General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Swim Question: training breathing vs race breathing?? Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2008-08-20 8:43 PM

User image

Denver
Subject: Swim Question: training breathing vs race breathing??
Ok so a while back I was having trouble breathing every 3rd stroke on each side (bi-lateral). I could only swim for a few minutes and then I would get exhausted. Basically my stamina just wasnt built up. I was having a conversation with a girl from our training group and she said that she only breathes on one side and every stroke because it conserves your oxygen during a race. Ive tried this method over the last month and it has helped me out tramendously! I was able to swim a half mile yesterday without stopping. Is it going to "hurt" me long term breathing on one side every stroke or do I just need to gut it out and learn to bi-lateral breathe every 3rd?? So my question(s) is how do you breathe and is your breathing different in a race than when you train?

2008-08-20 8:52 PM
in reply to: #1617682

User image

Bob
Binghamton, NY
Subject: RE: Swim Question: training breathing vs race breathing??

It will help you to breathe every stroke. Your training friend was correct in that is gives your body more oxygen. I breathe every stroke on my left side and have done so for 37 years of swimming. Most elite swimmers breathe every stroke as well.

Bilateral breathing can be more balanced and I actually teach kids to breathe bilaterally, especially for practice. It may help prevent some overuse injuries as well. I've had my share of shoulder tendonitis in the past. I can't say it was from breathing every stroke as I had tendonitis in both shoulders.

If you're more comfortable breathing every stroke then I would breathe every stroke when you train and race. Oxygen is your friend in endurance sports.

Edited by rstocks3 2008-08-20 8:54 PM
2008-08-20 8:53 PM

User image

Expert
B'ham

I breathe bilaterally in training and unilaterally during races.  Being able to breathe on either side is important in the event that race conditions (chop, sun, etc) prevent you from breathing on your 'strong' side.  It's also like an oxygen bonus breathing more frequently during a race, though with the faster pace/adrenaline of racing, that might not be the case.

2008-08-20 9:00 PM

User image

Elite
DC Metro, slowly working my way to NC
I recently started breathing on just one side rather than every 3rd stroke and it's made a big difference in how I feel, so you're not alone.  I just make sure I alternate which side I'm breathing on when I turn so that I am used to being able to breathe on either side.
2008-08-20 9:09 PM
in reply to: #1617715

User image

Veteran
Traverse City, MI
cadmus - 2008-08-20 9:53 PM

I breathe bilaterally in training and unilaterally during races.  Being able to breathe on either side is important in the event that race conditions (chop, sun, etc) prevent you from breathing on your 'strong' side.  It's also like an oxygen bonus breathing more frequently during a race, though with the faster pace/adrenaline of racing, that might not be the case.

Wow, after swimming today I told myself to post on this very subject - and what do you know? I too struggle to maintain the bilateral 'every third stroke' for a long period of time. Cadmus, you make a great point. I plan to stick with it during my training, but during the race - adapt to conditions and be capable of both.  

2008-08-20 9:17 PM

User image

Denver
Thanks guys, I feel a lot better now. Fpr some reason I was thinking I was cheating myself.

2008-08-20 10:01 PM
in reply to: #1617712

User image

Champion
Rochester Hills, Michigan
Gold member
rstocks3 - 2008-08-20 9:52 PM

It will help you to breathe every stroke. Your training friend was correct in that is gives your body more oxygen. I breathe every stroke on my left side and have done so for 37 years of swimming. Most elite swimmers breathe every stroke as well.

x2.

In training, I breathe when it's convenient, based on the workout...so there's value in bilateral...with one exception...during intervals or hard sets, when I'm pushing, I breathe only right, to simulate race conditions, because your stroke changes based on where you breathe...it just does. I get a cadence and pull that's different in the one-side stroke....it's more like stroke-stroke-glide than stroke-glide-stroke-glide.

But in races, right side only, on every stroke. It institutionalizes the different cadence and pull, but it's faster. I'm chalking it up to more air, but let the debate begin.  

2008-08-20 11:07 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Brambleton, VA
Agree with the general theme here. Breath every 3 strokes in practice to develop the lung capacity and ability to breath on either side. Come race day, go every two strokes, but switch up sides.

Becareful if you only breath on one side (left), you run the risk of overloading the opposite shoulder (right). May sure you take the time to reach with the breathing arm (left). And make sure your arms do not cross the center line.

Cheers.
2008-08-21 1:10 AM

User image

Encinitas

Breathing bilateral is very important in open water swim, especially when it is choppy , if you breath in both sides you can watch the ocean for a bit and figure out which side you would be breathing in the first leg of the swim and than alternate in the way back, avoiding some salt water intake , which can upset your stomach and make you stop.

It's not the answer you are looking for , but i thought i would share what i learned the other day. 

2008-08-21 5:28 AM

User image

Sneaky Slow
Herndon, VA,

If one is breathing bilaterally during a race for sighting purposes, don't.  You get more oxygen breathing every other stroke, and, you'd be surprised how little extra distance you swim when you go off course.  Sighting is really overrated.

Say you swim 500m, and you end up 50m off course.  Then you swim another 500m, and come back in line at the end of the 500m.  Think of a really long isosceles triangle with the middle point being the midpoint of your swim.  50m off course!  That's a pretty big error.  Know how much you'll actually swim?  1005 meters.  5 extra meters.  That's a difference of what?  1 or 2 seconds?  Seems wrong, but do the math and see for yourself.

This is why I say sighting is overrated.  If you do ocean swims, like another poster said, bilateral can be very valuable.  But if you are doing it for sighting, you're wasting your time IMHO. 

2008-08-21 5:38 AM

User image

Expert
Fort Wayne, IN
During training I breath every 3rd stroke.  I found during my first (and only so far) race that I could get enough oxygen this way and had to change to breathing every other stroke.  Having teh ability to breath on either side I can see has several advantages including what has already been mentioned here, but i would add it can be an advantage to breath away from and adjacent swimmer that splashes excessively or has a foot about where you want to turn your head to breath.

2008-08-21 8:09 AM

User image

Champion
Butler

I try to work on bilateral breathing just in case I need it in a race but generally breath to one side.  Really the only advantage to being able to bi lateral breath is that if you need to breath on the opposite side for some reason during the race (someone next to your normal breathing side, sighting, etc.). 

It can't hurt to work on bilateral breathing but watch the pros in a race and they breath to one side for a reason.

2008-08-21 9:08 AM

User image

Master
I switched from bilateral breathing every 3rd stroke to every other stroke about a year ago for training. Now, I swim one length breathing on the left and the next breathing on the right, so I still get balanced form and practice but with more oxygen. In races, it's always been every other stroke on my right side.
2008-08-21 10:31 AM

User image

Master
Lake Norman, NC

I mostly swim breathing bilaterally.  But on occaision, I'll breathe every other stroke to the same side.  But what I've found is most important is to switch it every length of the pool.  One length breathing to the right, one length breathing to the left.  An easy way to remember this is to simply always be breathing to the same side of the pool no matter which direction you're going.  Breathing to one side is OK if an individual's body needs the O2 intake.  Just don't become unbalanced by always breathing to one side.

Oh and BTW...  I usually train with bilateral breathing, but race breathing every other stroke to a single side.  The adreniline, the faster pace, the "washing machine effect" - I find I need more air.  So I'll go for 20 strokes breathing to one side and then switch it to the other side.  This allows me to stay balanced, keep myself sighted, goign straight and keep an eye on the competition.

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Swim Question: training breathing vs race breathing?? Rss Feed