General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Wetsuit\Swimming Questions From an Accenture Finisher Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2008-08-25 10:14 PM

User image

Glen Ellyn
Subject: Wetsuit\Swimming Questions From an Accenture Finisher
Hi Everyone,

A little background information; I did my first tri back in 2006 (Steelhead 1/2) and finished with a repectable 6:40 despite the fact I really can't swim.....you read correctly. I do all my training with a pull bouy and rely on my wetsuit in the OWS. When I try to swim like a normal human, I sink. 2007 was a wash as I had back surgery in August. Targeted Accenture Olympic as my only race of 2008 and was excited as my training had been going pretty well......However, I didn't get a chance to do any open-water swims.....not too bright

So, my heat goes off at 8:21 yesterday morning, I jump in the water...and proceed to sink like a stone.......WTF???? I felt like my wetsuit was taking on water and I could not freestyle to save my live.......it was like wearing a big sponge....so I end up breastroking the whole way and by the time the volunteers pull me out of the water, I'm exhausted......including my walk/stagger to T1, my time was 48 mintes.....so my questions are these:

1) Can a Wetsuit malfunction enough to cause what happened?? I looked it over pretty good before and after the race and couldn't find any tears or anything like that...

2) Clearly it's time for me to learn to swim......but would you recommend taking lessons from a Tri Coach or a regular Swimming Coach?? At this point money is no option ( well it kind of is) because I have no intention of repeating the nightmare that was yesterday.....

And I'm in the West Suburbs of Chicago so if any locals have any recommendations for a swim coach, I'm all ears....

Thanks!

Jim

2008-08-25 10:26 PM
in reply to: #1627847

User image

Dallas, Texas
Subject: RE: Wetsuit\Swimming Questions From an Accenture Finisher

Hey Jim... I am definitely not the worlds best swimmer but I took about 5 lessons last year with a swim coach of a local high school team here in Dallas and it did WONDERS for not only my stroke but my confidence.  I would think any good coach...swim or tri...will give you the pointers you need to start to float and glide across the water, more.

I was in the race yesterday as well.  You weren't the only one struggling, I assure you.  It was crazy out there with all those bodies in the narrow swim chute!

2008-08-26 3:07 PM

User image

Expert
Las Vegas, NV

1) Can a Wetsuit malfunction enough to cause what happened?? I looked it over pretty good before and after the race and couldn't find any tears or anything like that...

Rips, tears, or open zippers would not have an affect on the buoyancy of a wetsuit.  It is the neoprene material itself that gives you the buoyancy.  That said, over time and use wetsuits do become less buoyant and less warming as the material wears out, although I guess this is more pronounced on thicker diving wetsuits than triathlon suits.   I'd venture to guess it had more to do with a change in body composition or swim style than wetsuit problems. 

Todd

2008-08-26 3:11 PM

User image

Expert
Medina, MN
I've had mine start to do that if I didn't seal it at the neck well. It would start to take on water as I swam, and get to feel big and waterlogged.

-Matt
2008-08-26 4:11 PM

User image

Expert
It sounds like your suit was too big, and you were taking on too much water. A wetsuit is supposed to be VERY tight around the entire body, letting in just a little bit of water. It really can't malfunction, even with a moderate sized tear since the bouyancy is coming from the air trapped in millions of little pockets in the neoprene.

But, if the suit is too big, you'll let in too much water, and you'll feel like you're dragging around a mack truck.

Silly question, but was this a 3mil triathlon wetsuit?
2008-08-28 11:49 AM

User image

Glen Ellyn
Thanks for all the reply's and my composition has changed, happily for the better...And it is a triathlon wetsuit (Orca);

Just for kicks I may head down to Lake Michigan and try another swim making sure the neck is secured.....

Thanks Everyone!

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Wetsuit\Swimming Questions From an Accenture Finisher Rss Feed