General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Help me schedule the long run in my week Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2008-08-21 3:22 AM

Extreme Veteran
Subject: Help me schedule the long run in my week

I've chosen a training plan from Triathlete Mags book of training plans. It has the long ride on a Saturday and long run on a Sunday as below:

Mon

Tue

Wed

Thu

Fri

Sat

Sun

AM

-

Swim

Run Int

Brick

Bike

Long bike

Swim

PM

-

Bike Int

Swim

Light run

Long run

I've read lots here on BT about separating the long ride and long run and like the theory, but not sure how it would work in this plan. Best I can come up with is swapping the Wednesday and Sunday runs to be like this:

Mon

Tue

Wed

Thu

Fri

Sat

Sun

AM

-

Swim

Long run

Brick

Bike

Long bike

Swim

PM

-

Bike Int

Swim

Light run

Run Int

Is this the right way to do it?

My concerns are:

• Having bike intervals the day before and a brick the day after - does this compromise any of the workouts?
  • Is it ok doing run intervals the day after a long ride?

Thanks for the help

Gerrard 

2008-08-21 6:05 AM
in reply to: #1618007

User image

Tyler,
Subject: RE: Help me schedule the long run in my week
I pefer to do it the other way around.
2008-08-21 3:35 PM
in reply to: #1618025

Extreme Veteran
Why is that?
2008-08-21 3:47 PM

User image

Champion
Carlsbad, California

I might suggest that it has a lot to do with how well you can recover from the Long Ride on Saturday. (IE. Will it impact your ability to hit your intervals on Sunday)

It seems to me that you correctly identified like workouts and swapped them. (Both Intervals and the LR are "Hard" and so should in theory be interchangable)

If your set on creating some separation between your long ride and run, than this seems reasonable to me. If your concerned, you could do some more gerimandering of the schedule and try to get a recovery day before the Intervals.

FWIW: I did my long runs early in the morning before work mid-week in my plan and did my long ride on Sunday. (Were I would traditionally put my long run) It worked well although it did make for a long day at work

2008-08-21 4:42 PM

User image

Expert
Colorado Springs, Colorado

Maybe it's just me, but when choosing a plan to follow it would seem the planners had a reason for putting the workouts on certain days. If the plan is not followed as written, the results may not be the same. There are a vast assortment of plans. If you want to separate the long run and ride, maybe you should find a plan that is scheduled that way.

Perhaps a reason for doing long ride on Saturday, long run Sunday is to make sure you'll get used to running long on somewhat tired legs. Plus it may force you to run at a slower pace, which is typically not how many people end up doing their long runs. Hammering out a long run at too fast of a pace makes recovery more difficult and can affect subsequent workouts.

In the matter of switching the days - long run Sat/Long ride Sun - it may be easier to ride long on tired legs.

2008-08-21 4:59 PM

User image

Master
Boynton Beach, FL
I have been doing just that, Saturday long ride and Sunday long run for a few months now. Not that my plan calls for it, but like a lot of other folks I imagine, it is the only time in my schedule all week I can do 2+ hour rides or 1.5-2 hour runs without interuption.

I save the shorter swim, bike, run, strength, interval workouts (45-60min long) for during the week where I can squeeze them in early in the AM before and/or right after work. Mainly for the sanity of my marriage and kids...

Almost every plan I have seen calls for making changes of some kind so that you can fit it into your lifestyle. Otherwise, most people who try to follow it verbatim, just end up disapointed & frustrated because they miss a workout or run into conflicts.

2 cents...

2008-08-21 8:58 PM

Extreme Veteran

Yeah I understand the point about a plan being structured a particular way so I have been reluctant to faff around with it.

The good news is it's a long plan so at least I have plenty of time to try it and see if one options seems to work better for me than the other.

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Help me schedule the long run in my week Rss Feed