General Discussion Race Reports! » Xterra Schiff Scout Off-Road Triathlon Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

Xterra Schiff Scout Off-Road Triathlon - TriathlonSprint

View Member's Race Log View other race reports
Wading River, New York
United States
Dirty Events Multisports, Xterra Race
80F / 27C
Sunny
Total Time = 1h 49m 53s
Overall Rank = 84/156
Age Group = M30-34
Age Group Rank = 16/21
Pre-race routine:

This race was supposed to be a convenient treat as it's exactly 1.24 miles from my doorstep. Got up at 6AM, ate a nutri-grain blueberry waffle, drank a cup of coffee, gathered my backback, hopped on my mountain bike, and rode to the race. Got a rack spot right next to the Bike Out. So far so good.
Event warmup:

Bs'd with Mike (mscotthall) and a bunch of other guys. Went for a 1/2 mile warm-up job with my other buddy Mike (who finished 39th overall with a great time - and usually I finish just ahead or behind him). Swam out the last buoy and picked a landmark to sight.
Swim
  • 16m 28s
  • 805 meters
  • 02m 03s / 100 meters
Comments:

While watching the Olympics, and reading interviews from all different athletes in all different sports, one recurring theme keeps popping out at me. The theme is "Run Your Own Race". When you worry about the person next to you, when you race outside of your norm and what you are capable of, disaster will often strike.

The day before the race I took a clinic hosted by the Xterra Ambassadors. They stated they were all wearing wetsuits. The day of the race 75% of the people had wetsuits on. Meanwhile the lake water felt like bath water and it was plenty warm out to start the morning, maybe 75 degrees. For me, when the pool at the YMCA is too warm I have a crappy time training in the pool. I get hot and overheat real easy. I knew I shouldn't be wearing a wetstuit (especially a full one) but I was too busy paying attention to everyone else, and I didn't want to lose any advantage to other people wearing suits.

And the result: I had my worst swim ever. I overheated 100 meters in, I never got my breathing rythym down, and I had to breathe every other stroke for 90% of the time and bilateral breathed only 10%. Normally it's the opposite for me - 90% bilateral breathing and breathing every other stroke just once in a while when I need some extra oxygen.

I had more of a finishing kick during my HIM than this swim. Pathetic.
What would you do differently?:

Race my own race. I know myself and I know what works best for me in races. Pay attention to my own details.
Transition 1
  • 01m 6s
Comments:

I've become a master at transitioning.

21st best T1 time overall.

Run even faster.
Bike
  • 1h 04m 32s
  • 10 miles
  • 9.30 mile/hr
Comments:

Training on a mountain bike in the woods is fun, I'll admit that much. Racing all out in the woods, bombing downhills, hitting turns at full speed, dodging trees, stumps and other racers is insane.

First five mile loop I was almost entirely in my big ring, got passed by a dozen guys and only passed a couple. I quickly realized that going full speed in the woods is pretty dangerous. On one steep fast descent, my fingers still a little wet from the swim, my hand almost slipped off my grips and the thought of "losing it" on the bike and the consequences of that entered my mind. I took it a little more conservative after that.

Another mile in I stood up in the saddle and cranked onto a path, when suddenly I felt an unbelievable sharp pain in the middle of my right butt cheek. I reached down and pulled a giant black wasp out of my skin!! It hurt really bad, like no other sting I'd ever experienced. Again, the unpleasant reality of racing in the woods set in and I was thinking to myself, "Perhaps this isn't for me."

The rest of the bike leg was pretty uneventful. During the second loop I kept the chain in the middle ring and found I could keep the same cadence and yet had more gears for the hills. Slowly I began gaining ground, picking off more riders than were passing me, and I was feeling more and more confident. With about a 1/2 mile to go one biker stayed on my tail, right behind me. Repeatedly I asked him if he wanted to pass (as I would've gladly moved over) and repeatedly he said, "I'm okay dude. I'll just hang behind you." Feeling him constantly behind me and knowing there was less than a 1/4 mile to go on the bike leg, I decided to ramp up the speed and cadence and hit the last section hard. I booked down an incline and my front tire hit something, I hit the brakes, and my bike went flying up into the air over my body, and my left shoulder rammed full-force into the ground. I looked up with my bike on top of me and watched the guy behind me swerve and miss just running me over. I felt my shoulder with my right hand and I honestly expected to feel my collarbone poking out of the skin - I hit the ground that hard. Thankfully there was no blood (at least that I could see at the time) and my collarbone and shoulder bones on the left side felt the same as the right side. Pheeeew.

The dude behind me was nice enough to ask if I was okay and I said Yes! and urged him on. I pulled my bike off the track and rested my head on my seat. My heart rate was through the roof, naseau was hitting me hard and I was preparing to throw up. Thankfully I just concentrated on my breathing, kept waving on the considerate racers who slowed down and asked if I was all right, and I began to gradually feel better.

The absolutely dreaded thought that I might have my first DNF motivated me to start moving forward regardless of how much pain I was in. I checked out my bike and noticed the front tire was bent, but it was still rideable. I also quickly realized that if I bent my left arm in across my body the pain became much more manageable. Slowly and I pushed my bike pack onto the trail and up a slight turn. That's when I realized a photographer was sitting their the whole time. I kindly asked him not to take any pictures and I really hope he listened. With my arm tucked and my bike sounding like a rusted freight train, I slowly trucked up the path and toward the finish.

When I came out of the woods and hit the first batch of spectators, there cheers quickly went from "Rah Rah" to "Whoa, Eww, and Yikes". My bike was bent, wobbly, and loud, and my left side of my body was covered it dark earth.

No Comment.
Transition 2
  • 00m 38s
Comments:

A' la road style I took my feet out of my shoes and somehow managed a slow flying dismount. Probably the only guy to do this. I was probably still dazed from the crash.
Run
  • 27m 8s
  • 3.1 miles
  • 08m 45s  min/mile
Comments:

With my arm in the sling position I ran out of transition and lo and behold who is handing out water and Gatorade, my 4-yr-old son and 2-yr-old daughter!! That put a huge smile on my face! But then my wife looked at me and knew something was wrong. I pointed to my shoulder and she frowned.

Down the hill toward the lake, a quick left, and I was on the trail and moving at a reasonable clip. Aside from my shoulder, I felt really great. My legs wanted to turn over fast, but the shoulder pain wouldn't only let them go so fast.

Up ahead two runnerd began racing towards me. My first thought was, "Am I going the wrong way?" But then I saw the look on their faces and I knew something was wrong. They were screaming there was a swarm of bees or wasps in the trail. They said they'd gotten stung multiple times and were turning back. I then noticed some runners were running up the hill and through the woods to get around the swarm. With only one useful arm I knew I couldn't run off-trail up the hill. And I'd come this far and wasn't about to DNF, so I covered my face with my right hand and sprinted through a black swarm of bees. I felt them hitting my head and arms, and my shoulder screamed in agony from the bouncing, but I had to get through there and quickly. Perhaps God felt as if the sting from early in the ride and a shoulder injury was enough for me, cause I was spared and somehow did not get stung once. I rounded a corner and knew I was in the clear. Again, my lungs and legs wanted to sprint the remaining two miles, but my brain and shoulder knew I had to stay conservative and that just crossing the finishing line would be a huge win for today.

Amazingly I only got passed once on the run (by a Girl :)), passed quite
a few guys, it's a real damn shame I crashed because I was feeling like I could've hammered the run. I had my racing flats on, the ground was nice and soft, I had two Espresso Gels with 2X caffeine.
Post race
Warm down:

Swapped war stories with all my friends, apparently some people got stung a lot. Congratulate my children on volunteering their time. Walked over to the medic. Used my one good arm to drive myself to the hospital.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Do I really have to say it.

Event comments:

For me, there is a night and day difference between off-road triathlons and road triathlons. This race is right down the road from me, I have some of the best off-road trails in the Northeast 15 mins from me, I really wanted to enjoy this race and become an off-road triathlete. I grew a beard, took a clinic, read a ton of material, tips and interviews specifically about Xterra; but in the end, it's just not for me. When racing in the woods there are just to many variables: insects (wasps and bees), trees, stumps, sand, unpredictable terrain - it's just not my cup of tea.

The race organization itself also left a lot to be desired. I don't want top pick apart everything because overall the race was reasonably organized, but you'd think at an Xterra event they'd have a Medical Tent or Medical Section of some sort. Nope. At this event the Medical Area was a young kid with a First Aid Tool Box. There was no benadryl, no ice packs, nothing. Yes I'm thankful that at least he was there, and the Race Director kept saying benadryl and ice packs were on the way, but honestly -for the price we paid and given the Xtreme conditions that accompany an Xterra, there absolutely needs to be more emphasis on Medical Support.

So my first Xterrra will surely be my last and it just helped me to truly see how much I love road triathlons. Also, thankfully, my injury is just a Grade 1 shoulder separation and I should be back to road training within a week.

Profile Album

Last updated: 2008-04-23 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:16:28 | 805 meters | 02m 03s / 100meters
Age Group: 14/21
Overall: 75/156
Performance: Bad
Suit: Quinatana Roo Hydrofull
Course: Two laps of a triangle in a fresh water lake.
Start type: Wade Plus:
Water temp: 0F / 0C Current: Low
200M Perf. Below average Remainder: Bad
Breathing: Below average Drafting:
Waves: Navigation: Average
Rounding: Good
T1
Time: 01:06
Performance: Good
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike:
Getting up to speed:
Biking
01:04:32 | 10 miles | 9.30 mile/hr
Age Group: 19/21
Overall: 112/156
Performance: Bad
Wind: None
Course: Two five mile loops. Some decent climbs and descents. Two log jumps.
Road: Rough Dry Cadence:
Turns: Average Cornering: Average
Gear changes: Average Hills: Average
Race pace: Hard Drinks:
T2
Time: 00:38
Overall: Average
Riding w/ feet on shoes Good
Jumping off bike Good
Running with bike Average
Racking bike
Shoe and helmet removal
Running
00:27:08 | 03.1 miles | 08m 45s  min/mile
Age Group: 8/21
Overall: 66/156
Performance: Average
Course: Ran in trails that weaved around the lake. Plenty of steep climbs and steep descents. One section was through waist high water.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Below average
Mental exertion [1-5] 2
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? No
Evaluation
Course challenge Too hard
Organized?
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities:
Race evaluation [1-5]

{postbutton}
2008-08-25 10:24 AM

User image

Subject: Xterra Schiff Scout Off-Road Triathlon

2008-08-25 11:52 AM
in reply to: #1625540

User image

Veteran
Subject: RE: Xterra Schiff Scout Off-Road Triathlon
Congrat on finishing the race!! Sorry to hear about the shoulder.
2008-08-25 12:13 PM

User image

Master
The Redlands, FL

Excellent Race and Great Race Report Bob!!!

Sorry about your shoulder...Damn!!!

I hope the best and fast recovery for you

2008-08-25 12:50 PM

User image

Elite
Tucson, AZ

Yikes! Heal up quickly! Yeah, hitting the ground is part of learning to ride a MTB. Glad to hear the collarbone stayed intact.

When you get a chance, try to hit the trails in a non-race setting. You may like it after all!

2008-08-25 1:58 PM

User image

Champion
MA

Congrats...you finished your first Xterra given all the obstacles you overcame!

I'm impressed with your heart and dedication.

2008-08-25 2:00 PM

User image

Master
Goodyear, AZ

Well, that race was tough! Its out of the way and you will have great races from now on! Kudos to you for holding it all together, getting back ont he bike and running as well as you did. You really are a super hero, ha!

Well done

2008-08-25 3:50 PM

Extreme Veteran
Connecticut

Ncie job finishing dude considering everything that went wrong. After reading your report I wil never do a Xtera race 8-)

Rest up!

2008-08-25 10:18 PM

Subject: ...
This user's post has been ignored.
2008-08-27 1:56 PM

Expert
Pittsburgh

Holy crap!

Excellent job sticking with it and finishing that - great run after all that - you should be proud!  Very interesting about the swim - great lesson learned there that you can at least translate to the civilized races (and so can I!).

Good luck healing up.

2008-08-27 2:31 PM

Subject: ...
This user's post has been ignored.
2008-08-27 2:50 PM
in reply to: #1632636

DrLeah - 2008-08-27 3:31 PM

Wow, that was a pretty intense race, and WTG to finish off the run.  Truly hardcore points for that one.

And never say never... a little more experience mountainbiking and you might find that you really do enjoy it!

You're right.  I shouldn't say "never".  I will most-likely, 99.9%, in the odd chance that Hell freezes over (which is possible) never race a Mountain Bike again.   

2008-08-27 6:38 PM

Expert
Hawaii
Yup, I'm impressed.  I don't know many people who would get stung, seriously hurt their shoulder, and then decide to high-tail it through a swarm of bees so they can finish a race!  Come to think of it, you're the only one .
2008-08-27 10:36 PM

Veteran
Honestly, after coming through all that, how hard can your next Xterra be? ;-D
2008-08-28 11:50 AM
in reply to: #1633209

naners - 2008-08-27 7:38 PM Yup, I'm impressed.  I don't know many people who would get stung, seriously hurt their shoulder, and then decide to high-tail it through a swarm of bees so they can finish a race!  Come to think of it, you're the only one .

Thanks Naners.  Unless it's something "Life Threatening" I don't ever plan on having a DNF. 

General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Xterra Schiff Scout Off-Road Triathlon Rss Feed