General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Doing your first Tri...and had cancer? Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2008-08-22 1:50 PM

New user

Subject: Doing your first Tri...and had cancer?

Greetings my fellow Triathletes! Tongue out

I am in training for my first sprint Triathlon on October 5th. I started training about 8 weeks ago and I am excited and nervous at the same time.

I am curious if there are other cancer survivors out there who have been inspired to train for a triathlon? I spent most of 2007 going getting diagnosed, treated...and cured of Hodgkin's Lymphoma (stage II). I had 4 months of ABVD chemotherapy, and 17 sessions of radiation. I finished my treatment last August.

Late last year some of our friends started road biking and it sounded like a lot of fun. Once I started to get some energy back we started working out, and bought our first road bike (mine is a Trek 2.1 WSD..I LOVE it!). We ride every Sunday in group rides and try to ride a few days during the week as well. My first hurlde was our 40 mile charity ride in July. If you can't tell I'm hooked on the high of biking and have started the transition into the triathlon activities.

So my question out there is I would love to hear if there are others out there who have success stories, words of wisdome etc.

I still face challenges with my body not bending like it used to as well as major foot cramps due to lingering effects of the neuropathy. Fortunately I am in remision but my body was put through a lot to get there. Of course the one good side effect is the new sexy curly hair!

Thanks for listening!

Jen

2008-08-23 10:12 AM
in reply to: #1621840

User image

Master
Finally north of the Mason-Dixon Line
Subject: RE: Doing your first Tri...and had cancer?

Welcome and congratulations on beating cancer!   good for you for setting your sights on a triathlon.

there are BT members who are fighting cancer right now (bunnyrunner), are survivors like yourself and have lost family to cancer (mman).  I am sure many people will respond to your question.

Welcome and happy training!

Cathleen

2008-08-28 12:24 AM

User image

North Georgia
Great to hear your story. Inspirational actually. Had a mediastinoscopy and Chamberlain to check out some nodes in May. Docs thought they were dealing with Hodgkins but all of the biopsies were benign. I am really thankful. Since I am still experiencing some Hodgkin-like symptoms, the oncologist is sending me for another scan in October to follow up on a mass that they were only able to reach and biopsy via needle. I am doing well and believe my health will continue to be well, but there are times when I don't feel great and I wonder.

I started to train in February and ran my first 5K 3 days before surgery. I am just getting back to training. My goal is a first tri in June 2009. I am currently running and swimming and I need to relearn how to ride (not to mention own) a bike.

Thanks for sharing from your experiences. It is REALLY good to hear from someone who has been through it and is back at it!

Andi
2008-08-31 1:19 AM

User image

Master
San Diego, CA

Hi Jen,

Congrats on beating Hodgkin's !  Sounds like it was not easy, but you did it  - YEAH !

I had surgery in June 2007 for bladder cancer to remove 2 malignant tumors.  It was detected early, and I did not have to have any treatment other than the surgery. 

There were a lot of people on BT who shared similar struggles and were so encouraging.

I did IMFL (Nov'07), Tucson Marathon (Dec'07), IMAZ (Apr'08) , San Diego RnR marathon (June '08), and the OC IM Blazeman (June '08) subsequently.  I am currently training for the NYC Marathon (Nov'08).

I am still slow, but I was slow before the bladder stuff ever happened.

Good Luck in your training.

We look forward to hearing about your adventures!

Dan 

2008-08-31 1:43 PM

User image

Pro
MA

Congrats of beating Hodgkin's.   

Check out the Danskin Women's Traithlon series.  The first wave of each race are all cancer survisors. 

Yes, there are a number of BTers who have battled / are battling with cancer. 

Welcome to BT

2008-08-31 10:44 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Colo Springs, CO
Congratulations on finishing your treatments! I just completed my first triathlon as a part of Team in Training which does fundraising for The Leukemia & Lymphoma Society. Team in Training has chapters all over the U.S. and Canada, you might want to see if there is one near you. Each team has a "Team Hero" who is someone that is currently in treatment or has had a blood cancer. Meeting our team hero was very inspiring for me.

Check it out at www.Teamintraining.org.

And good luck on your training!

2008-09-28 9:21 AM

Regular
Round Lake, Illinois
I found out I had testicular cancer back in March 2007. I had been doing triathlons for about 4 years at that point, all sprint and some olympic. During that period (pre-cancer), I had never wanted to do more than an olympic distance race. Now I find myself training for a half and keeping an open mind about a full.

My first tri as a cancer survior was 4 monthes after surgery and radiation. And it sucked. If that would have been my first tri, I would have never done another one. But since I had done that same coarse before, I knew I could do better. So I stuck with it, and this year was much better. I did 3 sprints and 2 olympics this year, and I feel great.

If you start to feel bad during the tri, just think back to how you felt after a few cycles of chemo. My guess is that this will not even compare. If you can beat cancer, you can beat anything this tri can throw at you.

Congrats, and enjoy the tri.
2008-09-28 9:36 AM
in reply to: #1640407

Champion
South Jersey

Congrats on beating cancer, and for training for a tri!

People definitely have had success -- I have a good friend who finished chemo and completed a full Ironman only 13 weeks later .

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Doing your first Tri...and had cancer? Rss Feed