General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Training question . . . 3 weeks to next race Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2008-08-26 10:25 PM

User image

Maryland
Subject: Training question . . . 3 weeks to next race
Hi. I just finished my first Oly at the Accenture event in Chicago. I have signed up for the Savageman Olympic in Deep Creek, MD on Sept. 21. Should I jump in at the 7 week point of a 10 week program or just continue my training like I've done for the last couple of weeks?

I've taken a couple of days off (body feels good, but I'd like to get a massage before getting back to the training). I plan to pick up training either later this week or next week (Monday) on a regular schedule. I could use the final three weeks of my last plan for this race as well.

Any suggestions are appreciated.

Thanks! Happy racing!

-TJ

2008-08-27 12:33 AM
in reply to: #1631182

User image

Expert
Denver, Colorado
Subject: RE: Training question . . . 3 weeks to next race
How do weeks 7-10 of the new program compare to your previous training?

It's hard to answer your question, because the answer would depend on a lot of things. I haven't seen the 10-week program, but I imagine that it isn't set up to accommodate multiple races. For that reason I probably wouldn't jump into it, but it depends on what specific workouts are in there. I wonder if there are any articles on BT about doing multiple races...

Another thought. Did you feel challenged for the last 3 weeks of your previous program? If those weeks were really easy, it may be a sign that you could move to something harder. If they were difficult, I would probably repeat them.

Whatever you do, I would recommend devoting the rest of this week to active recovery. Don't start any hard or long stuff until next week.
2008-08-27 1:07 AM
in reply to: #1631317

User image

Maryland
Subject: RE: Training question . . . 3 weeks to next race
skavoovie - 2008-08-27 1:33 AM

How do weeks 7-10 of the new program compare to your previous training?

It's hard to answer your question, because the answer would depend on a lot of things. I haven't seen the 10-week program, but I imagine that it isn't set up to accommodate multiple races. For that reason I probably wouldn't jump into it, but it depends on what specific workouts are in there. I wonder if there are any articles on BT about doing multiple races...

Another thought. Did you feel challenged for the last 3 weeks of your previous program? If those weeks were really easy, it may be a sign that you could move to something harder. If they were difficult, I would probably repeat them.

Whatever you do, I would recommend devoting the rest of this week to active recovery. Don't start any hard or long stuff until next week.

Thanks Skavoovie! I appreciate it.

For the last three weeks I focused on the swim training. I found the last three weeks pretty challenging, but very good overall. I will do as you suggest and focus on the active recovery for this week. That is very helpful! I will also check on the site for multiple race-related information.

Thanks, again! Happy racing/training!

-TJ
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Training question . . . 3 weeks to next race Rss Feed