General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Enjoy Race or Train more? Why? Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 2

2008-08-21 8:15 PM

User image

Champion
MA
Subject: Enjoy Race or Train more? Why?

I was wondering if most of you enjoy racing or training more? Why? Are you competitive in your AG?

In reading 100s of race reports in last few years seems there are some of you that just the thrill of competition and the challenge of it all. Others fall into the race is the carrot to train category.

I enjoy races that are more for the experience type races or for the challenge of it...like my first HIM or my first IM or strange races. I have been struggling with wanting to race shorter tris even if I have signed up for races. My A races I enjoy and look forward to but the shorter little races that I typically train through I often feel like I don't want to do them the week before.

I have a few thoughts why I struggle with this and have on and off for last 3 years. First last two season I haven't improved like I had before. I am hard on myself and sort of competitive with myself so lack of or slow progress annoys me. This year I did all my races other than IM I have done as train through races so it means that I think I could have done better than I have. My swimming sucks and I dislike how that plays out in sprints.

I think big part is mental and as adults we repeat patterns of thinking we learned as kids..we can change but it is hard.

I do enjoy doing relays and somehow mentally they are much more fun for me. I'm not sure how it makes such a big difference for the fun factor but it does.

I am trying to determine what I want to do this fall and do some preliminary planning for next year. If I don't like racing why should I do it? I do like the carrot to train but having an important A race out there motivates me and I love to train. I'm considering not doing C races but just a 3-4 A races and no train through races. I'm looking at other sports and activities I want to try like cyclecross, mountain biking, doing some endurance cycling events.

2008-08-21 8:21 PM
in reply to: #1620118

User image

Champion
Fountain Hills, AZ
Subject: RE: Enjoy Race or Train more? Why?
For me, it's all about the training. I love having a discipline that I adhere to. The race results I get are just icing on the cake.
2008-08-21 8:25 PM

User image

Pro
Brooklyn, NY
I used to think it was about the races, but now that I'm injured and can't train, I realized it is all about the training. I love the training and I didn't know how much until I couldn't do it. I need the races as a goal to work toward and I really do enjoy the races, but I could train really efficiently with one big race and a few smaller races to work toward as a reward for the effort.
2008-08-21 8:56 PM

User image

Elite
DC Metro, slowly working my way to NC

I've found that I have to have races to get off my butt and train.  Not that I dislike training - I've come to really enjoy swimming and the overall good feeling I get after a workout, but I'm a lazy git and need the races to get myself in gear and do anything.

Once I started racing, despite my complete lack of competitiveness, I found that I really, really LOVED racing, even though I'm so slow I think I'm going backwards sometimes.  It's just a ton of fun for me. 

Trixie had a quote in her log that said something along the lines of, "If you can't do something well, learn to enjoy doing it poorly."  I'll never be at AG Nationals, so I'd better be at least having a good time!

My only frustration, and it's an exceptionally minor one, is that I think a relay would be a lot of fun, too, but I'm not strong enough in any discipline to be able to really bring anything to the table for a relay team.

2008-08-21 9:19 PM

User image

Master
Riverside, IL
Even though I'm a tri newbie, I find that committing myself (paying the entrance fee) to an event - whether it be a sprint or olympic triathlon, or even just a local 5k race...keeps me more focused on my training. Don't get me wrong...even if I didn't enter races as a goal, I'd still be busting my butt 7 days a week at the gym. But since I began doing triathlons this summer, it gets me out of the gym and outside - which is something I desperately needed in my very stale workout routine. Unfortunately, I don't live in a year-round outdoor climate...so, over the winter months I'll be back in the gym 7 days a week (I'm NOT a cold-weather person!) doing my normal cardio/weights/spinning/treadmill workouts. I'd have to say that I most definitely fall into the "carrot to train" category...since I generally tend to stress out big time, come raceday...and cannot wait for it to be over with. Of course, once I cross the finish line I feel a sense of calm rush over me...not to mention a major sense of accomplisment.
2008-08-21 9:28 PM

User image

Master
Kirkland, WA

i enjoy the training more, but i also like racing. . i find that leading up to the race, i don't want to do it that much (a few days ahead), because my body typically feels worse after i take a couple days off (even though it is all rested and is better then before), and i think because racing requires me to put forth a lot of effort (driving to the race, camping or getting up early etc.).  but while i race, i have a ton of fun and have had some good results. .

i have been tri-training for a little over a year, and i have had a lot of fun with it.  before, i didn't have that many hobbies or anything i was that passionate about, but now i have a full-time addiction!   

2008-08-21 9:35 PM

Subject: ...
This user's post has been ignored.
2008-08-21 10:02 PM

Master
Lake Oswego, OR
I love to train, but it does help a lot when I have a big event scheduled. It helps me focus on days that I am tired or just not up for training that day. I only schedule 2 -3 big events a season. However, I also love to race short Sprint Tris. I find they are a lot of fun and I enjoy being around and meeting people involved in the sport (I also train alone). The Sprint Tris help me keep sharp and work on transitions as well. My body recovers quickly from them, and I feel like they raise my fitness a level, which I try to maintain in my training the following week.
2008-08-21 10:12 PM

Pro
Husker Nation
I enjoy racing more. Not competitive in my AG - only placed in one event since I started competing in triathlon. I just love to measure how much faster I've gone and beat some people in the process
2008-08-22 1:08 AM

Elite
Denver, Colorado
I feel almost the same as you, and I'm also considering whether triathlons are something that I want to keep doing or whether I want to branch out to other things. Of the three sports, I enjoy cycling the most. I like training the swim but don't care for open water swims. Running has grown on me because it's the simplest to train in terms of equipment (some clothes and running shoes) and I can train whenever I want. I actually like to run when it gets somewhat dark out. Can't ride in the dark.

Also, like you mentioned, I race for the experience. I'm not fast and have no shot at placing in my AG, so I do more to see if I can do it. I've done an off-road sprint and a road sprint. Been there done that, so do I really want to do it again? Right now, I'm seriously planning on doing an October half-marathon just to see if I can do it.

And then there's this little wrinkle. For the longest time I wanted to compete in Olympic weightlifting - there's a masters division just like swimming. I gave it up for various reasons, but now having watched it at the Olympics, my interest has been rekindled. However, strength sports and endurance sports don't mix too well together, even though endurance sports are probably better for my overall health (probably).

Edited by MikeTheBear 2008-08-22 1:18 AM
2008-08-22 1:52 AM

Master
State of Confusion
I love both. I love training because it helps me cope with stress, and it's my "me" time. I love races (the few I do that is) because I love having the goal, the feeling of accomplishment (even though it's "only" a sprint), and the energy of race day. I love it all. I just wish I could do more of both, but do what I can. I am a total MOPer and that's fine with me. I like beating myself.

Edited by NightOwl 2008-08-22 1:54 AM

2008-08-22 2:11 AM

Expert
I race to train....Having a race to look to has kept me training more consistently since I decided to do tris last November than ever before in my life....I am happy about that. My races are done strictly in fun. I am looking to improve but if I never podium it won't bother me in the slightest. If I meet my training goals and I complete the Rock n Rollman HIM next Spring, I will be extremely happy....The weather has kept me out of the pool with all of the pm thunderstorms (and now TS Fay has the pool shut through at least Friday) and I am really mad...In the past I wouldn't have cared but I am so enjoying the training that it is frustrating....
2008-08-22 6:01 AM

Expert
Computerland
I enjoy training more, but without races- I would be less motivated to train as hard. Races give me something to look forward to and I do love to race, but training is more a daily life thing. I don't get to race everyday- but I do get to train everyday. I really enjoy the daily workouts and the way they make me feel afterwards.

Training is a daily thing. That is why I enjoy it more. Like others have said, racing is merely icing on the cake for me.
2008-08-22 6:04 AM

Extreme Veteran
Minnesota

I do this sport because it is fun and keeps me active. I've realized that I will never be able to win my age group, so I have changed my thinking about why I train and race. The race helps keep me on track with training and the training helps keep me active. I just want to have fun and not stress myself out over training or races. Races became much more fun when I just accepted that I wasn't as fast as others out there, essentially because I have so much going on in my life that I don't want to dedicate what is necessary to winning a triathlon.

My goals for doing this sport: have fun, be healthy, be a positive role model for my kids, and encourage other people to try it out! 

2008-08-22 6:27 AM

Elite
Whispering Pines, North Carolina

I started tri'ing this year after I heard some buddies talk about it...I decided to give it a whirl and really liked it. What I didn't expect was how much fun the training has become. I look forward to training now, almost as much as going to a triathlon.

Almost... 

2008-08-22 6:50 AM

Pro
the Alabama part of Pennsylvania

How about the eating?  Can't the eating be a choice? I love being able to eat.

OK, so I guess I'm in the training camp, then.  Since training revs up my metabolism, and allows me to eat.  For me, the races are the incentive to train, since there is a deadline. But when I start to move, I generally enjoy it.  Plus with training rides at least, I can stop at the coffee shop for a refreshing coffee based beverage midway through my usual "long" route. Nobody ever offers me an icy mochachino in a race. 

2008-08-22 6:55 AM

Master
Centennial, CO
I've always said I liked training the best.  This year though, I have really enjoyed the races.  I've found ways to push myself beyond what I thought I could and it has really taken my competitive spirit to a new level.  I think next year, I will relax my racing a bit and go back to love of training though.
2008-08-22 9:45 AM

Expert
Ontario

The race is a goal that keeps me training but the races stress me out ! I can't wait for my last race to be done next month.   Sometimes I want to do other things (hiking, weights, rollerblade) but can't because I don't have the time or don't want to risk injury.( ie.  a hard upper body weight session may negatively impact a planned swim workout the next day).  After Sept I plan to do more different things and may concentrate on running races next year instead of tri's. 

I'd definately say I enjoy the training more.

2008-08-22 9:47 AM

Champion
Butler
I love to race and would do it every weekend if I could but if that was the case my yearly volume would be almost nothing.  I mean in order to race veryweekend you would have to do a sprint and a whole 12 miles or so of biking so you would almost never get a long ride.  I have come to the realization that I am not really that fast so I midas well do distance.  That being said I do enjoy training.
2008-08-22 9:59 AM

Expert
Alpharetta (until we find a home)
If I didnt enjoy the race experience and make the financial commitment to enter a race there would be ZERO chance I would be at the YMCA at 5:15 in the morning. Race>Training although you really cant have one without the other. I enjoy steak but it kinda sucks they have to kill the cow. Thats how I equate my feelings about racing and training. The cow might have a different view though..
2008-08-22 10:05 AM

Runner

I enjoy both, for different reasons.

Training I enjoy because I love running.  I like getting out there, I like having the time to go and engage in one of the simplest activities there is.

I love racing because it's competition.  There's nothing like the single-minded focus for a race, that feeling of sliding along the knife's edge, the tactical application, the predatory nature of chasing others.

2008-08-22 10:09 AM

Master
Reston, VA
I like to train but love race day.

The anticipation before the start, the strategy during the race, the things you learn about yourself and others, the competition and result.

Then the socializing and eating. Race day is one of my favorite days.

2008-08-22 10:14 AM

Master
Western MA near the VT & NH border on the CT river

I race to keep me motivated to train.  I train to keep in shape, lose weight and be ready for snowboard season.  W/out the race, I dont think I would have trained as hard - Golf vs long bike ride?? race is two weeks away, bike ride it is.  I have fun at the race, but I know I wont be on the podium unless there are only two other ppl in my division.  But I do have fun w/ both.  The race for me is the reward for training and thats what makes it fun. 

2008-08-22 10:51 AM

Champion
New York, NY

My answer almost depends on when you ask me.  Some days I think I am more about the training and the race just keeps me motivated as there is a goal.

But the race is also fun - the whole experience - from traveling, the expo, socializing, to the adrenaline of race day and the push to go faster.

Not yet competitive in my age group, not sure if I ever will be, but I am having a blast, love that I can eat whatever I want (sometimes my answer is that I do tris so that I can eat more).  Since I plan to do this forever, maybe when I am 80 I will win my AG (cuz I will be the only one ;-)

This is my first season and I know I have a long way to go - my bike is way ahead of my run and swim (order of magnitude) which only makes me want to focus this winter and get better at those disciplines. 

Sunday is my first olympic distance race, and right now I am just about enjoying the experience - this being the biggest race there is (chicago accenture) it will be about the experience not about doing well.  I am already having fun seeing other triathletes in the hotel, on the bike path....

So to your query Kathy - I guess I like it all! 

2008-08-22 10:54 AM

I agree with Cat. Depends on how I feel on a given day Sometimes my training sucks and I hate it. Sometimes I have a really good run/bike and I like it. Swimming, I either feel good, even though I'm not super-fast, or ambivalent about, never "hate". I'm still in the "my race could suck at any time" stage of triathletism (I just made that word up) since I'm still super-new to all of this, so it really is a crapshoot.
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Enjoy Race or Train more? Why? Rss Feed  

of 2