General Discussion Triathlon Talk » was I wrong? Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 2

2008-09-07 10:56 AM

User image

Master
Lexington, Kentucky
Subject: was I wrong?

During my training ride today, I was waiting at a traffic light. It was early and there weren't many cars. Another cyclist came up and rode through the red light. I caught up to him after the light changed and came alongside and said - "You give cyclists a bad reputation when you run red lights like that." He just gave me a blank look - I don't think he could hear me over his I-pod.

Should I have minded my own business?

2008-09-07 10:59 AM
in reply to: #1656187

User image

Elite
Hurst, Texas
Subject: RE: was I wrong?
Nope; I'm glad you did it.  We have a hard enough time getting people to share the road and be courteous to us, so it doesn't help when cyclists blatantly disobey the law.  Thanks for speaking up.

Edited by OldAg92 2008-09-07 11:00 AM
2008-09-07 11:02 AM

User image

Elite
DC Metro, slowly working my way to NC
Not wrong at all to speak up - the more of us that are actually making an effort to ride while obeying the traffic laws, the better.
2008-09-07 11:04 AM
in reply to: #1656190

Champion
South Jersey
Nope, it's good to inform them. If they look mean, however, just let them go.
2008-09-07 11:04 AM
in reply to: #1656188

User image

Cycling Guru
Fulton, MD

Were there any cars that were coming, or even close to the light, or was it just you waiting at it?

Because in my opinion it has nothing to do with giving cyclists a bad name, especially if no one was there to see it but you, especially since some lights work off of the sensor pads and cyclists are not enough weight to trigger it.  If he was blatantly putting himself and others at risk that is whole different topic.

For myself, you would come across as being out of line if you said that in a similar situation to me, and while I wouldn't be rude about it, if you started riding with me I'd drop you like a sack of potato's ...... Perhaps a "We should be following the rules of the road, so be careful out there" would have been a more appropriate response if you really felt like you had to voice your opinion.  I stop at all lights and if I encountered the same thing I probably would have just shook my head and forgot about it.  You aren't going to change the way the guy rides, it is his choice.

Edited by Daremo 2008-09-07 11:06 AM
2008-09-07 11:20 AM
in reply to: #1656193

User image

Master
Lexington, Kentucky

FWIW - this was not a situation where there were no cars anywhere and no way to trip the light. I have myself treated a red light as a stop sign in situations such as that.

This was at an intersection of two busy roads - it was early on Sunday so there were only about a half dozen cars waiting at the light.

It seems that it is the people on cruiser bikes or mountain bikes with headphones that I see slipping red lights.

2008-09-07 11:23 AM

User image

Pro
Tejas
 I'll blow through a light/stop sign if no traffic is around. Wearing an ipod while riding in an area with traffic..... I don't think it's very wise. You're not going to change a guy's opinion or riding habits by botching him out during a ride either. Let it go. The motorists that saw you waiting and saw him blow the light, I think they can figure it out for themselves that not all cyclists are the same. Those that can't see the difference, are most likely just like the guy who blew the light.
2008-09-07 11:27 AM

User image

Expert
Simi Valley
I commend the choice.  At the very least, you showed you cared enough about the cycling community (and in a backwards way the rider) to speak up and at least plant the seed to consider. 
2008-09-07 11:27 AM
in reply to: #1656205

Champion
South Jersey

I do go through redlights if I am the only one and can't trip the sensor.

Typically, the people on cruisers and mountain bikes are the ones that don't understand the rules of the road and don't recognize that their bike is a vehicle. They're the same people you see on the sidewalks and on the wrong side of the road. (Whenever I see someone riding on the wrong side of the road, I make sure to tell them.)

Two weeks ago, I went for a ride with a friend of mine who has a hybrid and has been dying to ride with me. We came up to a light where we were turning left. She had been behind me as we approached the light. I moved towards the left of the lane to stop at the light, and the next thing I know, she's on the other side of the road. She had just crossed to the wrong side of the road since it was clear for a moment, so that she could turn left on the "wrong" side to avoid having to cross the street in the intersection. Then once she got around the corner, she rode on the wrong side until the traffic was cleared, then she crossed back over the the right side. I gave her a little lesson in riding rules once I caught up to her (I was sitting at the light and then had to wait for the oncoming traffic to pass before I could turn left).

2008-09-07 11:29 AM
in reply to: #1656212

Champion
South Jersey
And for those who say you're not going to change the guy's riding habits...honestly, some people just don't know or realize what their responsibilities are when you're on a bike. Yeah, some people you can't change, but others, you can inform and they will change. It just depends on the person and the situation. It worked for my friend, she had no idea. But if you guys were sitting at the light in a car and watched this, you could just assume that's how she rides and you can't change her when one comment could have alerted her to something she didn't realize she was doing wrong.

Edited by LaurenSU02 2008-09-07 11:30 AM
2008-09-07 11:41 AM

User image

Champion
Carlsbad, California

I think you were right to stop at the light but more often than not, trying to get another cyclist to "Obey The Law" is probably a lost cause.

We are all invisible even under the best of circumstances and breaking the traffic laws just makes a precarious situation all that much worse. "It is not the Car that you See that is gonna get you"

Sore subject with me as I currently have 3 team mates who are on the DL after being hit by cars. (And they were all obeying the traffic laws) On of them is off the bike for 12 months and will be sitting out Kona this year

2008-09-07 12:12 PM

User image

Elite
Athens, Georgia
I am a Police Officer in Florida and when I have the time and see a blatant violation I often stop the rider, while on duty, to inform them of the traffic laws. Often times it is just ignorance of the laws and the information goes a long way. For seasoned riders road bikes they are usually just going to continue riding the way they always do as soon as I cut them loose.

I often see a guy in the area and he is almost always cutting across the highway just a block down from an intersection with a traffic signal. Both times I have seen him cross he has had people slamming on brakes because they don't know which way his is going to go.

Finally I saw him blow two red lights in a row while I was working. I stopped him to inform him and to be quite honest chastise him a bit for the bad image he gives us riders. The following is the basics of our conversation.

Me: I stopped you about the traffic signal back there. Did you know that cyclists also have to stop for red signals?
Him: I can't believe it!
Me: Well it's true. You have to obey traffic signals....
Him (cutting me off mid sentence)NO I CAN'T BELIEVE THAT YOU ARE WASTING MY TAX DOLLARS AND MY TIME BY STOPPING ME OVER RUNNING A RED LIGHT ON MY BIKE!!!**yelling**
Me: Oh. I am sorry. But rest assured that the two citations that are a little over $200.00 a piece here in Florida will more than cover my salary for the 10 minutes it is going to take me to fill them out. I will be right back with you.

Am I going to change the way he rides. Probably not but I bet he will look over his shoulder before he runs a red light again. It seems that I end up seeing him on the bike trail now all the time, each time wondering if he recognizes me.

2008-09-07 12:51 PM
in reply to: #1656251

User image

Master
Sachse
triguynewbie - 2008-09-07 12:12 PM

Me: I stopped you about the traffic signal back there. Did you know that cyclists also have to stop for red signals?
Him (cutting me off mid sentence)NO I CAN'T BELIEVE THAT YOU ARE WASTING MY TAX DOLLARS AND MY TIME BY STOPPING ME OVER RUNNING A RED LIGHT ON MY BIKE!!!**yelling**
Me: Oh. I am sorry. But rest assured that the two citations that are a little over $200.00 a piece here in Florida will more than cover my salary for the 10 minutes it is going to take me to fill them out. I will be right back with you.

Nice!!! I don't know how you guys / gals do it.. I have too much of a temper.. I would have also added something like..

Me - "Plus, you are the 4th cyclist I have pulled over today. That comes out to be 5 tickets, before lunch!"

Him - "Why are you so happy about that?"

Me - "I only needed 2 more tickets to get my new aero helmet! Now I can trade them in and get the helmet and a transition bag! Enjoy the rest of your ride."

----- To the OP. I am not sure that I would have approached him, for the exact same type of reaction triguynewbie received. If the guy is an @$$ enough to yell at a police officer, there is no telling what he would do to someone out of uniform. So...you could be chasing someone down, jut to get in a fight.

Kenny

Edited by Ten9T6 2008-09-07 12:57 PM
2008-09-07 1:47 PM

User image

Pro
the Alabama part of Pennsylvania

triguynewbie - 2008-09-07 1:12 PM 

Me: Oh. I am sorry. But rest assured that the two citations that are a little over $200.00 a piece here in Florida will more than cover my salary for the 10 minutes it is going to take me to fill them out. I will be right back with you

That is a great line! Do all cops use that one? The couple of times I've been stopped (in my car) I knew enough not to pi$$ off the man in the uniform with the gun and the authority to put handcuffs on me. So I have generally not tried to pull the "Why aren't you chasing bad guys" garbage.

2008-09-07 1:52 PM
in reply to: #1656193

User image

Regular
The Land of Misfit Toys
Daremo - 2008-09-07 11:04 AM

Perhaps a "We should be following the rules of the road, so be careful out there" would have been a more appropriate response if you really felt like you had to voice your opinion.  I stop at all lights and if I encountered the same thing I probably would have just shook my head and forgot about it.  You aren't going to change the way the guy rides, it is his choice.

I agree with Rick's suggestion of approaching it here. It is unfortunate that we aren't going to change the way that most people ride, but we do need to be a self-policing community. I have thought about this a lot recently as my wife has recently entered the cycling world, and I don't like the idea of some angry motorist running her off the road for someone else's actions. Maybe make a quick friendly reminder and then just let it go from there because that's all we can really do.

2008-09-07 3:13 PM

Extreme Veteran
Western, Mass
Bronze member
I commend you, and thank you. My main ride is carbon, so there is not enough metal, for the sensor to pick up. Most sensors are electrical, not mechanical. they read an annomoly(sp) in the generated magnetic field.

I have rolled through stop signs, when there was no traffic, because I am less likly to fall if I am moving, but i stop at red traffic lights, 100%

Kevin

2008-09-07 3:16 PM

Extreme Veteran
Western, Mass
Bronze member
triguynewbie - 2008-09-07 1:12 PM

I am a Police Officer in Florida and when I have the time and see a blatant violation I often stop the rider, while on duty, to inform them of the traffic laws. Often times it is just ignorance of the laws and the information goes a long way. For seasoned riders road bikes they are usually just going to continue riding the way they always do as soon as I cut them loose.

I often see a guy in the area and he is almost always cutting across the highway just a block down from an intersection with a traffic signal. Both times I have seen him cross he has had people slamming on brakes because they don't know which way his is going to go.

Finally I saw him blow two red lights in a row while I was working. I stopped him to inform him and to be quite honest chastise him a bit for the bad image he gives us riders. The following is the basics of our conversation.

Am I going to change the way he rides. Probably not but I bet he will look over his shoulder before he runs a red light again. It seems that I end up seeing him on the bike trail now all the time, each time wondering if he recognizes me.

ROFL
2008-09-07 4:38 PM

User image

Champion
Checkin' out the podium girls
Whenever I see a cyclist passing the other direction, I either wave or tap my helmet depending on what they're wearing or not. I had one F-bomb yelled back at me, but at least I let them know that someone thinks it's important. I might not change the world, but making someone think might be a positive?
2008-09-07 5:27 PM

Subject: ...
This user's post has been ignored.

Edited by betsy 2008-09-07 5:30 PM
2008-09-08 8:53 AM

Master
Sacramento, California

Personally I commend you!

I was nearly run over by a biker while on my run this weekend who decided that stop signs did not apply to him, nor did he have to pay attention to those around him.

Oh and BTW it was not like I was on the curb and went ahead and went expecting him to stop...when I entered the intersection he was 50-60 feet from the stop sign...I did not totally expect him to stop but I did expect him to realize that he was approaching and intersection and notice those around him...I mean I was wearing bright green not something that is difficult to see.  I had entered the intersection first and was nearly across the street but directly in his path as he reached the intersection.  Luckily it was early enough in my run that I still had the energy to sprint out of his way or it could have been nasty. 

We all need to be careful and follow the "rules"  when we are riding.  I too have rolled through a stop sign (but I do usually slow down), I have gone through a red light (rarely) when there is no one around, but the issue is realizing that you are responsible for your actions and need to be aware and respect those around you whether it be a car or a pedestrian.

2008-09-08 8:59 AM

Champion
Dallas, TX
tim_edwards - 2008-09-07 10:56 AM

During my training ride today, I was waiting at a traffic light. It was early and there weren't many cars. Another cyclist came up and rode through the red light. I caught up to him after the light changed and came alongside and said - "You give cyclists a bad reputation when you run red lights like that." He just gave me a blank look - I don't think he could hear me over his I-pod.

Well, I am sure I will get blasted for this... but if there were NO CARS around... and he ran the red light after slowing down to make sure no cars were around... then I don't think what he did was all that bad.

Many lights won't change without a car being at them. So, it's very possible that you will sit at a red light forever... never to change. In scenarios such as this with no cars around, running the red light isn't all that bad.

2008-09-08 9:14 AM
in reply to: #1657619

Veteran
Columbus, Ohio
KSH - 2008-09-08 9:59 AM

tim_edwards - 2008-09-07 10:56 AM

During my training ride today, I was waiting at a traffic light. It was early and there weren't many cars. Another cyclist came up and rode through the red light. I caught up to him after the light changed and came alongside and said - "You give cyclists a bad reputation when you run red lights like that." He just gave me a blank look - I don't think he could hear me over his I-pod.

Well, I am sure I will get blasted for this... but if there were NO CARS around... and he ran the red light after slowing down to make sure no cars were around... then I don't think what he did was all that bad.

Many lights won't change without a car being at them. So, it's very possible that you will sit at a red light forever... never to change. In scenarios such as this with no cars around, running the red light isn't all that bad.

Mucho agreeo!
2008-09-08 9:20 AM
in reply to: #1657619

Subject: ...
This user's post has been ignored.
2008-09-08 9:40 AM

Champion
Checkin' out the podium girls
I was on a group ride one morning. Scott takes off from the group sprinting to a light which was obviously red and usually is (default red for our direction). He gets to the intersection, hits the walk button and lo and behold, when the group gets to the intersection, the light turns green for us.

If you really want to comply with the no signal to trip the light, you can use the walk button to force the light.
2008-09-08 9:57 AM

Expert
Muncie, IN
A good number of lights where I live won't change at all until the sensors in the road pick up the car. So, I usually do slow way down or briefly stop but you'd be sitting a while at some intersections. It sounds like the guy is asking for it though...not stopping/slowing and wearing an Ipod???
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » was I wrong? Rss Feed  

of 2