General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Training volume, focus and dedication: The Olympic spectator's take-away. Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2008-08-23 10:49 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Dearborn, Michigan, USA.
Subject: Training volume, focus and dedication: The Olympic spectator's take-away.
Watching Kenya's Wanjiru win the Olympic Marathon, Jan Frodeno of Germany win the men's triathlon and Emma Snowsill with her commanding run in the Women's Triathlon combined with the Men's and women's marathon 10K Open Water Swim and, of course, the incredible achievments of Michael Phelps I take one predominant impression (of many) from these Olympic Games:

The volume of training the athletes do along with their devotion and meticulous attention to detail.

Us normal folk who do athletics for fun and fitness often lose sight of this devoutness, this plain old hard work, these athletes do to get where they are.

When we are on these forums asking each other, "Have I done too much?" They are wondering, "How can I do more?" When we are asking, "How can I heal this pain from training?" They ask themselves, "How can I get out and train again?" And when they have setbacks- and they all do- they seem to weather them with unusual grace and tenacity.

When I see the Olympics it makes training easier. It reminds me, it's the price of admission.

2008-08-23 11:22 PM
in reply to: #1623678

User image

Subject: RE: Training volume, focus and dedication: The Olympic spectator's take-away.
I raced a tri today with a 10 mile run leg.  Mile 9 hurt.  bad.  I thought of S Whitfield's statement about coming back after getting dropped in beijing.  "I did it because I knew I could."  I think I will be using that again in the future.......
2008-08-23 11:47 PM
in reply to: #1623706

User image

Extreme Veteran
Dearborn, Michigan, USA.
Subject: RE: Training volume, focus and dedication: The Olympic spectator's take-away.
Good on ya. Whitfield's performance was an inspiration.

Sometimes when I'm having trouble getting out the door I tell myself, "This is what you do. Do what you do..."

It usually works...
2008-08-24 6:35 AM

User image

Expert
FL

There is no doubt that these athletes put in just crazy time getting prepared and usually it is over many years.  Most of us can't fathom training for something for 10 or 15 years to get to one event in their whole life that becomes the focus point for all this time.  

Then to have a bad day.....   

2008-08-24 10:13 AM

User image

Elite
Spring, TX

There's no doubt their will to succeed sets them apart from the rest.  I sat and watched all of them with awe.

Still, I read this forum(and others) and see a lot of "regular folk" asking, "Can I do more?" or "What details should I pay attention to?"  A lot of the times they're asking the right questions, but don't always get the best answers. 

Also, plain old hard work isn't nearly as fun as buying new gear for my bike!

2008-08-24 10:34 AM

User image

Expert
Simi Valley
I watched everyone of those races as well and was blown away.  That being said - I am far more inspired by the mortals on this board.  I am coming up on my first tri (and knowing that it is in no way the first step towards olympic glory) and I find myself pulling from the stories here, the Inspires i have been getting, and the training ideas.  I am struck by how good people are doing all they can with the resources and time they have to pursue their goals and dreams.  Good on ya all!

2008-08-24 12:35 PM

User image

Elite
Boise

Outside Magazine had a cover article about the Fittest Real Athletes in the country. People who work full time 9-5 and still compete quite well in their respective sports. One guy was a triathlete who had placed 45th(I think) in Kona and was some kind of engineer(I think). It was interesting to read about them.

Edit: Here's the link to their web page http://outside.away.com/outside/bodywork/200809/fittest-real-athlet...

Edited by JoshR 2008-08-24 12:35 PM

2008-08-24 12:52 PM
in reply to: #1623714

User image

Master
Lafayette, IN

Thomas Demerly - 2008-08-23 11:47 PM Good on ya. Whitfield's performance was an inspiration. Sometimes when I'm having trouble getting out the door I tell myself, "This is what you do. Do what you do..." It usually works...

Tom,

That is a good quote.  It reminds me of something I heard some champion saying that training when one wants to is good, but training when one does not want to is what makes a real difference in one's success.

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Training volume, focus and dedication: The Olympic spectator's take-away. Rss Feed