General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Clipless Pedals are trouble for me Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2008-08-31 2:44 PM

Subject: Clipless Pedals are trouble for me

Hi all,

I added clipless pedals to my bike in mid july, I did my first sprint July 26th.  Ever since the addition I have been uneasy about dismounting my bike.  After a long ride, I clip out and never have an easy time getting off my bike.  It is like I can't get my butt off the seat.  Also I can't take tight U-turns without busting it...I can clip out easy I just can't seem to get my feet on the ground.  I went to the bike shop yesterday thinking my seat may be too high but they said it was the opposite and raised it. Help me get off my bike..Any comments or opinions are appreciated.

Cami

2008-08-31 2:52 PM
in reply to: #1640462

Extreme Veteran
Western, Mass
Bronze member
Subject: RE: Clipless Pedals are trouble for me
Put your feet on the ground one at a time. Even if you unclip both feet, leave one on a pedal, until you stop the bike.
2008-08-31 2:54 PM

User image

Master
Loughborough, England

As you come to a stop unclip and let your legs dangle then as you come to a complete stop just slide forwards off the seat so that you are standing on two feet then just swing one of your legs over (you may want to keep one of the breaks on to keep the bike from moving).  Does this help...maybe...I've never though about how I get off the bike before.

2008-08-31 3:19 PM

djcamid - 2008-08-31 3:44 PM

Hi all,

I added clipless pedals to my bike in mid july, I did my first sprint July 26th.  Ever since the addition I have been uneasy about dismounting my bike.  After a long ride, I clip out and never have an easy time getting off my bike.  It is like I can't get my butt off the seat.  Also I can't take tight U-turns without busting it...I can clip out easy I just can't seem to get my feet on the ground.

Cami

How did you do it before you had clipless pedals? Getting off the bike is not pedal specific. Try riding around without your cycling shoes, in sneakers or running shoes, and see how you do it.

Also, try this:

Unclip one foot, whichever foot you put down first typically, a few minutes before you plan on stopping. When you come to a stop, slide forward on the seat until that foot makes contact with the ground. Try to subtly lean the bike toward whatever side you unclip first as you are sliding forward.

Regarding not being able to take tight UTurns "without busting it" - do you mean you are falling over when you make tight turns? That could be because your front foot is overlapping your front wheel when you turn - what size bike do you ride and what size feet do you have? If you have no degree of overlap, then you are just thinking you are gonna fall, thus you fall. I think you need to work on your bike handling skills without the clipless pedals first. Again, try this without your cycling shoes, in sneakers:

line up some markers in a parking lot - cones, water bottles, whatever.
Try to "slalom" through them. Start out with the cones/bottle far apart, then gradually move them closer so that you are making tighter turns.
You can also try making Uturns on quiet roads where there is little traffic. Take them slow but not too slow, and keep looking where you want to go and make the turn.

If the turning drills are something you aren't willing to try on pavement for fear of falling, then do it on grass (soccer field, wherever). That way if you fall you won't tear any skin off.

2008-08-31 7:06 PM

User image

Veteran
South Carolina
I'm kind of new too.  When I bought my bike, the bike shop guy noticed that I was trying to get off the bike seat sideways.  He said the right way is to slide forwards off the nose of the saddle and stand over the crossbar.  This helped me greatly!
2008-08-31 9:21 PM

Thank you for all of your suggestions, I will try all of them once we get through Gustav...I am hunkered down in South Louisiana...

2008-08-31 9:29 PM

Extreme Veteran
Western, Mass
Bronze member
hope you fare well.
2008-09-01 9:58 AM

User image

Veteran
Wilmington, NC
I for one TOTALLY disagree to unclipping both and leaving one foot on the pedal...if your shoes have CF soles then you very well might find yourself on the ground wondering what just happened...as I am more of a roadie I always put the same foot down (left foot) and the right foot is always in the same location (bottom of pedal stroke) CLIPPED when I unclip the left foot...I am also STANDING when I unclip the left foot...all weight on the right pedal...this helps the transition to the ground and forces you to put one foot down before you can unclip the other...I plant the left foot and LEAN the bike into my planted foot to help anchor the cleat...then and only then do I unclip the right foot...if you have ever been starting from a light or something and missed clipping in and your foot slips off the front of the pedal you fully understand why I am not a big fan of unclipping and coasting on the bike...one at a time...
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Clipless Pedals are trouble for me Rss Feed