General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Need some objective advice Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2008-08-23 9:34 AM

User image

Veteran
Subject: Need some objective advice
This is my first full triathlon season.  I have been training consistently since the beginning of the year.  I did an olympic in early July, one in August and have one scheduled three weeks from now.  I have some ITB issues in my right knee (pretty sure its ITB because I've had the same thing in my other knee).  I haven't run in two weeks but there is still pain after biking and even swimming.  I think my only chance of making the race three weeks from now is resting completely.  With some luck I may be able to swim some the week before the race.  How much fitness will I loose in two weeks?  Can I make it?

2008-08-23 1:42 PM
in reply to: #1622957

User image

Expert
oregon ave,
Subject: RE: Need some objective advice
How much is hard to quantify but you will lose some no doubt.  You'll be able to complete it but not with your best times and maybe a little struggle too.  I would be more concerned about causing further damage that takes you out for much longer.  Be careful.
2008-08-25 9:59 AM
in reply to: #1623175

User image

Expert
Lake Forest, Illinois

mikep - 2008-08-23 1:42 PM How much is hard to quantify but you will lose some no doubt.  You'll be able to complete it but not with your best times and maybe a little struggle too.  I would be more concerned about causing further damage that takes you out for much longer.  Be careful.

x2

The fact that your are feeling it while swimming doesn't sound good.  If you have the means to see a sports ortho and describe your goal of completing the race you will probably get a better assessment of your risks.  There are some techniques that can be used by PTs or MTs (sports/clinical) to give you a bit of relief prior to race but most won't want to work on you without an M.D. OK at that stage (I wouldn't want to).

Good luck!

Joshua

Edited by jmcelroy 2008-08-25 9:59 AM
2008-08-25 10:33 PM

User image

Master
Boynton Beach, FL
IMHO, sounds like you have had good 1st season and after personally experiencing the curse referred to as ITBS myself, suggestion would be to end the season on a high note and get that injury out of sight and out of mind. This is objective as you asked. You know going in that race will likely not be your best so why not make recovery and the rehab early start to next seaon?

I pushed my ITBS and was out 8-10 weeks before being able to run again and if you think the fitness losses are bad after 2 weeks, it could be much worse if not dealt with. Although mine never hurt on swim which is what I was reduced to for that timeframe. Good luck either way you choose...

2 cents...
2008-08-26 6:53 PM

User image

Colorado

I agree you don't want to hurt yourself any more.

I had a personal experience with little to no training for 2 weeks prior to a triathlon.  It had to do with a serious family emergency, but the weird thing was, it was the best race I ever had pace-wise for all 3 sports.  The downside was that I hurt more the next day than I would have had I been training.  I don't know if that's typical or not, but thought I'd share.

Feel better soon!

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Need some objective advice Rss Feed