Ronald McDonald House of Missoula
83F / 28C
Sunny
Total Time = 1h 27m 6s
Overall Rank = 98/221
Age Group = 35-39
Age Group Rank = 9/18
Pre-race routine:

This is a pool swim, and I had to wait until 12:10 before my heat started. Therefore, I ate my regular breakfast of Raisin Bran in the morning. At about 9:30 I ate half a bagel, and half a banana. I stayed well hydrated, watched my friends race, shopped at the booths, etc.
Event warmup:

Used my inhaler about five minutes before pool time. Arranged all my stuff, jumped around and ran on the grass to get my heartrate up.
Swim
  • 13m 6s
  • 750 yards
  • 01m 45s / 100 yards
Comments:

I was very thankful to be moved to a 2-man lane. The gal I shared a lane with was a perfect match for me. She took off 10 seconds before me, but we swam neck-and-neck until the very end. I didn't compete so hard that I wore myself out, but she was always right there for me to aim for. I ended up finishing about a second in front of her.
What would you do differently?:

There were some laps where I could have taken longer glides, but I am really happy with my time. Maybe next year I'll be sub 13:00.
Transition 1
  • 01m 30s
Comments:

All I had to do was put my helmet & glasses on, socks & shoes on, use chapstick, and go. My rack was in a great spot. I spent no time drying off; I was relying on good fabrics to dry out before the water caused any trouble.

I should set up my transition area so that I can bring my bike out forward instead of backing it out.
Bike
  • 41m
  • 12.43 miles
  • 18.19 mile/hr
Comments:

I can't seem to catch my breath from the swim until I'm on the home stretch. I was passed by about five people from my heat, but I caught some of them again on T2.

I had my tires aired up at the bike tent before the race. I think the guy's guage was a little off because I kept sliding around the corners. There were a whole bunch of 90 degree corners on this course, and I had to slow down and put my leg out because I was afraid I'd wipe out. Maybe I'll just use my own pump, or practice some corners. Come to think of it, none of my riding routes have corners like that.
Transition 2
  • 01m

I think I'll buy a race belt. That way I don't have to add a shirt before the run. I don't like riding with my race number on if it can be avoided.
Run
  • 30m 34s
  • 3.11 miles
  • 09m 50s  min/mile
Comments:

Only felt the jelly legs for the first little bit. I did turn my running computer on and kept my pace down. Didn't run out of gas, had a little left for the last two tenths. Started feeling a little asthmatic when I picked up the speed on the second lap, but it didn't hinder me.
Post race
Warm down:

Walked around and visited with people.

This was my best race ever!

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Too much air in the tires for that course. This winter I plan to work on my running speed. I know I have it in me, I just need to push my asthma threshhold (sp?) back.

Event comments:

Lots of food, plenty of space on the grass to watch and relax, well organized, etc.

Last updated: 2008-04-07 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:13:06 | 750 yards | 01m 45s / 100yards
Age Group: 5/18
Overall: 59/221
Performance: Good
Suit:
Course: Pool swim, was supposed to be three per lane, but some people scratched, leaving me in a lane of two, WAHOO!
Start type: Plus:
Water temp: 80F / 27C Current:
200M Perf. Good Remainder: Good
Breathing: Good Drafting:
Waves: Navigation:
Rounding:
T1
Time: 01:30
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
Yes
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed: Good
Biking
00:41:00 | 12.43 miles | 18.19 mile/hr
Age Group: 7/18
Overall: 87/221
Performance:
Wind: Some
Course: Out and back on Tamany Lane, through Stock Farm subdivision. This bike ride is just absolutely beautiful. There are cottonwoods growing along both sides of very old roads, and you can see right up Painted Rocks Canyon from the ride.
Road: Potholes Dry Cadence:
Turns: Below average Cornering: Below average
Gear changes: Good Hills: Good
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 01:00
Overall: Good
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike Good
Running with bike Good
Racking bike
Shoe and helmet removal Good
Running
00:30:34 | 03.11 miles | 09m 50s  min/mile
Age Group: 15/18
Overall: 152/221
Course: A .2-mile jaunt into a subdivision, then two loops around a big rectangle of sidwalk and pavement. There is a slight rise after the first corner, but the rest is F L A T. There is a fire truck sitting on the back of this run, and if you raise your hand to him, he'll spray up into the air so you can run through it. The water was the perfect temperature, not shockingly cold.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 5
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 5

{postbutton}
2008-08-24 2:58 PM

User image

Expert
Montana
Subject: Bitterroot Classic Triathlon

2008-08-25 10:45 PM
in reply to: #1624144

User image

Master
Silverton, Oregon
Subject: RE: Bitterroot Classic Triathlon
Congratulations Heidi! Great race & report!!! Awesome time improvement from last year!!!
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Bitterroot Classic Triathlon Rss Feed