General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Calorie Intake Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2008-08-27 4:09 PM

New user

Subject: Calorie Intake

So, I'm trying to figure out the optimal calorie intake for myself. I weigh about 163 pounds and am 6 foot. I am on the couch to sprint training plan, which involves 6 days of training per week but is not very intense. I guess about 3 or 4 hours of training per week.

I have tried some of the online calculators but there's a large range. I feel like I havent been eating enough because I have been pretty tired lately. Should I just be eating more? Or do you have any other suggestions? Thanks in advance!

2008-08-27 8:29 PM
in reply to: #1632907

User image

Extreme Veteran
Central New Jersey
Subject: RE: Calorie Intake

Have a resting metabolic rate test done and it will give you a better idea of how many calories you need to consume just to survive and then you can go from there based on exercise level. My local Y has this handheld machine - you breathe into for about 10 minutes.  It was well-worth the $40 for the test.  After the test, they printed out a report that gives me information about minimum calories, number of hours to exercise, breakdown of fats/carbs/protein, etc, etc.   I have now dialed in my nutritional needs just to live and can adjust it based on the quantity and intensity of exercise/training. I have already lost 1 lbs (something that I have been struggling to do for over a year now).  This

Using the online calculators can only use basic information and can be off by as much as +/-500 calories which is huge when dial in nutritional needs.

The website below gives you a search option to find a local place that uses the same gizmo my Y uses.  They also have a great program called BalanceLog that I can use on my Palm PDA so that I can track calories,etc even when I am away from home but BT's nutrition log is great too which I noticed you are already using.

http://www.microlifeusa.com/products_weightmanage.asp

For websites with calories for a workout,  someone on BT posted this one and it seems very accurate (compared to my HRM a few times and they were dead onhttp://www.caloriesperhour.com/index_burn.php

Good luck because even once you think you figure it all out, it will likely change.

Edited by Fechter99 2008-08-27 8:34 PM
2008-08-27 10:51 PM
in reply to: #1633487

New user

Subject: RE: Calorie Intake
Thanks, that helps! At least I realize now how complicated it is.
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Calorie Intake Rss Feed