General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Anyone done a.r.t.? Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2008-08-29 1:34 PM

User image

Master
Subject: Anyone done a.r.t.?
What exactly is it, and what does it involve?

I just started seeing a.r.t.-certified chiro for some piriformis/sciatica issues, and the improvement already is remarkable. She's breaking me in slowly because I was afraid of seeing a chiro. (She's also a triathlete - cool.)

(I'm also stretching several times a day at work and at night.)

2008-08-29 1:52 PM
in reply to: #1638193

User image

Subject: RE: Anyone done a.r.t.?
Yup.  If you're seeing someone, they should let you know, but AFAIK it's like deep tissue massage with movement.  I've had hip and calf issues resolved by ART
2008-08-29 1:58 PM

User image

Expert
Lake Forest, Illinois

A.R.T. stands for Active Release Technique.  It is a specific (copyrighted) massage therapy technique (or group of techniques actually) that incorporates clinical massage techniques with movement.

It is a highly successful pattern of techniques.  Some of the techniques are not "unique" to A.R.T. but what the A.R.T. certification assures you of is the fact that the practitioner has gone through a certain number of hours of very specific training and passed a practical test at the end.

A.R.T. certification courses are pretty intesive and expensive.  To be full body A.R.T. certified is a pretty significant investment of time and money.  Many practitioners are partially certified into specific areas (lower extremities for example.

A.R.T. practitioners can come from any of the major bodywork areas (M.D, P.A., P.T., M.T. etc)

Joshua

2008-08-29 2:23 PM

User image

Fishers, IN

I have had a lot of work done by a chiro, but have observed a couple of things.  First, whatever insurance you can priovide them they will find the depth thereof quickly, but secondly (let me place this tingly feely thing on your spine)  that if they can not make a change quickly then run! 

I have had very good results with an SI joint that tends to lock up when I go to really high mileage running (90-100mpw).  The camber of the roads I run on cause issues.  I need a good chiro and more importantly a good massage therapist (person who really gets in and releases the muscle stress-be it ART or whatever they want to call it).  There is nothing a chiro can do that will not be rapidlty undone by tight muscles. In the end the chiro can get you aligned but the muscles must cooperate or they will pull you right back.  Together Chiro and message (realize the one your chiro offers does kick back to your chiro) can make a difference.  I use a good chiro and a very good message therapist independently though concerting their work can be a bit trickly.   Both are useful but finding a good message therapist is the most difficult.

2008-08-29 3:11 PM

User image

Champion
Verona WI--Ironman Bike Country!
Yes, I have used it quite successfully altough it took several sessions to get relief.  I have had even greater success with the Graston Technique (also done by many chiros).  Like ART it takes certification to perform the therapy.  If you think ART is painful, wait until you experience Graston.  The bruising can be signficant as you break up scar tissue, but the recovery is really remarkable.
2008-08-29 6:28 PM

User image

Regular
Columbia, SC
It got me back from a serious lower leg soft tissue injury pretty darn fast. In fact, I'm peoed I waited six weeks with the traditional rest before seeing the doc.

Since then, he's worked wonders of fixing a lot of my body through regular work / stretching. It can hurt like the dickens (inner thighs make me cry.) but I definitely feel it. The guy I see is full body certified, is one of the Kona ART men, and really understands endurance folks.

It also helps that he does gait analysis with respect to the muscular system, his tuneups and protocol have fixed minor issues like kicking my heels through loosening things up.

A friend I referred will tell you they work wonders for Tennis folks as well.

2008-08-30 4:31 PM

User image

Master
Kingston Ontario
I have had it many times and it has been amazing.  I am completely injury prone and since I started this, things have been way better.  I see a kinesiologist/chiropractor (now he is going to PT school too) and he is the God of Biomechanics
2008-08-31 6:01 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Niagara Falls, Ont
i've done it, and had amazing results on large muscles (quad and hammy), and ok results on smaller ones (superspinitus).
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Anyone done a.r.t.? Rss Feed