General Discussion Triathlon Talk » How to strengthen or relax shoulders when running?!?! Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2008-08-28 9:12 PM

User image

Elite
Cheesehead, WI
Subject: How to strengthen or relax shoulders when running?!?!

OUCH! Lately, my shoulders are really sore from running. I have struggled with keeping my shoulders down and relaxed while running but dang! lately it's returned and I'm sore!

What can I do to relax (I consciously THINK - RELAX and thrust them down and back from my ears...but it's not working) OR do I need strengthening to better support my shoulders?!?!?!

(as a side, I tend to hold my hands up too high and they can get tingly from lack of circulation... so I drop them down at times to help stave off that issue and perhaps its complicating this problem?!)

2008-08-29 7:22 AM
in reply to: #1636583

User image

Pro
MA
Subject: RE: How to strengthen or relax shoulders when running?!?!

try to push your shoulders down

keep hands and forearms lower than your heart, so that you don't use up energy holding up certain limbs that has nothing to do with your running.   

breathe with a rhythm - inhale 4 steps, exhale 4 steps etc.  Concentrate on bringing air into your TUMMY (meaning your diaphragm should be pushing downward and tummy outward, not your chect and shoulders going up). 

I found the breathing technique also very helpful in getting rid of mild side stitch. 

Edited by D.K. 2008-08-29 7:22 AM
2008-08-29 9:19 AM

This happens to me if I am not paying attention when I run.  I will get cramps in my shoulders and it is not fun.  If I am wearing a sportsbra that has looser straps, it gets worse, presumably because I am unintentionally holding my shoulders up to get a normal tension on the straps.  Demote those bras to the bike only if you have any! 

What I do during the run is windmill my arms a few times (as if I am doing the backstroke), and then when I return to normal running style, I visualize my shoulders resetting in a more relaxed position.  Somehow the windmilling of the arms helps me get out of the tense shoulder rut more than just concentrating on relaxing does.

I'll do this every mile on regular runs, or after every interval if I am doing those.  If you have trouble remembering, set a timer on your watch, or if you have a Garmin just use the lap indicator.
2008-08-29 10:26 AM

User image

Modesto, California
Think of your arms as pendulums while fucusing on relaxing your hands and shoulders.  This will allow your arms to swing freely without tension. If you find yourself tightening just shake your arms for a few seconds and try relaxing again. Just try not to thrust forward or backward, let them swing freely and relaxed.
2008-08-29 4:36 PM

User image

Elite
Cheesehead, WI

Thanks guys! I think also it has something to do with NOT swimming lately (due to pool closure). I managed to swim today and will feel a bit sore in my shoulders I'm sure!

I will put your suggestions into action tomorrow on my run! Pendulums! Windmills! Relax! Breathe! Count!

And will think "FUN!" vs competing.

Edited by BbMoozer 2008-08-29 4:36 PM
2008-08-30 12:08 AM

User image

Encinitas

I've heard in the past if you run with the palm of your hands facing up , it helps to loose your shoulders, but of course try to keep your arms as low as you can without deforming your form.

Cheers 

Best Wishes

2008-08-31 7:48 PM
in reply to: #1639087

User image

Elite
Cheesehead, WI
maubueno - 2008-08-30 12:08 AM

I've heard in the past if you run with the palm of your hands facing up , it helps to loose your shoulders, but of course try to keep your arms as low as you can without deforming your form.

Cheers 

Best Wishes

Heck, I'll give it a shot! If anything, someone will think I'm training for some sort of restaurant/waitress-type event (air tray carrying)

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » How to strengthen or relax shoulders when running?!?! Rss Feed