General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Equipment Advice for a 1st Timer Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2008-08-27 7:31 AM

New user

Subject: Equipment Advice for a 1st Timer

Hello,

I need some help on what I need to get/use for my first sprint triathlon. The swim is in an indoor pool so what am I supposed to wear? Do I get something I use for the whole triathlon? or take off after the swim?

Also I wont be getting bike shoes so what is the best/easiest and quickest way of getting my socks and running trainers on after the swim?

Any help would be much appreciated after scanning websites for hours and not getting very far!

2008-08-27 7:46 AM
in reply to: #1631445

User image

Arch-Bishop of BT
Pittsburgh
Subject: RE: Equipment Advice for a 1st Timer

In some ways, a pair of jammers would probably be fine to race in for your first sprint.  But a nice step up is to get a pair of tri shorts.  They are meant to be worn for the whole race.  They have a minimal amount of padding in the crotch area so they are supposed to dry out quickly... or at least more quickly than bike shorts.

To get socks and shoes on quickly... you could see if you can run without socks.  Many triathletes run without socks for shorter distances.  But try it out before your race.  If you are going to wear socks, then before the race, while setting up your transition area, put your socks on and then roll them off of your feet.  That way when you come out of the pool, you can simply roll the socks back onto your feet, saving time.  

Finally, you could buy elastic laces for your shoes, so when you slip your feet into the shoes, rather than spending time tying them, you just pull the laces tight and off you go.  One popular brands is called Yankz.  

Good luck on your tri!

-Brian

2008-08-27 8:01 AM

User image

New user

North of Boston
Jammers work just fine for a sprint - they're basically tri-shorts without the bike pad and you can suck it up for the short ride.

Rolling socks, as described above, is a key. Elastic laces are cool, but unless you really think the couple of seconds they'll save will make or break the race, concentrate in other areas.
2008-08-27 8:56 AM

User image

NoVA
Another question, if I may...   what about a swim cap for an indoor pool swim?   Does the race provide it so they're all the same, do I bring my own, do I not need to bother for such a short swim?
2008-08-27 9:00 AM
in reply to: #1631609

User image

New user
North of Boston

sharse - 2008-08-27 9:56 AM Another question, if I may...   what about a swim cap for an indoor pool swim?

Varies.  Most races will provide you with one and expect you to wear it. Others will leave it up to you and, if they do, it's typically your option to wear one or not - in which case, do what's most comfortable for YOU!

2008-08-28 7:45 AM

New user

thanks for the help. Im bricking it about the whole thing, just hope it all goes ok!!

I will look at jammers and most likely invest in a pair and will definately roll the socks. What about tops? Do you just slip on a running vest after the swim?

2008-08-28 7:52 AM
in reply to: #1634126

User image

Expert
Lake Forest, Illinois
dis1 - 2008-08-28 7:45 AM

thanks for the help. Im bricking it about the whole thing, just hope it all goes ok!!

I will look at jammers and most likely invest in a pair and will definately roll the socks. What about tops? Do you just slip on a running vest after the swim?

Hint: I roll my socks like described above but also baby/goldbond powder them as well.  It makes them slip on nice and easy post swim and dried out the remaining moisture too.

As to tops, well there are specialized Tri tops or trisuits but for a first sprint those might be overkill (if your not sure your going to stay with the sport).  Just be aware that anything you try and put on post swim is going to take a bit more work to get on while wet.  The tighter the garment the more work it will likely take.

If you want to test this ahead of time (recommended) then take a shower and right afterwards (without drying off much) try and get it on.  That will give you a feel for what it will probably be like trying to put the shirts/jersey/singlet on right out of the pool.

Regardless the biggest thing is just practice the transition a few times, relax, and have fun!

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Equipment Advice for a 1st Timer Rss Feed