General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Even best can't swim straight sometimes Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2008-08-21 11:57 AM

User image

Master
Lake Oswego, OR
Subject: Even best can't swim straight sometimes

Don't feel bad if you are having problems swimming straight, particularly near the end of the race when you are tired. Check out what Davies did in the final few hundred yards of the 10K. At first he looked like he was leading the top group of 3 far left. He then veers to the far right of the finishing shoot allowing Van der Weijen the opportunity to take the lead and capture the gold. Davies post race comments say it all:

"It's going to take a while for it to sink in," Davies said. "At the last bit, I didn't know what was going on."

"I need to learn to swim straight. I know that sounds silly," Davies said.

Third place finisher Lurz made the mistake of following the misdirected Davies at the finish.

"I knew Maarten finished well, so it was important to stay with him," Lurz said. Oops.

http://www.nbcolympics.com/swimming/news/newsid=241658.html#van+weijden+takes+mens

Make sure to watch the video clip

Edited by E=H2O 2008-08-21 11:58 AM

2008-08-21 12:05 PM
in reply to: #1618931

User image

Subject: RE: Even best can't swim straight sometimes

Yup.  He spent the whole race weaving all over the place, yet still almost led wire to wire.  He almost gapped the dutch guy after his finish kick screwup.  He's relatively new to 10K swimming, if he had his sighting down I don't think he gets beaten.

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Even best can't swim straight sometimes Rss Feed