General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Clipless Pedal Suggestions Needed Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2008-09-02 8:52 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Central New Jersey
Subject: Clipless Pedal Suggestions Needed

I know there are some threads on here already and have read them all. I am posting now because I noticed the other thread posters did not have knee issues which I do.

I am a new triathlete and am currently using toe clips but am ready to go to clipless pedals.  I have runner's knee and plantar fasciitis so my feet and legs are not in the best shape.  I don't have a lot of money to spend right now so I am looking for a good beginner pedal that won't break the bank especially since I have to buy the shoes too.   Looking to spend about $150-200 max total for shoes and pedals  but would be very happy if I can accomplish this for less than that.

I have found a couple pedals that I like but don't want to steer suggestions one way or another so I won't mention them right now. I do know that I want something that is double entry.  My Y is adding spin bikes.  Do I need bike shoes for this (with a specific cleat - if so, is this standard for spin bikes or do I have to ask the Y what they will be using) or can I wear regular sneakers?  If I need cycling shoes with cleats for spin classes,  then I guess whatever I get for my road bike, I would like to be able to use for the spin classes.

As for shoes, I don't see myself leaving my shoes clipped to my pedals anytime soon so I would need something that I can run in without ruinning so I know that this will also help influence which type of clipless to go with.

I would also love to hear what to avoid due to problems with knees, problems unclipping or product failure, etc.  THANKS!

2008-09-02 8:55 PM
in reply to: #1645027

User image

Master
PA
Subject: RE: Clipless Pedal Suggestions Needed
i love speedplays b/c they are double-sided (you can clip in either side) and b/c they have float.  I use the float.  I like to wiggle my feet around.  At my gym I do spinning in my sneakers....i would have to take off their pedals and put on mine, which isn't worth it to me.
2008-09-02 9:06 PM

User image

Elite
Armpit of Ontario

Crank Brother's Quattro road pedals fit your criteria:

Double sided (they actually have 4 points of entry, making them VERY beginner friendly), spring-tensioned, knee-saving float, and you can run in the shoes, as the cleats come with composite shoe adapters that recess the cleat slightly, giving you good traction. The cleats DO NOT clog with debris like Speedplays do, and they require NO routine maintenance like Speedplays do. They are available in several colours to match your bike or kit, if that matters to you.

New pedals in the SL series (stainless) can be had for around $65 and the cleats can be installed on shoes with 2-hole, 3-hole or universal mounting systems with the included universal adapters. Shoes can be found from $50 to $300+ depending on the features/frills.  

Sorry, I'm not sure what the universal cleat is for spin bikes; I'd be guessing SPD's. 

2008-09-03 5:59 AM

Extreme Veteran
Western, Mass
Bronze member
I'm with Sty, Eggbeaters are great. I used to use Speedplays, but after a muddy 'cross race, i switched, and never looked back.

Keivn
2008-09-03 9:44 AM

User image

Regular
Essex, England

I currently have SPD equipped shimano MO75 MTB shoes and they work fine with the Spin bikes in my gym. cheap and cheerful really. shoes were £50 and pedals £35 so I guess $100 and $65 in bucks. Shoes are easy to run in as well as the cleat is recessed in a rubber sole.

Only downside is they are no good if you want to leave them clipped on your pedals for fast T1 as entry is tricky.

An alternative if you can stretch to them is Shimano TR30 which will attach to SPD and have 3 hole pattern to attach to Look or other cleats if you upgraded your pedals later.

2008-09-03 3:44 PM

User image

Expert
Orange County, California
Most spin bikes use Shimano SPD pedals. Check with your gym though to make sure. Ask the spin instructors, because most of the other employees will not have a clue.

Double sided, would be Speed Plays, Crank Brothers, Shimano SPD's, and a few others.

Mountain bike shoes, you can walk around in. Most road shoes feel like you are walking on ice. Mtn bike shoes are a bit heavier though, if that matters to you.

2008-09-03 4:12 PM

User image

Master
Nashville, TN
I had the same problem when I upgraded also and decided to go with the Keo pedals. The main difference between them and speedplay is speedplay is double sided so they are easier to get into but at the same time their cleats are more expensive, but I am not sure if they last any longer either.

The speedplay cleats need an extra piece of plactic to convert your 3 wholed shoes into the 4 wholed cleat pattern just FYI when buying a cleat set.
2008-09-03 4:22 PM

Veteran
CA
Eggbeaters are very beginner friendly, and at $35 for a pair of the MXR models, a very cheap investment. I started with them (not the MXR, but the C model, but very little different between the two) and was very happy with them.
2008-09-03 4:23 PM

User image

Master
Riverside, IL
Like others have already said...*most* spin bikes are equipped with standard Shimano SPD pedals. I currently use Shimano SPD pedals (PD-M520's...on sale for $45 at Performance right now) on my road bike. They are double-sided entry, and are a great pedal for beginners that are just switching over to clipless. They have an adjustable tension to make entry/exit as easy or hard as you like. However, SPD's don't have a lot of float...so that might be a factor given your bad knee issues. I use the same shoes (I wear a pair of Specialized Riata women's MTB shoes...about $90) for both spinning and road riding. Since they are mountain bike shoes, they are "walkable", and yes...even "runable". I've used them in both of my triathlons, and had no problems doing a slow jog in transition wearing them. Sure, they're a bit heavier and not as flashy looking as the sleek tri-specific cycling shoes out there...but they work fine for me.
2008-09-03 8:15 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Central New Jersey

Thanks to everyone for your suggestions. I am still overwhelmed with the options.

I am leaning towards the Shimano SPD PD-M520's and will look at the mountain bike shoes as an option so that I can walk in them.  I will have to find them locally because I have a horrible time getting shoes to fit on a normal day.   I like the fact that the pedals are not expensive but have good reviews and offer me a good starting point for clipless pedals.   I like that I can probably use the same shoes for spinning but will check with the Y to find out for sure.  The addition at the Y is scheduled to be finished in December so hopefully someone will know which bikes they have or will be ordering. 

Thanks again for all the help and suggestions.

2008-09-03 8:34 PM

User image

to help your knees, get a pedal with plenty of float and make sure to adjust the cleat position on your shoe. i use shimano ultegra spd-sl pedals with the std yellow cleats they came with. i think they have 6 degree of float. they are one side one entry point only, but don't take that long to get used to (IMO). you cannot "run" in these cleats but you can waddle .

you can get ultegra spd-sl pedals new on ebay buy it now for $70 + ship and then find yourself some shoes on nashbar or performance bike for $75-$100.

2008-09-04 6:49 AM

User image

Master
Winder, GA

I'd echo the Shimano M520's. I use them on my mountain bike and they're great because they have adjustable tension (for easy clipping in/out) and they're double sided. You should be able to find them for about $50 and the Shimano MO75 shoe is an entry-level mountain bike shoe that should be about $80. In my experience, Shimano shoes are *close* to size but you should try them on to make sure. Mountain bike shoes are great in that the cleat is recessed so you can walk in them (done it many times in the woods ) and they will probably work with the spin bikes at the gym.

The 520's do have a little float but not a lot. I use generic Look-style pedals (found them on ebay for $45 + shipping) on my road bike with a cleat that gives me 9* of float. I have issues with one leg and really like having the ability to move my foot around.

2008-09-06 4:07 PM
in reply to: #1648425

User image

Extreme Veteran
Central New Jersey

Thanks to all for the suggestions. I bought the shimano spd pd-m520's yesterday at REI for $50 and found Specialized Spirita road shoes at the LBS since they do run true to size.  I had to go with the road shoe though because I could not find any mountain shoes that would fit right.  With the European sizing, I am in between sizes on most shoes. 

I will  be sure to practice clipping in and out lots before heading out for a ride.  I will update you and let you know how I make out.

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Clipless Pedal Suggestions Needed Rss Feed