General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Good News Articles on the Fatalities at GCT and IM FL Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2008-08-20 3:06 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Subject: Good News Articles on the Fatalities at GCT and IM FL

2008-08-20 3:50 PM
in reply to: #1616998

User image

Master
Atlanta, Ga
Subject: RE: Good News Articles on the Fatalities at GCT and IM FL
Excellent series. You should post those in the main Triathlon Talk forum. That's the most informative information I have seen or heard anywhere. The deaths still remain a mystery, but for me, the most likely explanation is heart arrythmia or long QT, which is essentially the same thing. There is no way these people just drown. While that has to be the official cause of death the Medical Examiner, or whoever puts down, it's probably wrong.

Interesting information on the wetsuits theory and the swimming induced pulminary edema. One would have to assume that more investigation is occuring in those areas.

In the end, I think the heart, for whatever reason, simply stops.

Thanks for posting. 
2008-08-21 8:26 PM
in reply to: #1616998

User image

Veteran
Cumming, GA
Subject: RE: Good News Articles on the Fatalities at GCT and IM FL

I've been swimming competitively since I was six years old.  I'm a good swimmer.  However, I still get panicy in OWS.  There is just something about swimming with a group in open water that gets me disoriented and freaked out.  I think this is what may cause some of the swimmers to drown or have heart attacks.

My sister did the NYC tri in the Long Island Sound.  She said the jelly-fish got that guy. 

I don't dig the ocean!  I'm a Georgia, Lake Swimmer kinda gal.

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Good News Articles on the Fatalities at GCT and IM FL Rss Feed