General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Open water clinic Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2008-08-27 9:01 PM

NJ
Subject: Open water clinic

I will be doing my first Tri in September, but I need to get some instruction for an open water swim. It's only 1/4 mile, but ocean.

Can anyone help?

2008-08-27 9:18 PM
in reply to: #1633584

User image

Regular
Rowan University - Health & Exercise Science Major
Subject: RE: Open water clinic
depending upon where you live, might help us a little more! but if your a south jersey native, their is an OWS every Thursday at Wenonah.

here is the link on BT - http://www.beginnertriathlete.com/discussion/forums/thread-view.asp...

I have been several time, nice lake, with a decent turnout. If your a non USAT member its 10$.

By the way, what is your first tri?
2008-08-27 9:37 PM
in reply to: #1633620

NJ
Thanks. I live in North Jersey, but will try to check it out. I'm doing the LBI Endless Summer Tri.
2008-08-27 9:49 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Security, CO
Bronze member
If an oppurtunity exists to swim open water.... Just Do It.
2008-08-28 8:21 AM

User image

Expert
I'm not sure that you need instruction, so much as just getting in and doing it. My tri-club has OWS every Sunday, but it's really not much more than a group of us swimming in the bay.

The biggest things that are different about OWS -
- Getting comfortable in a wetsuit. You'll most likely feel like it's really constricting at first. Yes, water is supposed to get into the suit, that's why it's called a wetsuit It's not a leak.
- Sighting. You can practice this in the pool by just raising your head to look forward to the end of the pool, or a fixed item beyond the edge of the ppol every 3 or 4 strokes. It'll feel very strange.
- Waves/currents - This is mostly a local thing, so if you can practice on the course, it's probably not a bad idea.

If you are practicing OWS, you probably want to make sure to go in with a buddy, just in case. OWS can be dangerous, especially in an area that you aren't familiar with.

Regards,
Brian
2008-08-28 8:35 AM

New user

I agree with above posts. The most important thing to do is get a practice OWS in before the race. My first practice swim was so bad that I would have dropped out, had it been a race. I panicked, had trouble sighting, then had trouble breathing b/c I was panicking, etc.  My second one went much smoother b/c I knew what to expect and I had no problems. 

2008-08-28 9:27 AM

User image

Pro
Norwalk, Connecticut

i agree with the buddy comment, my friend overslept this morning, so i had to miss my OWS swim, even in shallow  open water i will not swim alone, freak things happen, but i do love swimming in the ocean more than pools, it is a shame the water is cooling down so quickly. I should have my wetsuit this week, so i will be able to resume the swimming for a little while longer.

learn to breath from both sides of your stroke if you can or don't already, especially good when the water is wavy/choppy, you swallow less saltwater. Also with a wetsuit and salt water, you really should have no worries of sinking,salt water is more bouyant the chlorinated or fresh and the wetsuit also has some buoyency just try to relax and think about the pool if you start getting anxious.

Good luck in your swim!!

2008-08-28 10:18 AM

Veteran
They are finished at Wenonah.
2008-08-28 10:24 AM

User image

Champion
Butler
If you have a chance to do OW before your race with a group I think it is a great idea no matter how good a swimmer you are.  Take it from me.  I had worked up to being a decent pool swimmer and signed up for my first OW race in June 07 nevera swam in a lake.  I knew I needed to try so I went to a clinic, got in the water and started to swim and my throat felt like it was clogged.  Took me probably 25 minutes to backstroke, doggie paddle 800 meters.  Drug my self out of the water and after having a very loud conversation in my head with myself I went back out and swim short out and backs and then went for the 800m again.  This time I did it all free in about 20 minutes.  After that I got with a few people and we did a few OW swims by ourselves and I was fine.  At my race I think I did 800 min in 14mins.  Had I not went to that clinic I probably would not have finished since the race was not wetsuit legal and my practice swims were.
2008-08-28 2:15 PM

User image

Master
My biggest panic when I did my first tri (at Sandy Hook in NJ) was not being able to see through the water because the water itself is dark. I helped practice this in the pool by closing my eyes while in the water, and only opening them when I sited. I also did this practice in the deep end of the pool to get used to the idea that there was nothing under my feet.

Have fun at your tri! Just keep going and you'll finish the swim, no sweat.
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Open water clinic Rss Feed