General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Swimming and claustrophobia Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2008-08-22 7:19 PM

Subject: Swimming and claustrophobia
Hello everyone,

I thought I would ask the experts for some help. I have a client that I am training for a tri next year. She is in her 40s and probably has not been in the pool for 20+ years. Even then, she cannot really swim (which is not really the problem). My challenge is that she is claustrophobic. She doesn't have a fear of the water or putting her face in, she panics mid-stroke and has to stop.

Sometimes she can swim all the way down and be fine and other times she stops mid way which tells me she has it in her to swim. She panics and needs to catch her breath and realizes she is under water. My question is has anyone ever worked with someone like this or been like this and how have you overcome it? The positive note is that for 3 straight days she has come back to work on it when she could have easily packed it up and called it quits. She wants to do this, but I am not sure how to coach her over this. If anyone has any thoughts I can share with her besides just keep coming back and practicing, I would really appreciate it.

Regards,
Brian

2008-08-23 9:05 AM
in reply to: #1622501

Regular
Subject: RE: Swimming and claustrophobia
Try having her balance on her back, kicking gently, until she is confident that the water will support her weight.  When she does attempt freestyle, have her close her eyes.  I do this when in murky water sometimes if I start to feel slightly claustrophobic.  Have her do some drills where she is thinking too hard about what she needs to be doing to let her mind have room to freak out.  Hope this helps.
2008-08-23 2:09 PM

User image

Veteran
Ontario, Canada
I find I feel  claustrophobic when I have on regular goggles.  It's hard to explain, but they limit my view of what's around me.  This kind of makes my mind feel like I'm trapped and in a very narrow space (Ya, it's weird I know) .  When I switched to the Aquasphere Seal goggles, they made a world of difference.  You can see everything around you, there's nothing obstructing your vision and you just see open space.  I don't get that 'the world's closing in on me' feeling when I wear them.
2008-08-23 2:20 PM

User image

Pro
the Alabama part of Pennsylvania

If she can distract herself from her thoughts that drive the panic, that may help.  Counting strokes, focus on form, anything that requires some mental effort can help.  She could also talk to her physician about using a beta-blocking drug like propranolol (Inderal) at a very low dose to keep her from having a physiological panic response. 

Alternatively, if her anxious thoughts revolve around the realization that she is in the water, exposure can help.  In the shallow end, where she has zero chance of drowning, have her stand in the water and deliberately think "I am in the water" (or whatever the phobic thought is).  Then put her face in, same thing.  Then submerge her whole body.  Do this without the swimming, to acclimate to the water and the thoughts, without increasing her physical effort (and her odds of a panic reaction).

Also, she might be triggering a panic attack by being changing her blood CO2.  Have her work on breathing in a controlled fashion.  Swimming more slowly may help with this.

2008-08-23 3:36 PM
in reply to: #1623217

User image

Master
Victoria, BC
gearboy - 2008-08-23 12:20 PM

Also, she might be triggering a panic attack by being changing her blood CO2.  Have her work on breathing in a controlled fashion.  Swimming more slowly may help with this.

X2 on learning how to breath in a controlled fashion.

I had horrible panic attacks and suffered that claustrophobic feeling when I first learned how to swim a few years ago (in my mid-30's, having no swim background). I too would have to stop mid-lane, pop my head up and tread water for a few breaths so the panic would pass.
Then I learned how to breath properly, control my breathing, exhale COMPLETELY under water, and slow things down ... and it worked wonders for me. I felt like I was in control, no matter where in the lane or the lake I was, I understood that I could control my body and my reaction to the water.

Good luck.
2008-08-23 11:11 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Dearborn, Michigan, USA.
I just wrote on this topic. Here's the link, I hope you find it somehow useful:

http://www.bikesportmichigan.com/editorials/0000129.shtml

2008-08-24 10:19 AM

Thanks to everyone that has responded. I will try all of your advice/techniques. I know she can do it.

Please feel free to keep the responses coming.

Best,
Brian
2008-08-24 11:14 PM

User image

Master
Lake Oswego, OR
This is a very complex situation involving a person's psychology and maybe physiology. Good advice has been offered and I'm no doctor; but you might ask if the individual suffers from panic attacks in any other situation or is prone to anxiety attacks. If the answer is no, the use of positive imagery might help.
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Swimming and claustrophobia Rss Feed