General Discussion Introduce Yourself!!! » Transplanted to Arizona Rss Feed  
Moderators: IndoIronYanti, k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2008-08-21 1:36 PM

User image

Gilbert, Arizona
Subject: Transplanted to Arizona

I moved here to AZ in 2006 and changed jobs from the Superintendent of an Interagency Hotshot Crew (wildland firefighting) in Montana, to a Fire Management Officer job here in the desert.  The move has been great but my fitness has really suffered since moving into management and I have had a hard time getting motivated.  I have always been marveled by what Triathletes can accomplish (since I watched my first Ironman many years ago) and always wondered if I could ever do such a thing.  A friend talked me into giving a sprint distance a shot, so here I am. 

I used to have to push myself everyday because I led (and had to motivate) a bunch of 20 year olds and I have always believed you had to lead from the front before you could lead from the back.  Triathlon has given me some motivation to get myself back into a shape other than round.  I am shooting for my first sprint race in a couple of weeks and have been training in between fire assignments since May.

This site has provided me direction for training, advice on bikes, and an opportunity to devour allot of good ideas. 

That's all for now.  I am off for a ride.

Edited by Rocknfire 2008-08-21 1:42 PM

2008-08-21 2:01 PM
in reply to: #1619270

User image

Elite
Tucson, AZ
Subject: RE: Transplanted to Arizona

Welcome to BT! What part of AZ are you in?

We also have an AZ sub-forum on BT here: http://www.beginnertriathlete.com/discussion/forums/forum-view.asp?fid=32#s

Lots of cool folks always willing to help out or meet up and train.

Good luck in your training and races!

2008-08-22 7:03 PM

User image

Gilbert, Arizona

I am in Mesa.  There are an incredible amount of cyclists who ride near my house.  I started easing into the bicycling part by riding my old heavy mountain bike to work and have graduated to a road bike.  Never was much good at cycling because I have always had cheap bikes that fell apart on me, but having a decent road bike makes biking more enjoyable.  

Hope to cross paths with some of you in the future.

2008-08-22 10:48 PM

Subject: ...
This user's post has been ignored.
2008-08-23 6:39 AM

Master
Surprise, Arizona
Welcome to BT!  You'll find a wealth of information, tools, guidance, and support here.  As pirategirl mentioned and provided a link, the Arizona forum is a great place to get information and make connections locally.  There is a great group of people in your area (East Valley) that does group training sessions out at Saguaro Lake every week.  They also have group rides frequently as well.   Check the ESKCTC threads on the Arizona forum for details.  We also have a member who is a fellow fire fighter wih the Phoenix FD, so you may have some things in common.  Once again - welcome!! 
New Thread
General Discussion Introduce Yourself!!! » Transplanted to Arizona Rss Feed