General Discussion Triathlon Talk » IMs in Australia Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2008-08-24 11:07 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Brambleton, VA
Subject: IMs in Australia
Looking for family friendly IMs in Australia that would be a good first IM. I understand IM Busselton is supposed to be a great race. Any other suggestions?

Edited by swiss tri 2008-08-24 11:07 AM

2008-08-24 8:59 PM
in reply to: #1623934

User image

Veteran
Perth, Oz
Subject: RE: IMs in Australia

Hey there

IM Busso is an awesome race.  Its the only IM I have done though so I'm nto an expert.

the other IM in Australia is Port Macquarie in April. 

IM Busso is completely flat,  The swim is beautiful round the very long Busselton Jetty.  Ride is completely flat and mostly sheltered on fabulous roads (most of the course is on hotmix).  and the run is along the busselton foreshore again completely flat. 

IM Port Mac is a bit tougher with some hills.  the swim can be a bit shallow in places.   there is a tough hill on the bike course which you ahve to do 3 times and the roads are a bit rough (apparently as I said I haven't done this course so from what friends ahve told me)  my friend saw koalas out on the bike course thats pretty cool.       the run has a few hills in too but I don't think they are too tough.

hope that helps a bit.  I can answer any questions about busso. 

2008-08-25 9:04 PM
in reply to: #1624638

New user

Hello Splerph,

I am seriously considering IMWA on December 07. Would you recommend staying directly in Busselton or are some of the surrounding towns close enough? My wife likes "luxury" or spa resort type accommodations and was looking at some of the winery areas. Would that be too far? I do not mind a drive of 16 to 30 km.

How is the scuba diving near the jetty in Busselton? Any recommendations for good diving tours in the area?

Thanks,

Allan
2008-08-25 10:12 PM

User image

Veteran
Auckland
I would second WA, a great venue for a first IM. Nice swim around the Jetty and great cycle and bike courses.
2008-08-25 10:13 PM
in reply to: #1627615

User image

Veteran
Auckland
Busselton is Great, we stayed at the Abbey Beach Resort which is about 5-6kms out of town along the waterfront. I would recommend getting a car unless you are staying in the centre of town as the bus service is a little sporadic.
2008-08-25 10:14 PM
in reply to: #1627615

User image

Veteran
Perth, Oz

eye3md - 2008-08-26 10:04 AM Hello Splerph, I am seriously considering IMWA on December 07. Would you recommend staying directly in Busselton or are some of the surrounding towns close enough? My wife likes "luxury" or spa resort type accommodations and was looking at some of the winery areas. Would that be too far? I do not mind a drive of 16 to 30 km. How is the scuba diving near the jetty in Busselton? Any recommendations for good diving tours in the area? Thanks, Allan

Hey Allan

awesome you won't regret it if you do head down here to race!  I'll be there on the start line again this year hopefully.

I think you might find it hard to get Accom directly in Busselton at the moment, its probably close to booked out.  unfortunately its the same week as schoolies so the accom gets booked very quickly.   I normally stay about 15mins drive out of Busselton close to Dunsborough.   The towns around Busselton are beautiful and probably a bit more interesting to stay in.  Dunsborough Yallinyup and Margaret River (or in between) would all be fine to stay.  (although Margarets might be a just a bit too much of a drive,  keep in mind you'll be driving to the race start in the dark and thats prime Kangaroo time, its fairly bush area lots of roos dusk to dawn time

there are plenty of luxury type accom down there and some resort places too.  check out this website has lots of info on it http://www.geographebay.com/

Hmm the diving around the jetty in busso isn't that exciting,  Right at the end of the jetty is a bit interesting but you can pretty much see it all just swimming on the surface.  There is an underwater observatory at the end of the jetty which is worth a look.  

however there is some great diving just out of Dunsborough, theres a wreck  HMAS Swan that was decommissioned and sunk as a dive ship.  Its only about 50ms of shore I think.  I haven't dived on it but its sposed to be great.   And in Dec should be perfect diving conditions down there.

for other diving it depends on how long you ahve to spend around these areas.  Obviously you'll have to fly in to Perth and then drive down to Busso for the race, But if you have time to spend in Perth, I'd recommend a trip over to rottnest Island 30min ferry trip  there is some fabulous diving off Rotto,   beautiful reef with heaps and heaps of fish, crayfish and coral.   you can do a dive tour from Perth itself or rottnest island

and then if you have even more time a trip up to Ningaloo reef for some of the best diving I've ever done.  Ningaloo Reef is just off coral bay, most of the reef you can swim out too.   its better then the Great Barrier Reef I think.      but you really need to spend some time to drive up there.

let me know if you need any more info     bout the area or the race.

2008-08-26 5:59 AM
in reply to: #1627849

New user

Splerph,

Fantastic info!!! Thank you very much.

From the east coast of the USA, it is a LONG flight, but I am sure it will all be worth it once I get to that start (and hopefully) finish line. I have read others say that IMWA is a really good IM if it is your first. Well, this will be my first. I like the way the swim is set up with the swim out and around the jetty.

My wife will be excited to hear about some of the diving opportunities.

As more questions pop into my head, I will certainly seek your advice.

Thanks again and have a good night,

Allan
2008-08-28 8:15 PM

User image

Veteran
Perth, Oz

yeah i hear you on the long flight, 

I haven't got any experience of other ironman courses,  but I did my first Ironman in Busselton last year and I htink its an awesome course for a first one.   (i've done the busso half IM a few times too same course just shorter)

the jetty swim is just beautiful.   and having a jetty on your right side the entire swim makes sighting so much easier.  if there's not jetty on your right when you breathe then you are off course     In training swims round the jetty I often get distracted looking at the fishies and crabs and star fish etc.

2008-08-29 7:10 AM

New user

Well, I did it. I am now officially signed up for Ironman Western Australia.

Now, I have to get those flights reserved and start figuring out a way to safely transport my bike.

Does anybody know of a good, reliable bike transport service from the USA to Western Australia? I wrote TriBike Transport and they only concentrate on the North America races.

I am so looking forward to visiting Western Australia.
2008-08-31 9:02 PM

User image

Veteran
Perth, Oz
Ohh awesome  I promise you won't regret it!   I'll see you on the start line
2008-09-01 2:45 PM

Regular
avon, montana
I did WAIM as my first IM and found it to be a near mystical experience. Probably the combo of training almost completely solo and having things really come together on race day and travelling to such an exotic location with such friendly people. A really wonderful experience. I did Couer de Lane seven months later and did not have nearly as much fun. Of course, CDA is just down the road and was a much harder course and was my second. Still......
Hi to SPLERH!

2008-09-01 3:19 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Brambleton, VA
Thanks for the input. Just met a bunch of South Africans at the ITU World LC Championships. They were very keen on IMSA. Now I have two options

Thanks again for the info. Cheers.
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » IMs in Australia Rss Feed