General Discussion Triathlon Talk » bunion surgery Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2008-09-03 9:37 AM

User image

Veteran
Subject: bunion surgery
Anybody got bunion surgery? I'm getting it in November and have IMCA in august. The Doc said two weeks out of work, 6 weeks no running. How was it when you got back to running? I'm a bit afraid but really no choice; pain is all the time now.

Nathalie

2008-09-03 2:19 PM
in reply to: #1645812

User image

Colorado
Subject: RE: bunion surgery

nathaliemonique - 2008-09-03 8:37 AM Anybody got bunion surgery? I'm getting it in November and have IMCA in august. The Doc said two weeks out of work, 6 weeks no running. How was it when you got back to running? I'm a bit afraid but really no choice; pain is all the time now. Nathalie

Hello Nathalie,

I had this surgery, plus a tendon repair and had 6 weeks off running.  First problem I had was swelling around the surgical site, including the bottom of my foot around the big toe.  Not only is this painful, but it makes your entire foot tilt to the outside if you get this.  My ankle also got weak in the surgical boot, so I sprained my ankle as a result on my very first run.  It was bad enough to land me back in the stupid surgical boot!  (With the pain you have now, you're probably running on the outside of your foot anyway?  Just remember your ankle will be weaker after wearing the boot....)

Anyway, my foot has been a problem although right now (9 months later) I can run a half marathon before it gets cranky with me.  I have had a couple of days where it acts up after a 5K, but those are few and far between at this point.  Currently I have some tarsal tunnel syndrome, which seems to be a result of the sprain. 

My suggestion is to be VERY careful when you start running.  If you sprain your ankle, it will slow everything down significantly.  I ran mostly on dirt trails as it made a difference in how quickly my foot would swell.  Tighter shoes seemed to help...a little more compression to keep the swelling down.   I also got an ice machine with a pad to wrap around my foot--this helps alot.  Physical therapy helps alot to alleviate inflammation, muscle stiffness, etc., as well.  I would push for that. 

Good luck to you!

2008-09-03 9:48 PM
in reply to: #1646704

User image

Master
"Home of Superman"
AndriaLL - 2008-09-03 2:19 PM

nathaliemonique - 2008-09-03 8:37 AM Anybody got bunion surgery? I'm getting it in November and have IMCA in august. The Doc said two weeks out of work, 6 weeks no running. How was it when you got back to running? I'm a bit afraid but really no choice; pain is all the time now. Nathalie

Hello Nathalie,

I had this surgery, plus a tendon repair and had 6 weeks off running.  First problem I had was swelling around the surgical site, including the bottom of my foot around the big toe.  Not only is this painful, but it makes your entire foot tilt to the outside if you get this.  My ankle also got weak in the surgical boot, so I sprained my ankle as a result on my very first run.  It was bad enough to land me back in the stupid surgical boot!  (With the pain you have now, you're probably running on the outside of your foot anyway?  Just remember your ankle will be weaker after wearing the boot....)

Anyway, my foot has been a problem although right now (9 months later) I can run a half marathon before it gets cranky with me.  I have had a couple of days where it acts up after a 5K, but those are few and far between at this point.  Currently I have some tarsal tunnel syndrome, which seems to be a result of the sprain. 

My suggestion is to be VERY careful when you start running.  If you sprain your ankle, it will slow everything down significantly.  I ran mostly on dirt trails as it made a difference in how quickly my foot would swell.  Tighter shoes seemed to help...a little more compression to keep the swelling down.   I also got an ice machine with a pad to wrap around my foot--this helps alot.  Physical therapy helps alot to alleviate inflammation, muscle stiffness, etc., as well.  I would push for that. 

Good luck to you!

Do you recommend the sugery?

2008-09-03 11:17 PM

User image

Elite
Renton, Washington

I had it done on both feet in May 1993. Best decision I ever made. I was also told to swim a lot during recovery to build muscle and movement back up in my ankles. I literally had to learn to walk all over again. If I had only gotten one done I would never have gotten the other one done though!  15 years later though I still have some issues. I have soft feet and can't really walk barefoot an awful lot which bothers me obviously on some swim entries and exits. 

I was never really a runner and have been told to only run on asphalt and trails or a treadmill. But I never listen to anyone however.....they aren't as painful as they were before the surgery! Urgh.  Just take it slowly and listen to your Dr!  Even if you don't want to at times!

I wish you luck and a speedy recovery  

2008-09-05 10:56 AM

User image

Veteran
So now i got a deep muscle massage and he work on my foot which release a lot of the pain. He then gave me streches to do which seem to help. I'm thinking of holding off because of this Ironman...I just don't want to take the chance expecially for IMCA. I got so lucky to get in online. I don't want to sc@@w it up. I will see my deep muscle therapist in two weeks and he is going to work on it..Hopefully it will work.

Nathalie
2008-09-08 11:54 AM

User image

Master
Chicago

Hey there fellow bunionite...

I had my left one done while still competing in HS CC and track, and it really wasn't that big of a deal, although it did come back after a number of years, but isn't painful or uncomfortable like it used to be.  I then had the right one done in 2005 and wished I had not gotten it done....it was not only a lot more painful than the time I had it done in HS, but, I developed such severe scar tissue, that I was in PT for months because my big toe wouldn't move...I was even told if it never fully healed, that I wouldn't be able to run again, or at least, not the long distances that I was used to.

It's all better now, and I feel like I am back to myself, those were just some really dark, long, missing running days back in '05.

2008-09-09 4:22 AM

User image

Veteran
reply to miami 9296,

so in my case would you do it? You we're happy with the first one, but problems with the second one..that is what i'm afraid of..I also work on my feet and can not afford to be more than 2 weeks out of work..I am kind of in a pickle.: (

Nathalie

PS: Hopefully "ART" will work on it
2008-09-09 6:45 AM

Extreme Veteran
I had bunion surgery a few years ago. Actually it was a modified bunion surgery, dorsal bunion surgery for bone spurs on the first metatarsal on my right foot. My first metatarsal was longer then my second. Over the years, there was a build up. When I stubbed by foot one day, the spur broke off. The surgery was to shorten the first metatarsal so the spur would not grow back. (Or quit being “active”.). Now there is a pin in it. The good news is the surgery was a success. My foot now spreads the impact over the rest of my toes. Had 4 or 5 weeks of PT. The bad news, my second metatarsal was not used to this new impact/range of motion! That caused some pain that custom orthotics took care, sort of. So, to answer your question, at first I hated having the operation because the pain to my second metatarsal and loss of range to my first. With the PT and time to adjust to orthotics, it impacted my training. It’s better now, still feel the first metatarsal at times. Still need to wear orthotics. It's a routine operation, but you will need to deal with the after effects.
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » bunion surgery Rss Feed