General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Hypoglycemic symptoms... Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2008-09-03 12:46 PM

Veteran
Cornwall, PEI
Subject: Hypoglycemic symptoms...

When I get hungry, if I don`t eat right away I start shaking, and sometimes sweating if I go too long without eating(sort of like a hot flash I guess...I am a male )

I was in a first aid course a year ago and I asked the lady about it and she said it sounds like I would be hypoglycemic but I just have those symptoms when I am hungry and need food.

I have always been big into the weights at the gym, and all that, and now getting into Tri`s I am getting kind of worried about how this will affect me. It has affected me a few times already in training when I start to feel like that, I have to stop because I don`t have a quick fix for myself.

I have always been big eater, its a big joke at work that every time I eat people laugh and ask me what meal number that is for me that day... I enjoy food and maybe that is one of my biggest problems(i`m very skinny though), I can`t stop eating and I always want to eat.

Is this something that some energy gels or something of the sorts could fix for me, even on training rides? I have yet to try them but I just wanted to see if anyone else has these same problems.

Thanks

Miguel

Edited by Mig 2008-09-03 12:47 PM

2008-09-03 2:59 PM
in reply to: #1646356

User image

Champion
Urbandale, IA
Subject: RE: Hypoglycemic symptoms...
Mig - 2008-09-03 12:46 PM

When I get hungry, if I don`t eat right away I start shaking, and sometimes sweating if I go too long without eating(sort of like a hot flash I guess...I am a male )

I was in a first aid course a year ago and I asked the lady about it and she said it sounds like I would be hypoglycemic but I just have those symptoms when I am hungry and need food.

I have always been big into the weights at the gym, and all that, and now getting into Tri`s I am getting kind of worried about how this will affect me. It has affected me a few times already in training when I start to feel like that, I have to stop because I don`t have a quick fix for myself.

I have always been big eater, its a big joke at work that every time I eat people laugh and ask me what meal number that is for me that day... I enjoy food and maybe that is one of my biggest problems(i`m very skinny though), I can`t stop eating and I always want to eat.

Is this something that some energy gels or something of the sorts could fix for me, even on training rides? I have yet to try them but I just wanted to see if anyone else has these same problems.

Thanks

Miguel

Miguel - it certainly sounds as though you have a tendency to be hypoglycemic after/during extended activity.  This may or may not be a precursor to diabetes, so your first step should be to have your physician do a complete work-up.  It may be nothing, but it may be something.  let's be safe first, no? 

As far as being hypoglycemic and being thin - that is not rare.  It happens a lot actually.  You need to pay a little more attention to your training/race nutrition than the normal "Joe" does.  Not a big deal.  Gel's are good for something that will get you through a shorter period, but you need a much more complex carb to get you into a place that keeps you going without having to treat repeatedly.  There are many bar type of nutrition sources that can aid in this.

Maybe one of our diabetic members can help out and aid you in choosing something that works for them in those situations.  Then you also have to find something that works for you that doesn't give you GI distress.  Hopefully, one of our members that has experience with the issue can help you out, but please, get thee to a doc for a check-up and such, just to be sure. 

2008-09-03 3:52 PM

Veteran
Cornwall, PEI

Thank you very much for the reply jdwright.

I was planning on going to the doctor since I started because this has been an ongoing thing with me for the past few years. Even when I am not working out or doing cardio it still happens when I get hungry, just not as bad as when I am doing something which needs a high amount of energy.

Thank you for the information, lately I have been trying to eat a few different things as a meal before doing a workout and some have made me get really tired and sick feeling along with the hunger issues...

Thanks again!

2008-09-16 9:45 PM

User image

New user
I get this pretty often and always have. My hands tremble and I get sweaty. It's not necessarily that I'm really hungry- it's like I'm low on sugar or something- because a zone bar or a snickers bar or something like that usually makes it better within just a few minutes. Hope this helps?
2008-09-17 9:16 AM

DC Metro

Do you eat well before a workout.  Also, do you eat a lot of sugary foods/refined carbs?  I find that hypoglycemic episodes hit me when:

1) I don't eat before a workout or eat well enough.

2) I eat refined carbs.  Last time I had an episode, I had a panera sandwich with a white type bread.  

I'd say eat every 2-3 hours, eat a balanced diet, avoid lots of sugary stuff and refined carbs.  Of course that is just my general experience.

I think the idea of getting a physical and getting your blood sugar levels tested is a good idea as well.

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Hypoglycemic symptoms... Rss Feed