General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Pain on outlide of left knee after ~9 miles Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2008-08-23 3:31 PM

New user

Subject: Pain on outlide of left knee after ~9 miles

I have been running 3-6 miles on a sporadic basis (i.e. on & off training) for about 15 years now.  I have resumed  regular running over the past month or so, doing a couple of 5k runs per week through hilly terrain or in the gym track doing intervals.  No issues at all.  I did my 1st sprint tri last Saturday, and it went great.

Today I went running with my wife, who is training for a 1/2 marathon, the original goal was ~8.5 miles, but I was feeling good, and figured I'd push for another few miles.  I ended up doing 11 or so in total.  My pace was probably around 9:45 or so, had plenty of reserve in the legs, and breathing was fine.

Around mile 9 or so, I start getting this pain in the left outside of my knee.  It comes and goes, but by mile 10, I had to start mixing up walking and running as the pain got pretty bad.  There was no trauma i.e. slip or lost footing.  One key observation is the paved trail/road had a pitch to it, and I think that was causing the flare up.  By the end, I was at about a 11-12 min. pace, and my strides were turning into a shuffle. 

My conclusion is that I went beyond the capacity of my tendons & ligaments which caused the discomfort.  Logic would suggest that going from ~35 min runs in the hills to a 130 minute run on a pitched road would be a shock to my body. 

I am considering doing the 1/2 marathon with her, which is in 9 weeks.  But - I don't want to hurt myself by being gung-ho in the process.  

I would suspect that if I get a few 8-mile runs in on some variable terrain it will allow me to get past the threshold I was at today.  I think the obstacle is getting my tendons & ligaments accustomed to the work. 

If you have experience with anything like this I'd be interested in hearing.  Thanks...!

2008-08-23 10:29 PM
in reply to: #1623276

User image

Elite
Subject: RE: Pain on outlide of left knee after ~9 miles
You either just completely over did it. Or you over did it, and then as a result your form started to suffer and as a result you strained your ITB. Someone people on the boards here were down for a long time as a result of straining their IT band, others like myself were able to come back quicker. Banked surfaces definitely can strain it, but hopefully you just over did it and temporarily broke your body down.
2008-08-23 11:06 PM

User image

Expert
Milwaukee, Wisconsin

x2 on the IT band

Mine flared up out of the blue and took me out for a while.  Be sure to stretch out really well before you start running. Ice and motrin can help too.

Good luck!

2008-08-24 1:53 PM

New user

Thanks for the input.  I had done some research last night and came to the same conclusion, too much training too fast, muscles and lungs have good memory, but the joints etc. are another story, and ITB inflammation is the result.

I found some how-to's on ITB stretches, which I'll do as well as take 600mg Motrin for a few days, and maybe try to do some very light swimming i.e. 100 yards later in the week and see how it feels.  No running for at least a week, and then it will be very slow and for very short distances to see whats happening.

My suspicion is that I have a hip alignment issue, this caused me to get patellofemoral syndrome a few years ago on the same leg.  I am going to use the 'downtime' to try and get better on stretches and preventive exercises.

Thanks again....Andrew

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Pain on outlide of left knee after ~9 miles Rss Feed