General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Tri bike for ironman Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2008-08-30 7:15 AM

Subject: Tri bike for ironman

Hey everyone

I've come from a running backround having run 3 marathons and several half marathons. I'm 22 years old and have been enticed into the world of triathlons. I love endurance events and so I want to train for a half ironman with a view to competing in a full iron man at the beginning of 2010. I haven't yet got a race bike, just been clocking up the miles on my MTB. I''ve tried several road bikes in the last few days and have been told that tri bikes are very specific and I would get more out of a road bike with aero bars. I understand this topic is hotly debated in the world of triathlon but I'm still confused. Would a tri bike (I'm very interested in the Focus Izalco Tria 2008) be unsuitable for 112 miles or does it depend on the bike route of the events I'll be competing in ie. hilly or flat course. I think I would be more comfortable on a tri bike but I have yet to try one. I would like as definitive an answer as possible please guys and girls-even if it's just to answer my queries on whether a tri bike is suitable for 112 miles or just time trials and olympic distance. I've seen footage of the hawaii ironman and the majority of athletes are on tri bikes not road bikes-is this just because they are excellent athletes OR because tri bikes are more suitable OR because Hawaii is relatively flat?

Thanks everyone! 

2008-08-30 7:19 AM
in reply to: #1639185

User image

Cycling Guru
Fulton, MD
Subject: RE: Tri bike for ironman

Welcome to BT!

Plenty of people ride tri bikes in IM's and plenty ride road bikes.  And it is rarly course dependent.  It is whatever the rider has trained on, what they develop the most power on while balancing the aerodynamics and what sort of budget they have.

I've done 2 full irondistance events as well as an irondistance aquavelo (swim, bike) which I used as a preperation race for the first IM.  In the aquavelo and my first race I used my tri bike with aero helmet and disc wheel.  In my IM this year I used my road bike without aero bars.  The first ones I was going for aggressive bike splits and the other one I was only planning on a leisurely Sunday ride.  They were all successful rides.

If you search the forum you will see a lot of threads on tri bike versus road bike.

Edit: And you will see just as varied of a mix in Hawaii as you would at any other IM event.  They only focus on the pros most of the time for coverage and they almost all ride tri bikes.

Edited by Daremo 2008-08-30 7:20 AM
2008-08-30 7:24 AM
in reply to: #1639188

Thanks Rick

Would you be comfortable riding your tri bike at a leisurely pace or would you prefer your road bike. I've heard that a tri bike would be good for conserving energy for the run due to the geometry of the bike. You said you used your tri bike for quick times but i'm guessing you would be just as comfortable using it to finish an ironman distance race at a leisurely pace

Tom

2008-08-30 7:48 AM

User image

Champion
MA

Tom....Rick is a bike stud and used to bike race so he knows a lot but his leisurely Sunday ride pace kicks most of our butts.

I have a number of bikes but ride my tri bike most of the time in the summer unless I ride with my women's bike race team or a group that doesn't allow tri bikes. Winter I ride my road bike or will be riding my new cyclecross bike just to keep my tri bike off the salt and grim from winter roads in MA.

My tri bike fits me great (key to getting any bike) and I find it most comfortable as my skeleton supports my upper body not my arms and muscular system.

I used my tri bike for my HIM and IM. 

Just from being part of BT for 5 years I've observed who are wanting to start to do triathlons go to their local bike store and get advice to get a road bike as it is more flexible. So many that do that end up buying a tri bike in 1-2 years. If you want to be a triathlete I think getting a tri bike makes sense a it is geared for what you will be doing.

Bikesport in MI has a lot of articles about bike selection, road vs tri bike, and more...here is a link to one article but poke around and you can learn a lot.

Welcome to BT and the tri world!

2008-08-30 12:18 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Zephyrhills, FL
tommy i can offer you my personal opinion as i was in your shoes a year and a half ago. i went the road bike route, as my LBS was telling me how much more comfortable i'd be just starting out. well i did a race, and was looking at everyones position on a tri bike as opposed to mine, and they were much more aggressive (lower with back closer to parallel to the ground) than i was. i had aero bars, but it just wasnt the same. so after about 400 miles on my road bike, i went back to my LBS and bought a tri bike. i absolutely love it, the position is much more aggressive and aero, and im very happy. if you decide to take one out for a test ride, dont judge it from just one ride, because your body will not think its a very comfortable position to start. your neck and traps will not like you and you'll think its the most uncomfortable thing ever. you just have to condition your body to it and once you do, you'll be very happy. if you decide to get a tri bike, make sure you are PROPERLY FITTED or the bike will not nearly be as useful as it is designed. just my .02 for you, hope it helps
2008-08-31 11:25 AM
in reply to: #1639389

User image

Expert
Chenequa WI

JonCT - 2008-08-30 12:18 PM ...if you decide to get a tri bike, make sure you are PROPERLY FITTED or the bike will not nearly be as useful as it is designed. just my .02 for you, hope it helps

And, plan on that fit changing.  I found that my position changed quite a bit as I developed flexibility and became use to my Tri-bike.  My LBS does free follow up fittings for a year in addition to the initial fit when they sell a bike.  Quite a nice service.

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Tri bike for ironman Rss Feed