General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Giro Advantage 2 to small? Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2008-08-24 8:22 AM

User image

Tallahassee and St. Augustine
Subject: Giro Advantage 2 to small?

Hey all,

I just got my Giro Advantage 2 in the mail a day or so ago and im trying to decide weather or not its to small. I ordered a medium, which is the same I wear with Giro road helmet. It fits right around the adjustable band but the ear pieces are more of my concern.

How tight should it be? Any advice on this matter?

thanks

josh 

2008-08-24 1:09 PM
in reply to: #1623816

User image

Extreme Veteran
Subject: RE: Giro Advantage 2 to small?

I raced for the first time in my Advantage 2 today. I've got a pumpkin head, so was sure to order a large. It is a tight squeeze going over the ears, but I don't feel them once it is on.

One thing I noticed about it (and wish it was designed a little different) is that I have to adjust the straps around my ears once it is on and clipped. No matter how careful I am to hold them in place, they end up getting in between my ear and the flap and makes it feel like the helmet doesn't fit.

Today, once I got going, I managed to get things fixed with just one tug on the right side and I was good to go.

2008-08-24 2:37 PM
in reply to: #1623816

User image

Extreme Veteran
Dearborn, Michigan, USA.
My initial reaction with the Giro Advantage 2 was that they ran small. I take a medium in a Giro Ionos and a Medium in a Bell road helmet also. I'm wearing the M/L size in the Spiuk Crono aero helmet, which is a "one size fits most" helmet.

When I tried a large it was absurdly big. Firstly, I looked like the Great Kazoo and secondly the ears weren't much looser than the medium- it was just the darn helmet was too large overall.

I'm told the ears on the Advantage 2 should be snug to maximize aero performance and prevent a lot of wind from getting between the helmet and your head. That makes putting it on in transition something your want to practice before race day. Also, your sunglsses go on aftr the aero helmet- another thing you want to run yourself through a few times before race day.

Ultimately I found I did wear a medium. The large was simply too big and the ears weren't that much looser. Apparently, part and parcel to an aero helmet improving aerodynamics is preventing a lot of air from getting between the helmet and the head. Giro snugged up the fit of the ears on the Advantage 2 to facilitate that.
2008-08-24 5:18 PM
in reply to: #1624126

User image

Extreme Veteran

Thomas Demerly - 2008-08-24 2:37 PM Firstly, I looked like the Great Kazoo 

There is that....since I've got the charcoal on black one, Dark Helmet from Space Balls was the first thing that came to mind for me. 

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Giro Advantage 2 to small? Rss Feed