General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Oly. Nutrition Plan Questions Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2008-08-24 7:47 AM

newport news
Subject: Oly. Nutrition Plan Questions
I expect that my first Olympic Tri is going to take a little over three hours to complete. The event begins at 9 am. I plan on eating the following:

7 am. 2 slices whole wheat bread
1 banana
Tbs. peanut butter
Tbs. mayo
20 oz. Gatorade 690 calories

8:45 1 GU gel 100 calories

Two 20 oz. bottles of Gatorade on the bike to be consumed during the ride
260 calories

10:15 1 GU gel 100 calories

11:15 1 GU gel 100 calories

Only water during the run

560 total calories total for the 3.5 hour event. I think thats about right.

Is it O.K. to take the gels with a Gatorade chaser rather than plain water?

What do you think? Would you make any changes?

2008-08-24 8:52 AM
in reply to: #1623795

User image

Champion
Montague Gold Mines, Nova Scotia
Subject: RE: Oly. Nutrition Plan Questions

I've written some general throughts on short course nutrition here.

Specifically, I think your breakfast might be overdoing it and I would try to eat 3 hours before race start.  I also think if you can tolerate it (test this in training) it's better to stick with liquid nutrition on the morning of a race (i.e. Boost, Ensure).  For most, I think in the range of 250-500Cal is a solid breakfast and then sipping either water or sports drink until the race.

The gel before the race should be fine (with water) and your bike plan looks like it might be a little high on the calorie side; I would probably try just the two bottles of Gatorade if you plan to be on the bike for around 2 hours (basically for an Oly, I would look to be around 200-250Cal/hr - again test in training).

Water only on the run should be fine, although if you can stomach it, I would consider a gel around 2-4km.

Gels should be taken with water; basically gels are just concentrated sports drink and you want to water to dilute it in order to be able to digest it; taking them with sports drink is just going to slow the process.

Good luck,

Shane

2008-08-24 11:48 AM
in reply to: #1623795

User image

Pro
Melbourne FL
Gold member
Subject: RE: Oly. Nutrition Plan Questions

Here's a BT article that has some ideas.

I do the same thing before any race, sprint to HIM.  I wake and have a banana and coffee, that's it.  I eat well prior to race day so I don't worry about race day morning meals. Your plan has a lot of calories to be digested, and the mayo, yuck!  Read the pre-race meal section in this article for some additional information, in fact read the entire handbook when you get a chance as it will provide you with the basic understandings of race nutrition.

For an Oly this is what I do:

• ~10 min before race I have a gel (I mostly use cranksports e-gels 150 cal)
  • I use water only on the bike and will take a gel once I get settled in and again near the end.
  • During the run I take a bits of water and have taken some sports drink on the course or a gel if I feel like I need it.

Oh, it is not recommended to take gels with GA, gels should be consumed with ~ 6-8oz water to ensure proper absorbtion, they typically state this on the gel packets.  Taken with GA may cause you to have GI distress issues.

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Oly. Nutrition Plan Questions Rss Feed