General Discussion Triathlon Talk » road bike setup and commuting Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2008-08-24 9:05 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Subject: road bike setup and commuting
I have a question, I guess it's muscular related...

I am going to start cycling to work starting either Tuesday or Wednesday. I'll be using my road bike. Over the weekend I took off the aerobars so I could fit a light and computer on the bars. I wasn't sure if I should put my old road bike seat post on though, right now I have a Profile Design Fast Forward seat post. My commute is 8.5 miles both ways. The most miles I've biked in one week was 209 miles, so commuting mileage shouldn't be an issue, even if I throw a century in on the weekend (wouldn't want to do that too often though :-]). I was thinking this:

Option A - keep it on, and maintain some type of triathlon muscular strength/endurance over the course of my "off time". Or could I overuse the muscles over time if I do this?

Option B - remove it and put my old road bike seat post back on, and build up different cycling muscles in the leg, maybe not as beneficial to triathlon. Will this "save" my triathlon specific muscles from being overused?

Option C - does it really matter? should I do whatever is more comfy since I'll be doing this as much as possible? I can spin a lot easier when further back on the bike.

I appreciate any input, or other options!

2008-08-24 9:10 AM
in reply to: #1623840

User image

Champion
Montague Gold Mines, Nova Scotia
Subject: RE: road bike setup and commuting

I cycle commute all year and although I've just gotten rid of my MTB (two winters were not kind to it) I used it for 90% of my cycle commuting.

If I were you, I would put the old post on and just ride; the key thing is just to put miles in the legs over the fall/winter/spring.  As race season approaches, switch back to your race setup and within a few weeks, you should be fine as far as adapting to the position.

Shane

2008-08-24 10:55 AM
in reply to: #1623840

User image

Extreme Veteran
Minnetonka, MN
Subject: RE: road bike setup and commuting
I ride a Bianchi San Jose around 100 miles to and from work weekly.

It has only helped my tri-bike speed and endurance, despite MUCH more relaxed geometry.

I would set it up for comfort as a commuter.
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » road bike setup and commuting Rss Feed