General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Is shin tightness when running shin splints? Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2008-09-03 3:04 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Central New Jersey
Subject: Is shin tightness when running shin splints?

During bike/run bricks and my first triathlon (which I had to walk almost the entire run course due to this), when it comes to the run, I have had tightness and incredible pain in both legs running along the fronts of my mid-shins.  Stretching helps ease/relax it  but it has hampered my training.  Up until today's run workout, it had only happened after biking.  It was really bad on Sunday after I rode the bike course for my upcoming tri at the end of September.    Today it happened when I tried to run after swimming.  I am still building my running back up and am at walk 3 run 1 minute (actually just increased this from 3:30/:30 from the past two weeks - when doing this, I don't remember the tightness/pain).  I was able to run for the first minute but then when I slowed down to walk again, I had that tightness/pain in my shins. It does not hurt when I am walking around, doing everyday activities, etc. I do notice today that my shins are still tight but there is no pain.

Is this the beginning of shin splints?  something else? anything else I should be doing?

I really want to be able to run but it seems my body just keeps fighting me.  I already have plantar fasciitis (had before started training for Tris) and runner's knee (developed in April right when my running was making great progress) which is why my running progress has been so slowed back to a crawl.  I have orthotics in my shoes, had a gait analysis and fitted for correct running shoes and wear a knee strap for me knee all along with the stretches/exercises I am supposed to do daily for each of these.  I have been cleared medically to run with both of these but am extremely frustrated right now.

Thanks for any help.

2008-09-03 9:06 PM
in reply to: #1646862

User image

Champion
Verona WI--Ironman Bike Country!
Subject: RE: Is shin tightness when running shin splints?

It might be shin splints or it could be anterior compartment syndrome.  Or it could really tight calves that are causing pain in your shins.  A few questions.....

http://www.sportsinjuryclinic.net/vst/index.php

Where exactly is the pain?

What is your running style? are you a heel striker? is your stride long? often times people will overstrike which causes a breaking effect which leads to shin pain. Try shortening your stride a bit and see if that helps, especially off the bike.

Do you stretch regularly, including your calves and shins? Since you already have PF, I am guessing you do not stretch your calves as much as you could. If not, this is one of the first things I would start doing to loosen up those muscles.

I know when I get lazy and don't warm up properly and stretch I am prone to more issues like you are describing.

Suzy

Edited by SSMinnow 2008-09-03 9:07 PM
2008-09-04 11:28 AM
in reply to: #1647938

User image

Extreme Veteran
Central New Jersey

Hi Suzy,

Thanks for the link.   It could be compartment syndrome and am pretty sure it is not shin splints.  As far as teh compartment syndrome, I am not totally sure yet since I don't  have problems moving my foot up or down and actually sitting on the floor with my leg slightly bent and pulling my toes/foot upwards to flex it eases the pain which then allows me to run again.  Also, the pain eases if I walk for a while rather than running.   I don't have any pain when pointing my toes.  I am really focusing on stretching my legs now hoping that it is just tight muscles in my calves, shins and hamstrings.

The pain is in both shins about midway up my legs along and outside of the shin bone.  It does not hurt down towards my ankles or up at my knees.

I am a midfoot striker and don't really have a long stride.  I do sometimes have a habit of striking too far forward on my feet (ball of foot or even almost on my toes) and probably is the cause of the pain. 

2008-09-04 1:01 PM
in reply to: #1649261

User image

Veteran
Santa Monica, CA

Hi Randi,

I posted a similar question last year when I started my walk/run program.  I was sure it couldn't be shin splints...not sure why I was so sure, probably just denial!

I had been seeing a physical therapist for something else and mentioned the tightness to him, and he declared it indeed was shin splints.  Damn!

Seeing as you already have orthotics, that is probably half the battle.  The other half would be to try using a rolling pin on the shins.  Someone gave me that advice, and to get orthotics, both of which I've done and I haven't had a problem since.

The thing about the rolling pin is to do it VERRRRRRYYY gingerly.  It's very painful to apply much pressure at all, so do it very slowly, and build up the pressure gently.  Don't be in a hurry to massage it out.  You wanna loosen it up a bit, and then build up to being able to dig in there, rocking the rolling pin over little tiny areas at a time, not long rolls up and down the leg.

I did this for about 10 mins a nite for about 4 days and it cleared up.  Now, any time I feel a twinge of it coming on, I roll and ice, and it goes away immediately.

I hope this helps you--I totally "get" the frustration this causes!  (All my blogs from last summer are me complaining about it!)

Dana 

2008-09-04 2:00 PM
in reply to: #1649627

User image

Extreme Veteran
Central New Jersey

Thanks Dana.  Okay, maybe it is shin splints. I did not think it was because of the location of the pain not being right above my ankle but higher up on my leg.  Who knows. I will try your rolling pin thing.  I do have orthotics in my shoes already so that is taken care of.

I also found some stretches for the shins/calves that I can add to my stretching routine for my knee and feet.  Hopefully all these things will help so that I can someday actually run the run leg of a triathlon.  For now, I am resigned to walking the run portion of my next tri in less than a month. I will be happy if I can walk it faster than I walked my first one.

2008-09-05 9:33 AM
in reply to: #1646862

User image

Muscle Shoals, AL / Navarre Beach, FL
Sounds exactly like what I had when I started back running again. I couldn't walk any distance at all without getting pain in the exact same spot you are. I have a friend who is a PT and she took one look at my legs and told me that my calf muscles were too tight and that was the cause of the problems.

She recommended drawing the ABC's with my feet several times a day, different strecthes focusing on my calves and getting Powerstep inserts for my shoes. I went from not being able to walk/run more than a half mile before they started hurting, to finishing two 5k's within 2 weeks after seeing her.

Good luck

2008-09-05 2:04 PM
in reply to: #1652444

User image

Extreme Veteran
Central New Jersey
Thanks for the suggestions/recommendations.  I did do some yoga and extra stretching last night and yes, my calves, hamstrings, quads were extremely tight.  I will keep at the stretching and hope that the pain is just from the tightness.
2008-09-05 8:34 PM
in reply to: #1653345

User image

Veteran
You should try massaging your calves. It helps to loosen up tight muscles before and after runs, and when they feel tight.
2008-09-06 9:05 AM
in reply to: #1649903

User image

Veteran
Santa Monica, CA

Yeah, mine were very high up too, and on the sides.  In my mind, the shins are the front bony part of the lower leg, and I was feeling it on the sides about 5 inches north of my ankles.  Go figure.

Don't quit!  You'll get there.  Everyone's given you great advice, so give it a few weeks.

PS:  I have a sticky note on my computer at work that says "ABC"--to remind myself to write the abc's with my toes while I'm sitting there all day!  My PT recommended it.

2008-09-06 2:09 PM
in reply to: #1654882

User image

Extreme Veteran
Central New Jersey
Thanks again. I am focusing on stretching my calves and shins and working on ABC's too.  I appreciate all the info and suggestions!
2008-09-08 12:48 PM
in reply to: #1655145

User image

Extreme Veteran
Central New Jersey

Just a quick update - I spent the weekend stretching and doing the ABC's with my feet.  I headed to the Y to run on the elevated track today and was able to do finish my scheduled workout  48  minutes (3 min walk/1 min run). I did stretch before I started and again about 8  minutes in when my calves/shins started to tighten up.  I shortened my stride which helped with the midfoot strike and I switched from my superfeet inserts back to the orthotics from the podiatrist. I cooled down for a few laps and then stretched again.  I think that the combination of all these things mae for a VERY successful training session.

Thanks again for all the advice and suggestions.  I don't think today would have been possible without them.

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Is shin tightness when running shin splints? Rss Feed