General Discussion Triathlon Talk » New Running Shoes - Blisters? Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2008-09-05 2:09 PM

User image

Regular
BA, Oklahoma
Subject: New Running Shoes - Blisters?

I got new running shoes last week.  Got them from a specialty running store, was fitted, etc, etc.  I ran twice in them for only 1.5m each time last week.  No problems.

Yesterday I ran 3m in them, and around mile 2, my two toes next to my big toe started feeling a little hot (only on my left foot).  Sure enough, when I got back , those two toes started getting blisters on the tips of the toes (not the bottom).  (Side note:  my toe next to my big toe is the longest one on my foot.)

I have a few questions here:

1)  How should I treat this injury?  How long should I wait to run again?

2)  Should I be worried about my new shoes, or is this part of the "breaking in" process?  Will my toes eventually "toughen up" and/or will my shoes conform more to my shape over time?

3)  In the future, should I wear a thicker sock maybe to prevent this?

Thanks for your help.

-Todd

2008-09-05 9:49 PM
in reply to: #1653353

User image

Expert
Kansas City, MO
Subject: RE: New Running Shoes - Blisters?

While it's not "normal" to blister when breaking in new shoes, it can happen.  I worked a specialty running store for a couple years and our recommendation was always to run a couple more times in them and see if it gets better or not.  You might also try a different thickness of sock.  Sometimes a slightly thicker sock can help.  You might want to check the inside of the shoe where you blistered and see if there is a seam or a rough spot there.  If so, that might be the cause.

As for treating a blister, there are some great products available such as blist-o-ban and such, but I usually just put a band aid on it and go.  

2008-09-06 1:28 AM

User image

Expert
Denver, Colorado
1) Blisters are painful during the run, but no big deal to treat afterward. Just take a safety pin off of one of your favorite bib numbers, sterilize it (and your foot skin) with alcohol and stab that blister. Drain all the nasty fluids out and you won't even know you had a blister there. When I have two races in one day, I kill all my blisters from the morning race and they don't hurt at all by the time I do the evening race.

2) I think it's part of the breaking on process--for your feet. The shoe has new pressure points, but once your blisters heal the skin there will be callused and tougher. I always develop blisters when I first run in new shoes, but after they heal (or I kill them), I have no more problems. Blisters are a rite of passage.

3) I don't know anything about socks.
2008-09-06 3:06 PM

User image

Master

Assuming that you aren't using cotton socks (which invite blisters), it could easily be the shoes.  

I don't think you should have to break in new running shoes.  When I buy a new pair, I wear them home and they are good to go for a long run the next day.

That said, try a different pair of socks and see if they blister again.  If yes, I'd switch shoes - take them back to the store and explain the problem, they should help you find another pair that works better for you.

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » New Running Shoes - Blisters? Rss Feed