General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Prairieman Family Activities? Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2008-09-05 9:49 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Lewisville
Subject: Prairieman Family Activities?
I'd like for the wife and 3 kids to come for the HIM, but I haven't heard if this is a family friendly race. I don't want the kids hanging out for a couple hours if there's really nothing to do. They will go nuts... especially in the 90+ degree heat. Anyone done this in the past and had family (especial kids) present?

2008-09-05 10:02 PM
in reply to: #1654444

User image

Champion
Butler
Subject: RE: Prairieman Family Activities?
I did it last year and did not have my wife come.  The problem is the park closes down and no cars can enter or leave after a certain point.  So either the family gets there early or walks the 1.5 miles from outside the park.  Once inside it is your basic park.  Not a lot going on.  If you think they might get bored I probably wouldn't have them come unless you need the moral support.  I would have liked my family there but did not want to put them through it especially with a little one.
2008-09-05 10:08 PM

Subject: ...
This user's post has been ignored.
2008-09-05 10:09 PM

Veteran
I have not done Prairieman before but I have done several Ironhead races.  This is not one that I would encourage my family to come too just because of the 1- traffic not allowed in the park at 6:15am,  2- heat   3- not much going on for them to do.  Just my opinion though!!!
2008-09-06 12:25 AM
in reply to: #1654466

Champion
the colony texas
well I might go there to watch and cheer people on.. I'm pretty darn entertaining, and very "G" rated...  
so yes leave the family at home 
2008-09-06 5:55 AM

Champion
Butler
They could always follow Jack around and watch him yell at everyone.  That could be pretty entertaining.

2008-09-06 1:19 PM

Extreme Veteran
Lewisville
Thanks all for the advice... I didn't think this was a fun one for the family, but I wanted to check just in case. My kids have handled my sprints in the past, but those are done so quickly that they don't have enough time to bug my wife to death. I'll keep them home for this one.
2008-09-07 3:04 PM
in reply to: #1654788

Denver

kproudfoot - 2008-09-06 5:55 AM They could always follow Jack around and watch him yell at everyone.  That could be pretty entertaining.

Yeah whats up with that? Why is this guy so damn angry? Today was the first time I ever did this race and while the race itself was fun, the atmosphere was not. Jack came off like an @$$hole who didnt give a sh*& about anyone, and all the race officials were walking around griping and yelling at everyone. You would of thought everyone was putting them out by being out there at THEIR race. Nonetheless, I will never do one of his races again.

2008-09-07 3:37 PM
in reply to: #1656446

Regular
Arlington, TX
I'm with you on this point. I've done 2 races by Ironhead now, and this guy has been a jerk both times. In fact, I think he is getting worse. I have had it with this race production company, and will not do another one of their races. The races cost far too much now to be treated like a child by an arrogant a-hole. There are lots of races in the area, so I'll take my business elsewhere.

ousooner, I don't know what races you have done, but if you want an example of a fun, well-produced race with a director who caters to the athletes... then do one of the Endorfun races put on by Keith. That's how they should all be.

2008-09-07 7:12 PM

Champion
Butler

I have done 4 IRP races and will keep doing them. They are run well and Jack does put on good races.  From what I have heard he is actually getting nicer...

Last year I actually got yelled at for being early.  I was in the park at 4:45 I think and he reminded me to read the rules that transition did not open until 5:00.  I wanted to say I was not trying  to get into transition yet, just park my car and make sure I made it on time.  But I just let it go.

2008-09-07 7:28 PM
in reply to: #1656839

2008-09-07 8:11 PM
in reply to: #1656869

Extreme Veteran
Lewisville
All I can say is one word "BRUTAL". The dam was like a never ending escalator. No shade at all. Torture... I'm definitely looking for a different one next year.
2008-09-07 10:36 PM

Extreme Veteran
Plano,TX
People can say what they want about Jack, but I will continue to do his races as well. Some people take his personality as rude or mean but JeepFleeb is right in that most of these qualities are good in a race director.

His races are always well run and very safe and generally go off without a hitch. There is always tons of support and fluids available and food at the finish line.

Most of his races are just as cheap as all the others in the metroplex with the Half being a bit more, but that is just like all other halves. As well he puts on several kids races which is awesome for the kids and the sport.

I think Jack is more concerned about putting on a good, safe event for the competitors than a fun event for the spectators, and he does that just fine.

2008-09-08 9:11 AM

Champion
Know the rules and follow them, and Jack doesn't yell at you.
2008-09-08 10:18 AM

Expert
Wylie, TX
I agree that Jack is more focused on putting on a "competitor's" race, and not a "spectator's" race. They are always very well organized, and very safe. His famous pre-race speeches always make sure everyone knows the course and the rules. He seems genuinely concerned with making sure everyone from newbies to veterans are safe. Sure, he comes off very heavy handed sometimes, but that is just his military background coming through.

Yeah, the races are probably boring for spectators, but I know my mom and fiance never have problems keeping themselves entertained. I can definitely see how this could be a problem with kids, however. Keeping children entertained that long is nigh impossible.

After experiencing the mess that Playtri put on back in April, I will continue to stick with Ironhead and Dallas Athletes races.
2008-09-09 8:56 PM
in reply to: #1657640

Denver

DerekL - 2008-09-08 9:11 AM Know the rules and follow them, and Jack doesn't yell at you.

He was yelling before the race even started and before anyone even had a chance to break any rules, just FYI.

2008-09-10 7:10 AM

New user

Excuse me, but I think you are talking about Jack's crew of volunteers, not the race officials.

My husband and I are both USAT officials (he was working PrairieMan) and we are instructed to offer only rules clarification and enforcement at races we are working. I doubt any of the officials at the race were  "walking around griping and yelling at everyone"...........now, Jack's main guys? Your assessment seems pretty true to form.

However, I try to take the crankiness as part of the process of getting EVERYONE to follow the rules and provide a safe, fair race for every competitor. Sometimes that's what it seems to take.

I've done and worked a lot of races and it never ceases to amaze me how irresponsible, uneducated and self-absorbed the athletes can be. Seems to me it could be that the crankiness and lack of patience is the result of dealing with triathletes race after race? Surprised

G

2008-09-10 7:43 AM

Elite
Hurst, Texas

I would personally much rather see a race director who makes darn sure that everything is done correctly, and in the safest manner possible (i.e., Jack) than see triathletes' safet jeopardized due to a race director who doesn't want to run a tight ship.

As Derek said, if you follow the rules and pay attention, Jack won't yell at you.  He'll "bark out" his pre-race speech, which I guess some people would consider yelling, but it is done for safety and to make sure everyone knows what is going on. 

To me, knowing that I am safe and in a well-organized event is far more important than it feeling like a party.

2008-09-10 8:10 AM
in reply to: #1656869

Champion
Butler
JeepFleeb - 2008-09-07 7:28 PM

kproudfoot - 2008-09-07 7:12 PM
Last year.....  But I just let it go.

Considering that he was nearly killed in a bike wreck the week before and when he went to the hospital they discovered a life threatening medical condition, we can cut him some slack for that one.

Jack is Jack.  He's strict and direct and it often comes off as mean.  Some of it is good in a race director, but he's also career military and an old man so there's not much patience or understanding for people who don't already know the rules.

However, today's race was a little absurd.  8.5 hours until awards even start and all I get for winning the aquabike is a leftover mug from a previous year (which says '13.1 mile run' on it)?!?  Cheap and 5 hours of my life wasted.  Otherwise it was a good race.

Definately understand he had major life issues goin on last year.  I will continue to do his races because they are cheap, you get good gear and they are well run.  My only complaint last year.  Had I not  done his races before and have an understanding of the way he generally is I probably would have said something but since I knew what happened and the other things you mention (old, military, etc).  I just let it go.  My thing was I got to the gate outside the park about 20 minutes early.  The gate was locked.  Mr Police officer pulled up and opened the gate for me and told me to go in.  I was simply heading for parking when Jack stopped me on his little cart and told me to follow direction and that transition did not open for 15 minutes.  My comment woudl have been "I understand transition does not open, I am simply trying to park and you never gave me a time when the parking lot opened.  Sorry I was trying to be early and no show up late".

I do find his prerace speech commicial though.

2008-09-11 9:36 PM

Denver
Dont mean to hi-jack the thread but does anyone know if the race pictures are posted yet, and if so where?? I cant find a link anywhere? Thanks!
2008-09-11 9:38 PM
in reply to: #1669366

2008-09-12 10:17 AM

Regular
Allen, TX ( Basically North of Dallas)
Jack is just fine.  He puts on a safe well run race.  If you pay attention and do what you are supposed to do then it is no problem.  I will do Ironhead races as long as he will put them on.  I do agree that the awards for Prairieman were really bad.  My friend drove in from out of town and took 1st in his AG and all he got was a Big Mug just like the one I got 2 years ago for just finishing.  Except his said 1st place. 
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Prairieman Family Activities? Rss Feed