General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Getting faster swimming Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2008-08-27 9:59 AM

User image

Fishers, IN
Subject: Getting faster swimming

I have been working diligently on my swim, but my speed is not going anywhere.  I have focused a lot on form and the instructors of the master's group say my form/body positioning is pretty good.  I do get comments that I don't glide enough so I try to do a fair amount of catch-up drill (sometimes I glide better than others).  That aside, I am still slow and 90% of my laps are in the 2:00-2:10 range for 100m.  I have been hitting a master's group and the intervals are often unobtainable without the aid of fippers or shortening the distance of the repeat relative to the group.  I am trying to get to the pool 4-5 times a week, usually however I will do one or two practices on my own rather than with the group.  Is it just consistency I need and it will come along? 

What do you feel helped you get faster the most? 

2008-08-27 10:13 AM
in reply to: #1631791

User image

Expert
FL
Subject: RE: Getting faster swimming

How long have you been swimming?

I too did not notice much improvement for months and had similar times.  Just yesterday though, I did a 53s 50 without trying hard.  That is my best yet.

How did I get there.  Swim more, do more drills and do intervals.  I actually have been swimming less and getting better.

Likely, it will just take more time. 

2008-08-27 12:01 PM
in reply to: #1631830

User image

Fishers, IN

I, of course never swam competetively just the "Marco polo" pool play.  I tried swimming consistently for about 3-4 months a couple of years ago, gave up and moved back to running.  I have been swimming minimum 3 times a week for the last 3 months.  I just had a pretty good swim today where I received a bit more instruction that I think may help.  I will keep plugging away and hope for a breakthrough. 

It is hard to know how much of it is technique related and how much of it is swim specific conditioning. 

2008-08-27 12:03 PM

User image

Melon Presser

Good job on all the hard work you've done in the pool.

Continue diligently working on form (every lap is a chance to do that) and now it's a matter of building swim base (just like you'd build run or bike base). It seems a lot easier to build swim base because there's not as much jarring on your body and the recovery is quicker; a lot of people get vastly faster within, say, a year of doing 4-5 swims per week.

2008-08-27 12:06 PM
in reply to: #1632142

User image

Champion
it is deff a mix of both. that said, swimming more, for a long period of time will start to help, not only will you gain sport specific fitness, but you will become much more comfortable in the water which in turn will do wonders for your speed.

that being said, the largest gains i made swimming came when i went from 3-6k a week to 15-20 (not saying you need that volume), so a large part of it i attribuite to being in the pool more.

you need to be swimming at your own pace, not using tools to help you hit the sets of others. if you are hammering away with filleprs to hit the pace you need, your not getting the work you need done. you'd be better off slowing down a bit if you can and focusing on swimming corectly at a pace you can hold without the toys.
2008-08-27 1:33 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Glendora, CA
i am one of those people who last month couldnt swim 50yds to save his a$$. i have been swimming every morning for 30-60 mins working on technique and endurance. ne morning it all just fell into place. i had watched the total immersion vids and was trying to incorparte some of those techniques into my swim. now i can effortlessly do 1000 yds every morning, with my longest swim being over 1500 yds. i am nor burning up the pool, but i am consistent and i am actually enjoying my time in the water. good luck and be patient with yourself.

2008-08-28 2:35 AM

User image

Veteran
San Diego, CA

Well first off your doing great, and remember like the other disciplines it all comes with time, distance and frequency.  I keep reminding myself that about running.

You’re logs show your putting in the distance, and you’re in a masters group so you’re doing all the right things. Keep pushing, and give yourself some time. Speed will come slowly over time, and being in a masters group with some quicker folks and a good coach will get it done.

Using the flippers to stay with the group is way better than dropping the laps, keep it up. Check your heart rate to see how hard your pushing yourself. Push the sprints at the end of the workout hardest, as you will get the most benefit from them when you are already tired. Also ask the coach to check your stroke then. When you’re tired and pushing things is when your stroke will break down to its base form. The problems found then will be the most important issues to resolve. Keep your time on the wall to a minimum between sets, and push the group to reduce the set times if everyone’s heart rate is dropping to normal between sets.

Good luck, be patient with yourself, your on the right track.

2008-08-28 4:47 AM
in reply to: #1633929

User image

Fishers, IN
So do you wear a heart rate monitor in the pool?  I have been considering doing that for awhile just to make certain that my physiology and RPE coincide.  Does it take time to develop the cardiovascular system and mitochondria that are specific to swimming.  I know that I have done so for running and biking through the miles over the years.  I just didn't expect swimming aerobically to be so different.
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Getting faster swimming Rss Feed