General Discussion Triathlon Talk » How did you get into triathlon? Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 2

2008-09-04 3:37 PM

User image

Master
Wisteria Lane
Subject: How did you get into triathlon?

How did you find your way into the sport of triathlon? I know a few of your stories but not all of them. 

I started out by getting off of the couch and learning to run two years ago (still learning actually-LOL).  A combination of wanting to crosstrain and also find an activity to do while I had an injury brought me to biking.  I really enjoyed both of them and wanted to find a race to do with each of them.  I found a couple of duathlons but decided that I really wanted to challenge myself and see if I could swim the distance as well.   Once I did my first triathlon I was hooked. 

How about you all? How did you find yourself here? 

2008-09-04 3:49 PM
in reply to: #1650382

User image

Master
Subject: RE: How did you get into triathlon?
I started with biking. But I had seen the Ironman on TV when I was a teenager and always thought, "man, that'd be cool to do." I did swimming next. As I lost weight, I began running.

I'm slow. But I truly love all three disciplines.
2008-09-04 3:54 PM

Subject: ...
This user's post has been ignored.
2008-09-04 4:18 PM

Master
Goodyear, AZ

It all started waaay back in 2000 when I watched the CA Ironman go through Camp Pendleton in Oceanside (it's now a 70.3). I said to my hubby "I want to do that one day". Well, it took a while. 2 years ago, a co-worker talked me into signing up for the Anthem tri I had ran track and x-country in HS and had been a "jogger" on and off as an adult. I didnt really enjoy running but I did it because it was the easiest way to stay in shape. I only owned an old wal-mart mtn bike and could barely swim. In the end, my friend baled on the race but I did the Anthem race in sept 2006. I had a great run, only to be passed by everyone on my mtn bike and in the pool. I remember sitting watching the awards ceremony and thinking that I wanted to do better next time. A few months later I bought a road bike and I've been training hard ever since

What keeps me interested in the sport are the great friends that I train with and you guys on BT

2008-09-04 4:20 PM

Expert
Tempe, Arizona (hot hot hot)
I did indurence sports in the Army. I did land navigation races and obstical course races. I also did competative down hill mountian biking in Germany. That was my start. I was hit on my bike while trainning in Germany and that put an end to my sports for a while as well as my military career for a while. I had also sustained some other injuries that left me a lame duck for almost a year. Now before the accident I was 265lbs and 10% body fat. I was looking good. After I was recovered from the accident and a broken ankle a year later I was 300+.

I had seen Ironman Az 07 and thought they were crazy. I then kinda fell into a sweet deal, $250 for a Trek 1000 road bike. I put about 50 miles on it in two weeks. Now I was happy about that then. I had never riden a road bike nore did I ever think I would. I was a mountain biker.

Ironman april '08 was three blocks from my house. I complained about it because it made it hard to get to work in the morning. But after work I came back and this time I was riding around all the stuff and looking at the beautiful bikes. I started to see the people coming in and the anouncer saying So and So, "You are and Ironman" and they looked like they had just won the lottery. It made me think.

I called my brother Adam0778 and asked him if he knew anything about Triathlon. He didn't. So I came home and googled it. I found out there were sprints and olys and quartermans and half IM's and IMs and even Exteras. I also found BT that night.

I looked for a while and didn't say anything. By May I was willing to start the Trainning. And I was looking at doing the Firecracker Tri in Tucson. That got canceled so I signed up for the Chances for Children. August 9th I became a Triathlete and now I am a full blown addict.
2008-09-04 4:25 PM

Expert
scottsdale, az
I was in a Human, Physiology, Anatomy class, and it was extra credit to participate in a race for a cause. I decided to sign up did Tri for the Cure ( sprint of course), but was absolutely hooked. .We watched a movie that had a scene of "The Ironman competition", I knew right away that, that was something I wanted to do.

Edited by gymgirlx 2008-09-04 4:35 PM

2008-09-04 4:30 PM

Elite
the desert

My college roommatewanted me to run the inaugural Disneyland Half-marathon with him back in 2006. I jokingly agreed (I was on the couch and not working out at all) - - but came up with some brilliant excuse to not do it. I promised I would do it in '07. Fast forward to Jan '07 and I decided I should start doing something about it, even though the race wasn't until Labor Day.  I started running a little. I'm the type of person who needs some vaildation or at least an not-so-far-off endgoal. I registered for a 5K (through the hill Phx Zoo). It was brutal, but I enjoyed the feel of the race.

I was a H.S. swimmer and started doing a little swimming to offset my running. While at my daughter's gymnastics class, I saw an ad for a sprint tri in Scottsdale. Earlier in life, Ihad always wanted to do one. I decided I would register - -even though I had no bike. I dusted off an old road bike that was stored at my parents house (I don't believe Peugeot has made bicycles for some time) and started to ride a little. I had no clue what I was doing on the bike - "I can ride 12 miles on a bike - - no problem." 

Race day came. Swim was great and I was feeling strong. The bike leg came and I went from 6th place in the Clydesdales (out of 17) to 15th. Oh, did I work my way backwards though the field. I thought I could bring it back some on the run, but I was exhausted and had to walk several times. I did, however, really like the encouragement that the other racers kept giving as they ran by. I think that is one of the things that hooked me on this sport. I finished the run, but dropped to 16th out of the 17 clydes.

I got hooked and signed up for a lot of events (6 tris, 5 5Ks, 2 10Ks, 2 Half-Marathons, and a few other events in '07).  BT helped a lot...both with learning how to train and meeting folks. I think the first BTers I met were StandswithFist, BHannahs, and Riorio.

I love doing this and wish I had gotten into it earlier. Not only do I enjoy the racing, the training, and the people - - I've lost a lot of weight .Back in the Fall of '06, I was probably around 220 (I'm 6'2", so I carried it okay). By Feb '07, I had lost a little. By my first race, I was 200 even (still a CLyde). I didn't think I had that much more to lose, but it kept going. I've been just under 170 for some time now. People at work used to ask me if I was sick - - but I think now they see a very healthy, active person.

Another benefit - I've gotten several other friends into running and another into tri's.

2008-09-04 4:40 PM

Extreme Veteran
Mountain View, CA

I've been a cyclist for years - I got into it when I got out of college. When I lived in Boston I raced a bit, and through some of my cyclist pals I ended up watching a few local cyclocross races and that looked fun too. I started running to train for that, and when I moved to California I did a bit of cyclocross racing, since it was much more laid back than road racing. At the time, I had an awesome roommate named Jesse who raced cross and also did triathlons. He was one my best roommates ever and one of the fittest guys I've ever known, even though he subsisted on a diet of $1 frozen pizzas, burritos, and steamed vegetables (he was vegetarian), did most races with some kind of hangover, and even won some races with some degree of hangover (this prep strategy never worked for me).

I moved to Tempe a few months before the inaugural Ironman here. Jesse came down to do it and it was really fun to watch. I hadn't been working out much in Arizona, since the roads around here suck for cycling compared to the Bay Area or even Boston, but I started riding and running again sporadically. I'm not sure what exactly happened after that - it was a combination of talking to a coworker who did tris (robin314159!), joining a gym with a pool, decided I should finally learn to swim, and finding a good workout log where I could fill a graph with pretty colors.

I did my first tri last summer while prepping for a mountaineering trip in Peru. To this day, my big goals are still more along the lines of wanting to climb big peaks rather than do an Ironman, and I still much prefer water in its mostly frozen, semi-vertical forms... but endurance is endurance, and tri training is a good way to get where I want to go. 

2008-09-04 4:40 PM

Pro
AZ

Damn. I fear this will become long winded. But really, what else would you expect from me?  Let me see if I can boil it down to bullet points:

- Got fat
- Decided to stop being fat in March of 2005
- Joined Weight Watchers and lost 25#
- Started walk/jogging to lose the second 25#
- Jogging became running
- Needed a running goal
- Trained for the PF Changs half in Jan of 2006 and ran the New Times 10k in preparation
- Totally jacked up my leg leading up the the half and during the half, couldn't run for 3 months afterward
- Decided something that was more cross training and not ALL running would be good for my old bod
- Enter: Triathlon. Only problem is I cannot swim. Can't put my face in the water. Have huge water fear
- Hired a triathlon swim coach in Jul 2006 for 1 on 1 lessons, and started by trying to blow air out my nose for longer than one millisecond.  This was hard and I looked like a tard.  BUT I swam for 1 hour 5 days a week for 3 mo straight before my first Tri
 - First Tri was Tinfoilman Sprint at U of A. Freaken 800m swim about killed me!!  It took me forever because I was clinging to the edges freaking out!!!  BUT I did it.  Afterward during the free massage the masseuse pressed so hard on my back that she dislocated a rib in the front of my chest. Ouch. Hard to breathe now. Thanks.
 - Coach decided I need to immediately jump back in and redeem myself because she knew I could do it.  The water fear was just getting into my head. So 2 weeks later I was racing in the Scottsdale Tri Family Racing sprint, with tape around my chest to compress my painfully dislocated rib.  I got 3rd in my age group.  I guess she was right.
 - Since then I have never looked back. Dislocated ribs or IT band issue could not keep me down.  This Oct will be 2 years of Triathlon.  Since becoming active again I have completed 11 Sprints, 6 Olympics, 1 Half Ironman, 3 half marathons, 9 various running races, and a century bike race. I am currently training for my second Half Ironman here at the end of Oct, and will do another sprint and Olympic this month before the HIM. My plan is to complete the full Ironman next year at Arizona Ironman. Not bad for an old lady who can't swim!!
There.....realatively short.
I said relatively.

Edited by StandsWithFist 2008-09-04 4:41 PM
2008-09-04 5:02 PM

Master
Peoria, AZ (Near Lake Pleasant)

Moved to AZ in Aug of 2006 and liked the weather

Tried a little jogging to help stay awake for two jobs

Was talked into first tri (Sprint at Tempe International Triathlon) and Met Bhannas and a ton of hot looking hard bodies.  Thought "self, you like the way these people look and they are somewhat accepting of the big dorky guy you appear to be - there could be something here!"

Bhannas talks me into joining BT - was PM'd by standswithfist and told to stop lurking and come to OWS with a local group.

Several race fees later saw me as a local celebrity (at least in my own mind) and made great friends that I could train and drink with as well as pull off century rides, 1/2 and full Mary's, and even travel to other states for HIM's with my BT gang.

Wow - I suppose I have done it all and now can retire after the next big event in 81 days!

2008-09-04 5:47 PM

Master

I've gotten into triathlon twice now.

The first time had such a positive effect on my life that I came back to it as a last ditch effort to save myself.  Some people find religion. I've found triathlon twice now. 

2008-09-04 5:59 PM

Elite
Phoenix, AZ

After ACLreplacement surgery on one knee and the doctor wanting surgery on the second knee (one day I'll do it) I decided  I needed to play less soccer.  I've had a bike for a while, and I love swimming. This was a good fit.

Any other ACL'er out there?

2008-09-04 6:01 PM

Master
Wisteria Lane

It's great to get to know some of you better! 

One thing that still cracks me up is that I used to ride a bike (it was actually my husband's hybrid bike)  8 mph for four miles around my neighborhood and get whooped.  I had a friend that was into triathlon and he asked me "where" and "what" I was riding.  I didn't even have a clue I was so slow.  Isn't it funny to look back now at some of the progress? 

2008-09-04 6:04 PM
in reply to: #1650875

2008-09-04 6:22 PM

Veteran
Phoenix

I got a call from my brother (oxofthedessert) and he said "hey man do you know anything about triathlons".  Well I did not.  I got a call a few hours later to tell me he was going to do it, and asked if I wanted to train with him.  So I said sure.  Deep down I thought this would be something that he will start and not finish. (Sorry brother).  So I trained off and on, not really taking it serious.  I was just waiting for him to quit so I could quit.  Well much to my suprise he did not quit.  I did.  He ran his first tri and I was there to see it.  I was amazed at how proud of him I was and still am. 

I was in a place where I was drinking very heavily.  I had always used the excuses of an Army accident that left me in pretty bad shape and ended my military career.  I saw people twice my size, and twice my age compete in the tri.  So I said no more excuses.  I am doing this!  I still hurt pretty bad from day to day, but I am determined.  After my injuries in the Army I was told that I would probably keep my limp for life, and would never be able to have a very active life.  When I cross the finish line at the Anthem Tri, I will be able to prove them wrong.  I make my future, not doctors. 

The bonus, is getting to train with my brothers (Koachman and oxofthedessert).  As well as meeting some great people and getting to train and hang out with the cool kids.  Thanks gang. 

Edited by Adam0778 2008-09-04 6:23 PM
2008-09-04 6:48 PM

Expert
I started riding and I did about 14mph and thought I was king of the road. After my brother (Koachman) kicked my bitt and made me Bonk I stepped it up. Months of hard work and I still only average about 18 on a good ride.

2008-09-04 8:16 PM

Master
Flagstaff and Phoenix, AZ

I quit smoking in September 2006 and then my mom died of heart disease a couple of months later. To keep myself out of depression, which both of those events would have triggered, and off anti-depressant drugs I started training in early 2007. I've always swum a lot, so that came easy. Then I dusted off the MTB and added a little jogging to the mix.

I had a BF in HS who did tris (in the early 80s!) so I knew about them and had always been intrigued. The goal was to "finish" a tri, the Mountain Man Sprint last year. Oh well.

I've not only found great friends and a wonderful community here on BT but I've learned so much about people and myself. Thanks everyone for putting up with me.

2008-09-04 9:43 PM
in reply to: #1651317

Extreme Veteran
Tucson, AZ

First, thanks to all for sharing the stories, they have been fun to read:

In short: 

June of '04, diagnosed with cancer, surgery, etc. to get rid of it...

March '05, woke up fat (185 @ 5'5" ), looked at my 50th birthday and said, I am a butt head for not being healthy for the rest of my life...

Now 145,  lots of marathons later, on my way to do an HIM to celebrate five years cancer free at 53 next summer.

I will feel this good everyday for the rest of my life.  My photo shows a "V" with my hand.  That is for victory of cancer for me and stroke for my wife.  Life is meant to be relished and what a better way then to feel as good as we do every day!

Edited by etknowles 2008-09-04 9:46 PM
2008-09-04 11:16 PM

Expert
That is cool. Cancer sucks. Keep kicking the crap out of it with every race.

And for Saucente, I quite smoking a year and half ago after watching my grandmother die fom it. I still kinda miss smoking but then I think what it was like to see that. Good luck with the not smoking and it looks like you are doing great.
2008-09-04 11:44 PM

Veteran
Flagstaff, AZ

Like a lot of other triathletes I have an extremely addictive/obsessive personality.

A couple of years ago I was in a bad place mentally and I was drinking too much.  I decided I needed to make some sort of change in my lifestyle.  For some reason triathlon jumped into my head.  I signed up for the Blue Water sprint triathlon the same day.

If nothing else it has given me a more positive place to channel my obsessive/addictive tendencies.

2008-09-05 12:49 AM

Extreme Veteran
Phoenix
I used to swim a lot in my teens (not competitively, just in my backyard pool), and I always enjoyed biking, although I hadn't done that since I was 10.

I joined the Army and had a really hard time running. I didn't understand why it was so hard, since I was in somewhat decent shape at the time. When I got out I kept doing it, thinking it would get easier. I decided to register for a half-marathon to "motivate" myself (I'm stupid, should have started out with shorter distance), and finished it (very sore the next day).

Despite the intense pain, I decided to keep doing half-marathons until they were no longer painful. I've done a bunch of them now (no pain involved), along with 2 full marathons. Then one day I just happened to come across something called "Ironman" on TV. I watched it and thought it was really cool! I thought it would be a great way to put swimming back into my life, and cycling too. I started with a sprint, and that was my first OW swim. I totally panicked and it was awful! After that first tri, I was referred to this awesome group of people who do OW swims on Thursdays.

I've now done 1 sprint, 4 olympic, and will be doing my first half IM in October. I still get kind of nervous with all the people in the water with me, but nowhere near as freaked out as my first one!

2008-09-05 12:58 AM

Champion

I've been cycling since 1975, so I had a real good background there.  I'd seen the Ironman on TV, but thought that was the only triathlon.  I never knew there were shorter and more local events.  Then one day I stumbled upon a series of articles written by a Canadian woman named Alison Colavecchia and her quest to become an Ironman.  I was hugely intrigued, so much so that I emailed her for inspiration and then later on went to Lake Placid NY to cheer her on.  Reading of her trials and tribulations and then watching her become an Ironman was extremely motivating and I decided on the spot to do the same thing.  She inspired me so much that I named my bicycle "Alison" after her.  We've kept in touch via email over the past 5 years.  Now, 3 Ironman races later, I have her to thank for starting it all.

If you're interested, her series of articles can be found here: 

http://www.slowtwitch.com/mainheadings/beginner/alison.html

Start at the bottom of the list, as you'll see they are dated back to December 2000.

Edited by max 2008-09-05 12:58 AM
2008-09-05 7:18 PM

Master
Peoria, AZ (Near Lake Pleasant)
I agree with javamom!  These stories are great!  Keep them coming, would like to hear more from our Tucson crowd!
2008-09-05 7:48 PM
in reply to: #1654202

Edited by Zilla 2008-09-05 7:49 PM
2008-09-05 11:54 PM

Extreme Veteran
AZ
In July 2004 after a vacation to San Diego, I had a voice mail from my doctor waiting for me  when I got home to call her immediately.    I had just had a physical that included some lab work.  My lab results came back with a 300+ cholesterol.  My doctor told me to start exercising and quit eating out.  I joined Weight Watchers on-line to monitor my eating and started bringing my lunch to work every day.  I also started walking.  I walked my first half-marathon that year in December 2004.  I lost 26 pounds.  I felt that walking was too slow so I started running, and decided I wanted to run my next half-marathon. I joined a half-marathon training group and some of the folks in my running group said they also did triathlons.  I was intrigued, but thought that was something I could never even consider doing.  Well, after running the half-marathon in 2:03, I felt I had conquered that goal and decided to start triathlon.  In January 2006 I joined the Tucson Tri Girls and never looked back.   I have been able to keep my cholesterol under 200 now and feel fantastic.  I gotta tell you, when you have to lose weight for health reasons instead of vanity reasons, you are a lot more motivated.   That's my story....
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » How did you get into triathlon? Rss Feed  

of 2