General Discussion Triathlon Talk » I think it must be my kick that is holding me back. Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2008-08-20 9:01 AM

Extreme Veteran
Subject: I think it must be my kick that is holding me back.

Folks,

I had an interesting morning in the pool. I finished my first tri a couple of weeks ago and have decided to focus on the fundamentals to get strong enough for a HIM next summer. Many observers in the pool point out that I do not kick much. This is true I kick just enough to keep my legs off the bottom of the pool. Today I decided to do a few laps with a kickboard, how hard could this possibly be? I pushed off the wall and started kicking felt pretty good until I lost the momentum of the pushoff. I was kicking like a madman and not going anywhere. At one point I think I actually was moving backwards. I am not joking, I think my kick was pulling me backwards. A guy that I know from training in the pool told me to try treading water in the deep end by kicking while keeping your arms folded on your chest. This did not work either. I was able to do it if I used my hands to balance. I am amazed at how much energy it takes to propel yourself with a kick. This leads me to wonder if I really want to kick or not. I think it is important to learn how to incorporate this in my stroke as I think it will help me get planar, but it seems that you could waste alot of precious energy kicking. I will have to find a good balance.

chevy57   

2008-08-20 9:04 AM
in reply to: #1615750

User image

Not a Coach
Media, PA
Subject: RE: I think it must be my kick that is holding me back.
You don't need (or want) to do a lot of kicking in a distance swim.  But working to establish an effective kick is still worthwhile.  Keep doing some work with the board and the vertical kicking your friend suggested is a very good drill.
2008-08-20 9:16 AM

User image

Master
Atlanta, Ga
I have a slightly below average kick, and I have determined that it is holding me back as well. Even when not used like it is in the Olympics, a strong efficient Kick is essential to the overall efficiency of an open water swim. I am beginning to work on mine to make it better / stronger. There is nothing wrong with Kicking till the cows come home during a training swim.

I think you are on the right track with wanting to improve this.
2008-08-20 9:38 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Vancouver BC

no doubt that the right 'mechanics' of a kick is important - but you do not need to  kick MORE to go faster!  Right now I am learning the 'two beat kick' from my TI lessons - you kick once per arm stroke - felt very weird at first as I was a 'flutter kicker' before...

I tested it out at our long pool (Kits Pool - it is 137m long) last week - there is only about a 4 sec difference between lengths where I flutter kick or two-beat kick - with the two-beat kick being faster! (and I am only just learning this technique!).  It is such a graceful,relaxing way to swim - uses waaay less energy too!

just my 2cents....

2008-08-20 9:48 AM

User image

Expert
Tulsa

I have the exact same problem.  When we do kicks with the kick board, i don't go anywhere and everyone laps me.  BUT I am a much faster swimmer than any of the people who have good kicks.  I can swim around 32 min 1.2 mile swim in the pool and i pretty much just drag my legs behind me.  I do the slow one-two kick sometimes, but usually just try to keep the form and use my arms.  You defentially don't need a kick to get fast.

Maybe to move up into that elite group of swimmers, but like i said i can swim a 32 min HIM swim in the pool pretty easily and i don't kick at all.

2008-08-20 9:54 AM

User image

Elite
Boise
I'd say if your kicking like a madman and not going anywhere your kicking form is bad. You want to have loose ankles so you can whip them really fast and I'd bet you bend your knees too far. Your knees should only be bending a small amount.

2008-08-20 9:56 AM

User image

over a barrier
By your description, I'm guessing you have two issues that are hurting your form both will effect your swim even if you aren't kicking much during races.

1. I went backwards tells me your ankles aren't flexable at all. Your toes should be straight like a ballernia. You want your feet completely flat. When your toes are pointing at the bottom of the pull iy will pull you backwards if severe or completely stop momemtum, this is called have runners ankles.

2. Vertical kicking, if you're kicking from the hip you can vertical kick all day (Think a pair of scissors). If you're kicking from the knee - you're in deep deep trouble you'll be sinking fast. Kicking from the knee, called a runners kick, whill cause your legs to drop during the swim. You'll see people kicking a mile a minute trying to get their legs to the surface. Kicking from the hip will fix the issue.

Work on complete body stretch, lay on your back and stretch your arms and toes as far as they go - think streamline!

Good luck.
2008-08-20 10:54 AM

User image

Veteran
South Carolina

Lots of good comments.  I had a kick that was working against me - I was kicking with my legs apart, which is like dragging a "V" behind you.  My coach made me use a pull buoy most of the time for a couple weeks and, believe it or not, my kick improved.

2008-08-20 6:51 PM

User image

Expert
Harrisburg, PA
I know you're not joking. The same happens to me; kicking furiously and not propelling forward at all when usijg a kickboard. I actuallymove a little, but I have to stop and push off the bottom of the pool or it will take me 10 minutes to cover one length of a 25 yard pool. I have been told that I need to bring my legs very far up when I kick or my legs will drag. We know we aren't supposed to kick much in the tri world, but we do need to kick. When I do kick properly I feel it in my thighs. We who tend to drag our legs need to kick like we want the bottoms of our feet to break the surface of the water.
2008-08-21 10:57 AM

Extreme Veteran

Folks,

I appreciate the comments. I tried this again this AM with somewhat better results. I was not going backwards and did manage some forward progress, but had no endurance for this today. My legs were burning hard. Since I am planning a 80 mile bike ride Saturday I decided not to push this. I will spend a little time after each swim session practicing my form.

I think I should keep my toes pointed and kick from the hips. Is this correct?

chevy57 

2008-08-21 11:12 AM

User image

West Simsbury, CT
Kicking is actually fairly useless and unproductive part of distance swimming. As an example, even in much shorter distances (200-1500m) the kicking portion of elites' strokes makes up less than 30% of their propulsion and can consume over 60% of their body's oxygen stores.For triathlon (i.e. swims from 800m to 3500m) the propulsion of kicking is reduced much more (less than 15%). In short, the value of your legs is much greater in simply acting as a rudder to stay straight and efficient while rotating your body successfully. Don't get me wrong, some attention to your kick is OK, but over the course of any distance triathlon, you are looking at less than a 1-3 minute improvement. You will be much better served focusing on stroke technique and improved overall swimming fitness.

2008-08-21 12:25 PM

User image

Modesto, California

Although kicking during triathlons is not critical to propulsion, an inneffective kick can sure slow you down. It did for me, not having good flexibility in your ankles will act like a hook, and when flutter kicking will assist in pulling you backwards along with draging your lower body. My flexibility is getting better from wearing fins and stretching, not fun! As an experiment put some fins on and swim a few laps without kicking(just drag your legs), you should feel an immediate change that is a result of hips bieng higher and no hook!

A wetsuit will also assist with this, another reason why kicking is not critical during triathlons, in the pool is a whole different thing.

2008-08-21 1:46 PM
in reply to: #1619021

Expert
Southeast
nevergivin - 2008-08-21 1:25 PM

Although kicking during triathlons is not critical to propulsion, an inneffective kick can sure slow you down. It did for me, not having good flexibility in your ankles will act like a hook, and when flutter kicking will assist in pulling you backwards along with draging your lower body. My flexibility is getting better from wearing fins and stretching, not fun! As an experiment put some fins on and swim a few laps without kicking(just drag your legs), you should feel an immediate change that is a result of hips bieng higher and no hook!

A wetsuit will also assist with this, another reason why kicking is not critical during triathlons, in the pool is a whole different thing.

I'm a rank beginner, but I have to say x2 to this.  A few weeks ago I realized that my kick was not merely unproductive (which is fine by me at this point), but counterproductive (like OP, generating 'negative propulsion', and this is not fine by me).  I'm a runner and definitely had, and to some extent still have, 'runner's kick'.  I did two things:  (1) very consciously pointed my toes while swimming; and (2) some side kicking drills.  These have helped a lot.  I don't kick any harder than I did before -- in fact, I barely kick at all.  But these two things have definitely improved my swimming a little tiny bit.  In 10 more years, maybe I'll have this swimming thing down...

2008-08-21 10:45 PM
in reply to: #1618758

User image

Ann Arbor

1. I went backwards tells me your ankles aren't flexable at all. Your toes should be straight like a ballernia. You want your feet completely flat. When your toes are pointing at the bottom of the pull iy will pull you backwards if severe or completely stop momemtum, this is called have runners ankles.

This is great advice and analysis.

mwunderle - 2008-08-21 12:12 PM Kicking is actually fairly useless and unproductive part of distance swimming. As an example, even in much shorter distances (200-1500m) the kicking portion of elites' strokes makes up less than 30% of their propulsion and can consume over 60% of their body's oxygen stores.For triathlon (i.e. swims from 800m to 3500m) the propulsion of kicking is reduced much more (less than 15%). In short, the value of your legs is much greater in simply acting as a rudder to stay straight and efficient while rotating your body successfully. Don't get me wrong, some attention to your kick is OK, but over the course of any distance triathlon, you are looking at less than a 1-3 minute improvement. You will be much better served focusing on stroke technique and improved overall swimming fitness.

I completely agree with your description of use of kick in swimming. I do dissagree with the conclusion. 

Most recently, elite swimmers have found that working MORE on their kicks yields incredible results. The reason is that the muscles used for kicking (not being the same as for running or biking) are completely inefficient in regards to creating speed. Like you said, flexibility of the ankle is most important to a good kick. However, working HARD on kicking, and working it often, can make those muscles more efficient and make kicking more worthwhile. I imagine that elite swimmers still only get 30% of forward motion while using 60% of oxygen with the kicks, but most of us probably get even worse figures. That means that we should work MORE on kicking so at least even it out... especially since kicking in swimming is totally different muscles than biking or running. 

Now, come race day, the need to kick isn't that great (especially with a wetsuit). However, having kicked A LOT in practice will yield lots of divedends since what kicking you do will be efficient, effective, and good kicking will help activate the core, and will make you used to good body position in the water. 

2008-08-22 12:55 AM

Boulder(soul)/Cincinnati(body)
A kick in triathlon shouldn't be used for anything further than keeping your legs high in the water, something you need less when wearing a wetsuit. Save your legs for the bike and the run. This is the advice I always hear from Mark van Akkeren, one of the fastest fishes in the triathlon sea right now.
2008-08-22 4:43 AM
in reply to: #1615933

User image

Veteran
S.E Asia

running2far - 2008-08-20 9:56 PM By your description, I'm guessing you have two issues that are hurting your form both will effect your swim even if you aren't kicking much during races. 1. I went backwards tells me your ankles aren't flexable at all. Your toes should be straight like a ballernia. You want your feet completely flat. When your toes are pointing at the bottom of the pull iy will pull you backwards if severe or completely stop momemtum, this is called have runners ankles..

This is a problem I have tried to address too! Inflexible ankles.

I like to watch this video of Michael Phelps. The part where he dolphin kicks off the wall (55secs)shows amazing flexibility in his ankles

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ax77_hHq9Dc

2008-08-22 5:10 AM
in reply to: #1620499

User image

Expert
Fort Wayne, IN
I see how flexible ankles is important, but I don't have a clear idea how to keep my ankles flexible.  What are useful exercises for this?
2008-08-22 5:29 AM
in reply to: #1620504

User image

Ann Arbor
Regular backward ankle stretching helps. 
2008-08-22 7:33 AM
in reply to: #1620504

User image

This morning I did a mile swim averaging 1:52/100 yards.  That's nothing to write home about but it's a reasonable time for the distance.

I kick about once per 3-4 arm strokes, just enough to keep my feet from starting to sink.  Even then it's "kick-kick, rest...rest...rest"

As others have written, you do not need to kick for distance swims.  When you get to about 200-300M from the end point, then start in with the 2 kicks per stroke slow kick.

To practice that kick, pretend you have fins on and put your power into the DOWN part of the kick, not the up.

To work on your ankles, put the balls of your feet on a stair and do ankle-ups bending your feet as far up as possible then going to tip-toe and repeat 10-ish times.  Do that two/three times a day and you'll feel a difference in your run too.

2008-08-22 8:09 AM

Extreme Veteran

Folks,

Thanks for all the great input. Today I focused on simply pointing my toes and kicking from the hips. This made a huge difference in raising my lower extremeties. I could feel water flowing on the tops of my feet. I trimmed 1m 58s off my 25 lap time and actually felt my feet break the surface of the water. In the past my feet would sometimes drag the bottom of the pool (shallow end). I agree with all of the statements about not wasting energy during the tri, but I need to get my big a$$ higher in the water. A couple observations:

There was a guy in the lane next to me that was using a kickboard and he would pass me while I was swimming freestyle. I have some work to do.

Even trying to point my toes I would guess that there is not more than 15 degrees of movement. I need to get more flexibility. 

chevy57   

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » I think it must be my kick that is holding me back. Rss Feed