General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Computer for all three stages of the triathlon Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2008-08-20 1:38 PM

Regular
Subject: Computer for all three stages of the triathlon

Any suggestions on a computer that I can use for all three stages that will give me heart rate, speed, etc. I am new to triathlons and crashed my bike a little while back destroying the computer and figured I might as well look for something I can use for all three while I'm at it.

I have been looking at the Garmin Forerunner 50, and getting all the accessories for it. But feel like there is a better solution out there.

2008-08-20 1:43 PM
in reply to: #1616659

User image

Cycling Guru
Fulton, MD
Subject: RE: Computer for all three stages of the triathlon

From my understandings, none of the Garmin's are truly water resistent.  But a lot of people will use them for the bike and run portions with great success.  They only take a few seconds to put on during T1.

I personally do not really care about the swim distances.  It is what it is, and even if it is wrong, everyone has to swim the same distance.  I can understand the desire to know for sure how long a swim actually is as they are notoriously mis-measured, but I am not aware of any systems that work well in water.  For the bike I have a cyclometer and for the run I just use my watch (which I wear the entire time and hit the lap button at each point in the race).

Oh, and welcome to BT!!

2008-08-20 2:11 PM
in reply to: #1616659

User image

Veteran
North Carolina Foothills
Subject: RE: Computer for all three stages of the triathlon
I use the Polar S725x.

It gives me heart rate during the swim...it's not a gps, so you won't get any distance measurement.

As a bike computer it gives, speed, hr, altitude, cadence distance, and you get heart rate during the run. You can also get an optional foot pod that will give you your running pace, distance, etc.

Never had a problem using it in the water, both during open water and pool swims.

Edited by rventuri 2008-08-20 2:13 PM
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Computer for all three stages of the triathlon Rss Feed