General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Fueling up on bike rides.... Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2008-08-30 5:04 PM

User image

Kodiak, Alaska
Subject: Fueling up on bike rides....

Hey everyone,

I was just wondering how long you all go on your bike when you start to need more fuel than a GU, shot blocks, or something along those lines, or maybe you guys just use only those. I have been riding longer distances lately, and am having trouble figuring out how to fuel myself up (like halfway through the ride, for instance). I'm wondering if I would perfom better with something more than a GU.

Thanks for any input!

-Kristen

2008-08-30 5:46 PM
in reply to: #1639650

Subject: RE: Fueling up on bike rides....

You don't need anything more than GU, it's just a preference, and what you can handle. I get real bored of gels real quick, so I take a jam sandwich, a home made muesli bar, a banana, and make the rest up in gels, usually 3 food items per 3 gels, so alternate one gel, then one real food source, and so on, and aim for 70g of carbs per hour (the dietitians recommendation, 1g per bodyweight per hr for rides greater than 1hr duration).

2008-08-30 5:54 PM

User image

Master
Canton, Michigan
For on the road rides I'll chow down a cliff bar or two (normally only half at a time) for long rides along with Gu's and my endurolytes and water from my Camelbak. I just seem to need something solid when going long.

On the trainer for hours, I'll eat PB&J's, fruits, nuts, etc. I like having the variety and find it's the only benefit of long winter trainer rides.

I've never tried taking these items out on the road with me, but for IM training next year I'll probably start packing the PB&J's for something to eat while out on the road for hours as I know I'll tire of cliff bars.
2008-08-30 5:55 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Dearborn, Michigan, USA.
Fueling on the bike is relatively simple as long as you have some concept of the number of calories you feel you need per hour. You're likely going to run a bit of a calorie deficit while on the bike, and that is OK if you eat again right off the bike during the so-called "glycogen window" of 60 minutes after exercise.

It become more complex when you are doing several long rides back-to-back on successive days. Then what you eat on day1 has a profound impact on your performance and ability to recover on day 2. If you aren't doing it correctly by day 3 you're in trouble.

If the rides are simply your once a week long ride then fueling may work fine with gels, shot blocks, sports drinks. You do get sick of that stuff. The chemistry project diet only goes so far before the thought of another gel is just... bogue.

Then it is time for the tried and true stuff: Hostess Fruit Pies, Little Debbies, Fig Newtons... Any processed food with a mix of sugars (simple carbohydrates) and complex carbohydrates. A lot of those "junk" foods have some unsavory by-products like a lot of saturated fats and simple, refined sugars so in the context of a normal diet they would be bad, but on the bike they are OK. You may notice the riders in the Tour de France eat a lot of little cakes wrapped in foil, small sandwiches and little snacks of "real food" in addition to gels and sports drinks.

Experiment with things that sound reasonable to you, a little at a time. It probably wouldn;t be a good idea to eat Little Debbies, a Hostess Fruit Pie and 20 Fig Newtons all on the same ride. But it may be a good idea to integrate some "real" food (even if it is junk food) into your ride along with the energy gels and sports drinks. See what works and experiment a little at a time. If the sound of eating something on the bike is good that may indicate a craving for something you really "need" in the short term of a ride.

Just be sure to go back to healthier choices once you;re back off the bike...

I hope that helps.
2008-08-30 6:10 PM

User image

Kodiak, Alaska

Thanks for all the great advice! At about what point do you all feel the need for the extra fuel (i.e. after so many hours)? Just trying to see what others do.

Thanks a lot everyone for taking the time to reply to my question.

2008-08-30 6:36 PM

User image

Kayak Point, WA

It is really unusual for me to eat a gel or shot blocks or similar items on training rides (long or short).  I try to eat "real" foods with a combination of the simple sugars and carbs that I need based on the distance riding and what I have eaten earlier in the day and day before.  I often ride on a weekday when I should be eating dinner and when and what I had for lunch can impact what I eat on the bike also.

I usually eat sliced apple, nuts, energy bars, for shorter rides.

I will eat sanwiches, fruits, nuts, and energy bars for longer rides.

for a 30M ride I probably will not eat any solids on the bike (before or afterwards yes).  For anything longer than ~40M I will probably eat something on the bike but not much (1 bar or bag of nuts, or apple slices).  For a 60-80M ride I will probably start to have several things to each and possibly a sandwich or something else with more substance.

Michael

Edited by 2xtreme 2008-08-30 6:39 PM

2008-08-30 7:03 PM

User image

Kodiak, Alaska
Thanks a lot! Your information is really helping me!
2008-08-30 8:15 PM

User image

Expert
Colorado Springs, Colorado
hercgirl - 2008-08-30 4:04 PM

Hey everyone,

I was just wondering how long you all go on your bike when you start to need more fuel than a GU, shot blocks, or something along those lines, or maybe you guys just use only those. I have been riding longer distances lately, and am having trouble figuring out how to fuel myself up (like halfway through the ride, for instance). I'm wondering if I would perfom better with something more than a GU.

Thanks for any input!

-Kristen

How far are you riding? Fueling for a 30 miles ride may be different than for 80-100.

I often ride up to about 50 miles with just a couple bottles of water and usually have some left. If I'm training for a HIM I'll have more because I will usually do a run after the bike of 1-4 miles. That helps me nail down nutrition for fueling the run after the bike. Just biking, I take very little for most rides because I'll have something before and after.

2008-08-30 9:05 PM

User image

Expert
Wellington, North Island
Everyone's is different and it will really depend on your body. It will also depend on your pace and whether you are doing the long ride to train for a race, will be doing a brick workout, or just want to put in some time on the bike. If you're training for long course racing or doing a long brick your nutrition on the bike is really important and you'll probably need to experiment over a few rides to get it dialed in.

I could never make it on just two bottles of water for a 50 mile ride. That would take me close to 3 hours and I would need some calories. I can do about an hour on just water, but any longer and I need a gu or gatorade. If I'm doing 2.5 hours or longer I usually do an endurance drink and a couple gus. Four hours or longer I do the endurance drink, gus and some solid foods. I started this nutrition because I'm training for an IM, but I think I'd maintain it even if I weren't because I feel so much better when I get off the bike having taken in decent calories while I was riding.
2008-08-30 9:41 PM

User image

Alpharetta, Georgia
Bronze member
Agreeing with everyone else (except for the 50-miler with just water - that would not work so well for me) and wanted to add that you can expirament with different combinations to see what works for you, and when you need to eat. I'm riding 50+ miles tomorrow and plan on taking 1 bottle GU2O sports drink, 2 bottles water, 1 pack shot bloks, 1 larabar and 1 GU. I'm trying to eat every 45 minutes or so. I introduced the larabar into my nutrition becuase it is "real" food, and I eat them regularly so I know my tummy agrees. I've heard others doing things like Fig Newtons, candy, crackers, sandwiches, banannas, whatever!

For me, it was a "live and learn" thing. My first 25 miler was horrible because I had 1 bottle of water and 1 GU on a 102-degree day. I developed a huge headache and was shaky/dizzy for the 2nd half. Sometimes I still get that way if my ride ends up longer than I anticipated, but for the most part I've learned how much stuff I need to bring through trial and error.
2008-08-30 11:10 PM

User image

Master
Chandler, Arizona

My longest ride has been just over 2.5 hours and it was about 47 miles. I didn't have anything but water for the first hour and the second hour I did fine with a bottle of gatorade and a bag of shotblocks. The last 30 minutes I just finished what gatorade was left and I chased the ride with some chocolate milk and a good sized solid meal afterwards.

I usually don't take anything in for a ride under 60 minutes. I think most people should be fine with a pre ride meal or even your glycogen stores.  

2008-08-31 6:10 AM

New user

I eat on the bike according to the ride.  40-50 mile hammerfest maybe a gu to start and a gu halfway through.  On long rides (90 - 120) I tend to do better with some real food mixed in with the gu.  Bananas, cereal bars, fig newtons all seem to sit well for me.  I've also eaten stuff like PB&J at rest stops and that is ok, but seems hard to eat on the bike.  You really don't want to know some of the crap I've eaten from convenience stores after I've blown up!   

On a long ride I like to eat early in the ride and try and eat every hour or so.  If you wait to eat, you may have a hard time later in the ride.  Hydrate.  You gotta drink, too!  

2008-08-31 6:33 AM

User image

Master

As several other posters said, your fuel will really depend on the duration of your ride, your pacing, how you've eaten/hydrated earlier in the day, and the temperature of your ride.

Usually for rides of less than 1 hr, I take only water or electrolyte drink (G2O, Accelerade or Luna).  However, I've gotten shakey when doing this with Accelerade (which has the most calories of these three) because of not enough calories early in the day so it will really depend on the day.  Prior to the ride, I generallly eat a snack - nuts and a banana or an energy bar or PB&J.

For rides longer than 1 hr, I take one bottle of electrolyte drink and a Gu for every hour of activity.  For a 3 hr bike, I have to stop and refill my water bottles or buy a gatorade.  Sometimes I make more electrolyte drink (if it's hot) and sometimes not.  I've not tried "people food" very often on my bike yet but plan to start this week.  Lara's chocoladt bars were too thick for me - same with Cliff but might be OK broken into small pieces.  Lots of people eat Uncrustables sandwiches, fig newtons, etc.  I think poptarts or pretzels would also work.

2008-08-31 7:47 AM

User image

Master
Winder, GA

Solid food is not really something I felt like I wanted until I got past the 3 hour mark. Before that "magic" number for me I could do just liquid and Gu's but if I planned to go longer and had not mixed it up with something solid......my stomach did not want to cooperate. (does that make sense?)

I've been working on this all summer in preparation for my MS150 ride. I have been working to tweak my nutrition to finish strong and make sure I don't have too much of a deficit so I can ride again the next day. I have found that Gu20 is the best sports drink for me. Last weekend during a 4.5 hour ride I had Gu2o, water, Gu, shot bloks (won't do those again), a banana, and a couple of fig newtons. I think the little bit of solid food helped keep hunger at bay. It worked out to be about 200 calories/hour and I'm pretty sure I could not have tolerated any more. And anything more solid just sits in my stomach.

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Fueling up on bike rides.... Rss Feed