General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Sprint Tri in Indy 8-23 Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2008-08-22 8:41 AM

User image

Fort Wayne, IN
Subject: Sprint Tri in Indy 8-23

Just got an email that the reservoir has a high blue green algae count.  Maybe no swim tomorrow?  They apparently had the same problem last year and still swam, you just had to hose off after you came out of the water. 

If there's no swim it will be a run-bike-run, which is better than nothing I guess.  It would be pretty dissapointing not to swim, but I also don't want to get sick.  What does blue green algae do to a person?  Anyone know?

2008-08-22 12:58 PM
in reply to: #1620784

User image

Extreme Veteran
Russiaville, IN
Subject: RE: Sprint Tri in Indy 8-23
Here is what I found on Blue Green Algae, I have never encountered large quanities that I know of, good luck tomorrow, I saw that the race is sold out.

Direct contact or breathing airborne droplets containing high levels of blue-green algal toxins during swimming or showering can cause irritation of the skin, eyes, nose and throat and inflammation in the respiratory tract.

Recreational contact, such as swimming, and household contact, such as bathing or showering, with water not visibly affected by a bluegreen algae bloom is not expected to cause health effects. However, some individuals could be especially sensitive to even low levels of algal toxins and might experience mild symptoms such as skin, eye or throat irritation or allergic reactions.

There is less information available about the potential health effects of long-term exposure to low levels of blue-green algal toxins. Some limited evidence from human studies suggests that long-term consumption of untreated surface waters containing high levels of bluegreen algal toxins could be associated with an increased risk of liver cancer. However, people in these studies also were exposed to other factors associated with liver cancer. As a result, it is unknown whether algal toxin exposure contributed to this risk.

Long-term, continuous exposure to algal toxins in the Northeast is unlikely, because blue-green algal blooms are likely to occur only during the hottest part of the summer. New York State public water supplies that use surface water sources also have operational controls to minimize the introduction of blue-green algae in drinking water.

Ron
2008-08-23 12:08 PM

User image

Fort Wayne, IN
Thanks Ron.  Ended up swimming...and as of now, no ill effects.   You could definitely tell it was sold out, I did the one in July as well, and there was a lot more kicking and punching on the swim out versus last time.
2008-08-25 9:47 AM

User image

Master
Lafayette, IN
I got a sore throat after the Tri-Indy Oly last week.  I never thought that maybe the canal water caused that.  Probably did.  No big deal.  It went away after a couple days.
2008-08-25 1:27 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Russiaville, IN
I seem to get a little cold or cough and runny nose after some events, I never thought about it being from the water, hard telling what we are taking in.

2008-08-28 3:07 PM
in reply to: #1626204

User image

Fishers, IN
I often have the sneezes and red eyes for the rest of the day after open water swimming.  I think I have become allergic to something in th ewater.  A guy I work with who does a lot of tris has the same problem.  I haven't found anything to relieve it.

2008-08-28 3:58 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Russiaville, IN
I wonder if they will let us use the the scuba suit with the aerator to breath, boy this swimming thing screw's up everything.

Ron
2008-08-28 4:17 PM
in reply to: #1635849

User image

Fishers, IN

You know, I don't remember having all of these problems when I was a youngster.  I guess I could always just focus on duathalons but it just isn't the same.  I'll keep plugging away at the swim and hope someday it clicks.  At least when the allergies hit it is usually after the race not so much during.

I too was bummed about the Boilerman, I was planning on that being my first OLY!  Hope they get something worked out.  If they don't soon, the people without wetsuits will not come. 

2008-09-10 3:30 PM
in reply to: #1635900

User image

Master
Lafayette, IN
rc63413 - 2008-08-28 4:17 PM

You know, I don't remember having all of these problems when I was a youngster.  I guess I could always just focus on duathalons but it just isn't the same.  I'll keep plugging away at the swim and hope someday it clicks.  At least when the allergies hit it is usually after the race not so much during.

I too was bummed about the Boilerman, I was planning on that being my first OLY!  Hope they get something worked out.  If they don't soon, the people without wetsuits will not come. 

Usually I am fine after a swim.  That water may have been cleaned up a lot, but I probably won't do it next year.  For water to be truly clean, it must move.  Stagnant water is...well...stagnant!

What's up with the Boilerman?

2008-09-10 3:37 PM
in reply to: #1665148

User image

Master
Lafayette, IN
Gregkl - 2008-09-10 3:30 PM
rc63413 - 2008-08-28 4:17 PM

Usually I am fine after a swim.  That water may have been cleaned up a lot, but I probably won't do it next year.  For water to be truly clean, it must move.  Stagnant water is...well...stagnant!

What's up with the Boilerman?

Never mind about the Boilerman.  I just checked their website. 

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Sprint Tri in Indy 8-23 Rss Feed