General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Soleus problems Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2008-08-23 6:41 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Zephyrhills, FL
Subject: Soleus problems
anyone have any soleus problems? i think i pulled mine the other day and i tried running on it again today and i could only run for about 8 minutes before it started to hurt again. if anyone has had any problems with it, how long did you stay off it and/or what did they do to aid in the healing process? thanks for any help guys, i appreciate it

and for those of you who are wondering what the soleus is, its the muscle underneath your calf that goes from the back of your knee down to your achilles

2008-08-25 9:53 AM
in reply to: #1623462

User image

Expert
Lake Forest, Illinois
Subject: RE: Soleus problems

JonCT - 2008-08-23 6:41 PM anyone have any soleus problems? i think i pulled mine the other day and i tried running on it again today and i could only run for about 8 minutes before it started to hurt again. if anyone has had any problems with it, how long did you stay off it and/or what did they do to aid in the healing process? thanks for any help guys, i appreciate it and for those of you who are wondering what the soleus is, its the muscle underneath your calf that goes from the back of your knee down to your achilles

I haven't personally had this issue myself although I have treated athletes with it.

From my experience it depends on how high or low the injury occurs.  The closer it is to the achilles tendon the longer it seems to take to fully resolve.

I'm not an M.D. but athletes I have seen with the injury are generally told to not stress it for a minimum of five days (mild strain) to significantly longer the greater the degree of the strain is.

As far as other treatment methods.  I personally don't know of many for mild strains.  Most of the athletes are told to R.I.C.E. and take anti inflamatories.  When the initial swelling and pain drop off then it's off to rehab.  I'm sometimes asked to help them work through the issue because of a key race or something similar but I don't recommend doing that as the potential for greater injury is high.

Good luck!

Joshua

2008-08-25 4:07 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Mountain View, CA
I pulled or did something weird to mine about two years ago. I stayed off of it for a week, icing it every night, and it wasn't helping much, so I ended up getting a sports massage therapist to work on it. There was actually a lump there that you could feel, so she knew right where the problem was. After my session with her my calf felt like it'd been run over by a truck. The next day it hurt a lot less, and the day after it was as good as new and I started running again.
2008-08-25 4:18 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Westchester, NY
dude.. this WAS a reoccuring problem for me.. for like 6-8 months.. it was awful .. just as I was starting to make progress again.. bang.. it'd pull again..

the savior ? a foam roller after every run ..

first, you have to let the pull heal.. give it the foam first.. let the knot/pull get some blood.. then after a week or so .. run lightly, foam roller.. and then as you start to strenghthen continue to use the foam roller after every run .. my pulls stopped 3 months ago and I am rockin' ...
2008-08-25 6:24 PM

User image

Giver

I ruptured mine close to 12 weeks ago, diagnosed by MRI. Strained it, ran almost 24 miles 5 days later and then raced fast on it a week after that. It was sore prior, but at 2 miles into the 10K, it popped--literally felt like someone had hit me in the back of the leg. It was only a partial rupture, so my doc advised strengthening and cutting my mileage in half. If it had been fully ruptured, it would have been surgery. Complete healing time was about 9 weeks.

How do you know it's your soleus? You'd probably do good getting it looked at.

2008-08-26 3:18 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Zephyrhills, FL
thanks for the help guys, i appreciate it. im going to stay off it a few more days and see how it feels with a little jogging. i have been rolling it a little, and trying to give it some rest, so we'll see how that goes

run4...im assuming its just a pull, i didnt feel any pop, and it had been tight leading up to the day that it really became sore. and the pain is right below my calf, but too high to be my achilles, so looking at diagrams of the lower leg, thats what i came up with.

2008-08-28 1:38 PM

Regular
WI
I just re-injured my soleus 2 weeks ago after having strained it last summer in a triathlon. I thought that my injury last summer was due to no warm-up before the tri, but the most recent re-injury was on a leisurely 5 mile run. I have a foam roller, but it's hard to get it to work the area well, so I'm going to try getting "the stick" to see if that works better.
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Soleus problems Rss Feed