you'll race in a few times so you can identify any issues, like chafing, and deal with it before the race.You should keep your training logs here so people can help you out along the way. Good luck!
2008-08-20 1:31 AM

User image

Elite
DC Metro, slowly working my way to NC

As far as the "can't breathe when running", I second Lazy's advice of checking in with a doc on that one.

Chafing - body glide does WONDERS for spots where you think you might have issues.  (Tris or just running.) I've had noticecable chafing happen twice, and basically in spots where I didn't throw down some BG ahead of time.  Both times, it was an area about the size of a dime.  The rest of my arms/legs where I did get all the BG on - no problems whatsoever.

2008-08-20 3:30 AM

User image

Expert
Orange County, California
See a doc about number one. If he says you are fine, trying running slowly. Like slower than your grandma in a walker slow. Run just barely faster than walking speed. If you don't have problems breathing while walking, this could help.

Number 2. Tri shorts are just bike shorts with a thinner pad that dries out quickly when wet.

It doesn't need to be super expensive. They are normally long enough to prevent chaffing.

You could also buy compression shorts and wear them under your normal running clothes.

Or buy capri's or running tights. Make sure they dont flop around on the bottom so they drag in the water or get caught in the bike chain.
2008-08-20 5:47 AM

User image

Champion
Albuquerque, New Mexico
Bronze member

Get checked out by a doc on the breathing.  Beyond that, maybe some yoga or breathing exercises to get controlled, deep breaths and some positive visualization about a great run (it's usually the swim people need this for). 

I've never tried body glide, but you can also try stick anti-persperant (try it for a training run) for chafing prevention. 

2008-08-20 6:26 AM

User image

Hi and welcome, I'm a newbie myself. I agree that you need to see your doctor. I've been a respiratory therapist for twenty years, and with limited information, it doesn't sound to me like asthma. With asthma your not going to feel it in your throat. You will feel difficulty taking a deep breath and it is accompanied by wheezing. It does sound like you are having a panic attack. After you see a Doctor try a "couch to 5k" program. It will start you out slow with a walk/run program and over time you walk less and run more. Something I have learned as a newbie is to start out sloooowwww. Each event requires training of new muscles and if you start out to fast you are asking for an injury and burn out. Good luck and I hope you can solve your running difficulties.
2008-08-20 7:06 AM

Veteran
NC

x5 or whatever...see a doctor for the breathing. 

Chafing, I agree that body glide works well.  I understand that you're new and don't have all the uber fancy tri apparel.  For my first tri I just wore my regular one piece bathing suit with a pair of normal spandex over it for the swim, bike, and run.  The spandex covering your upper thighs should prevent chafing.  

If you are large chested, it is probably worth the investment to get a good sports bra and a tri top that you can wear over top, along with a pair of tri shorts like someone suggested. 

2008-08-20 7:23 AM

User image

Expert
Ontario

#1...  SLOW DOWN !!!   If the breathing problem was something like asthma it would affect you on the bike (and swim) also.  My guess is you are going out the door and taking off running too fast.   Start with a 5 minute brisk walk to warm up then start a slow jog, building your speed up slowly.  If you start to feel that "throat closing" feeling   slow down, or even walk for a minute to get your breathing under control.  Build up your running time and speed slowly.

#2... what the others said... body glide and some tri shorts.

2008-08-20 8:15 AM

User image

Master
Loveland, Ohio

I can't address any medical problems, but I can say that learning just the tiniest bit of yoga helped me breathe so much better during my run and my bike - but mostly my run.  BT has discontinued this series, but this was my first introduction to yoga and it's helped so much.  http://www.beginnertriathlete.com/cms/article-detail.asp?articleid=1314  If you want more yoga, check out www.yogatoday.com.

My problems were definitely not as bad as yours, but I couldn't run 50 feet without wanting to drop, mostly from being out of breath.  I just ran my longest run yesterday: 2.5 miles.  I still can't believe it. 

Some other people suggested slowing down and I definitely agree with that.  Just when you think you've slowed down enough, slow down some more.  I also agree that Couch to 5K program would be a tremendous boon to your training.

Best of luck to you and welcome to BT.

- Lora

2008-08-20 12:05 PM

User image

Veteran
California

1) As above, see a doc.  Also make sure your shoulders are relaxed while you run.  Holding shoulders tight restricts the chest.  And make sure arms are swinging front-back, and not across the body. 

One way to help monitor if you're relaxed is to run with a small stick, pine cone, rock, or similar in your hands.  Hold it in your fist, but with only your pinkie - keep the rest of your fingers loose.  It will feel weird, but you will notice right away if you start to tense up or lose form.  I actually run with E3 grips which do the same thing.  They felt weird at first, but I have difficulty running without them now.

2) Tri shorts.  Mid-thigh or so are long enough to prevent chafing.

2008-08-20 12:42 PM

User image

Lafayette, CO

I concur on the visit to the doctor.  After a couple of months of exercise with limited improvement in my breathing my doctor diagnosed exercise induced asthma compounded by allergies. I now take a daily claritin and use a preventative inhaler just before hard workouts.  For easier workouts now I just carry it with me just in case I get an attack but it's getting better.  And I really notice it if I don't take my claritin.  

For chaffing I agree, use body glide or invest in some tri shorts. Right now is a great time to get them as it's the end of season and lots of sales.  And, while they don't have any padding Target is now selling running skirts with build in shorts underneath which might work for you as well. 

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Beginner's concerns Rss Feed