General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Running knee pain is frustrating!! Questions inside Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2008-09-07 7:26 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Webster, Ma
Subject: Running knee pain is frustrating!! Questions inside

I have been cycling for a few years now, and this summer got into tri's, never had an injury from cycling or swimming before, and just recently had my first one from running.

I have been gradually increasing my distances and speed since may/june, I have come to really enjoy running, and completed my longest run to date on labor day (11 miles) I felt really good through the whole run, ended it with a great sprint and felt like I could have kept going.

After showering and stuff I had to spend an hour and a half in the car round trip to the girlfriends school and back, and out of the car my knee felt really tight, swollen, and sharp pain at the top of and just above my kneecap. I took tues-thurs off from everything just to stretch and rest it, then rode a light 20 miles fri, followed by stretch and ice, 13 fast miles sun on the tri bike and tried to do a brick, made it out of the driveway on the run and my knee started to hurt again so I went back inside.

I am looking for some ideas/suggestions how to deal with this. It doesnt bother me on the bike and feels ok walking but as soon as I begin to run it hurts quite a bit.

Thanks in advance!!

2008-09-07 7:47 PM
in reply to: #1656865

User image

Expert
Ontario
Subject: RE: Running knee pain is frustrating!! Questions inside

I have 2 thoughts on this:

#1.  If you've only been running since May (~4 months total) then an 11 mile long run may represent too quickly increasing your mileage. (hard to tell with your empty logs).  In this case take a few days off running then reduce the distance of your long runs (and your total mileage) and build your mileage up slowly.

#2.  Your shoes.  Knee pain for me is often a sign that my shoes need replacing.  Make sure you are wearing the proper shoes, get fitted at a reputable running store.

Edited by cathyd 2008-09-07 7:48 PM
2008-09-07 8:58 PM
in reply to: #1656901

User image

Extreme Veteran
Webster, Ma

Thanks for the input! I was running 3-4 times a week mixing in 5k's, 5 miles, and bricks (bike 12-20miles run 3-4 miles) from May on.

Then in the month of August I realized I wanted to do a half marathon in Oct so I did once long run a week, mixed in with my usual runs, bike, and swim workouts.

Week 1: 7 miles 

Week 2: 8 miles

Week 3: 10 miles

Week 4: 11 miles

So knowing what I know now I do think that I stepped up my distance too quickly. Ironically I was thinking about injuries about 1 mile into the 11 mile run and figured I was young and in shape and it wouldn't happen to me (wrong) also I rode my bike 52 miles the day before in a group ride.

I am running in a pair of Nike Shox with 150 or more miles on them, and I am going to bring them to the local running shop with me and have them check my foot position and everything and see what they recommend. I would be extremely happy if a new pair of shoes could correct my problem as it is very frustrating!!

2008-09-07 9:02 PM

User image

Expert
Traverse Cityish
Rest it, ice it, stretch it and work on strengthening those knees.

What type of surface do you run on? Concrete is killer, I have knee issues to this day from both ramping up too quickly and running on concrete too much.

BTW, I've hard a lot of people say that Shox don't cushion enough for running, but that was a couple years back so they may have gotten better.
2008-09-07 10:04 PM

Extreme Veteran
I was having some similar knee issues a few years back.  There were a couple things that helped but overall probably a daily stretching session (focusing on the hamstrings) made the most difference.  I also eventually got personally fitted for a pair of running shoes.  I heard running in shoes that don't fit your foot type can be seriously detrimental!  Also some ice and rest never hurt either!! Hope this helps
2008-09-07 10:30 PM

Expert
Ditto on the shoes. Virtually every knee problem I've had has been solved by the simple solution of replacing or upgrading my running shoes. (knock on wood). Now, I know my day will come when I have a more serious knee issue, but it is a wonder how much of a difference shoes make.

I have also found that running after cycling usually feels better on my knees. Perhaps it is that cycling, if even for a short time, is the perfect warm-up to running.

2008-09-08 4:24 AM

User image

Master
The Whites, New Hampshire
staylor36 - 2008-09-07 8:26 PM

• ..my knee felt really tight, swollen, and sharp pain at the top of and just above my kneecap.

• First: I am not a doctor, I am not an AT, I don't even have my EMT yet. But I am plagued by constant injury.

Now: it sounds like it could potentially maybe possibly sorta be a bit similar to (get my drift?) patella-femoral syndrome/tendonitis (chrondromalacia). It is an inflammation of the patella and femoral tendons that go over the top of your kneecap. Hmm, that is uber-simplified, I hope I said that right. Anywho, there are lots of strengthening exercises, look it up online. I'd get thee to a doctor or AT soon, though, to see if that truly is what it is, or if there is something else.

Here's the thing about that icky little problem - you have to push through the pain in order for it to get better. However, mine hurt on the bike, too, so the solution was to bike extremely slowly through some wicked pain until it got better. I did that totally under the supervision of an AT, though, I would NOT recommend ever pushing through an injury without such supervision. In fact, the look I gave the AT when she told me to do it was some version of "WTF???" and "You have GOT to be kidding" combined. But it worked. *shrugged* As I said, though, do NOT do that without consulting Someone With Knowledge of Such Things first.

The BEST part about it is that the strengthening exercises work (DO THEM!!!) and you can come back from it relatively quickly (relative to other knee issues) by going back and rebuilding along with your strengthening exercises.

Oh, and check your shoes.
    2008-09-08 5:57 AM

User image

Tyler,
    Though you say you were increasing gradually, you don't increase speed and distance at the same time. 
    2008-09-08 8:31 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
    Webster, Ma

Thanks for the replies!! I went today to the local running store and tried on a good set of running shoes (which felt great) and I think I will be picking up a set very soon.

On a good note I did a slow pace 40 mile bike today with a friend with little to no discomfort in the knee (ocasionally felt strange when out of the saddle climbing hills) and felt fine after.

So I will take all of your suggestions into consideration, and hopefully some stretching, cutting back on distance, ice, and strengthening exercises along with a new set of shoes will do the trick. I will keep you updated.

Thanks everyone!

2008-09-09 6:03 PM
    in reply to: #1659922

User image

Expert
    Fort Wayne, IN
    Elliptical training is very good for chondromalacia.  Strengthening the quadriceps helps the knee track better.  Elliptical training worked very well for me.
    2008-09-09 6:25 PM

User image

Master
    Portland, Oregon

Another thing that can cause knee pain is your IT Band. This is a band of fibrous tissue that connects at the top of your hip down along the outside of your thigh to your knee. When it is tight at any place along there, the tightness can manifest as knee pain. This is because the tightness pulls the knee out of position slightly. It is usually caused by running, especially increasing distance. If it keeps getting tighter and tighter, then sometimes it hurts to even walk.

You can work on loosening it up by using a foam roller along the outside of your thigh, on your butt, and upper glute. Here's a sheet with pics of what I mean. It is difficult to describe. Scroll to page 2, second and third picture.

The roller is available lots of places, not just online. I use mine all the time. When I first used it, it hurt like rubbing sore muscles too hard. That's the tightness "talking" - Once you get the tightness out, it feels pretty good and rolling feels like a nice deep massage.

It can't hurt to try the roller remedy - it won't do any damage.  If you'd like another opinion, talk to livestrong. He used it with great success early this year. He was almost unable to run at all and thought he might need knee surgery.

http://www.beginnertriathlete.com/discussion/training/index-weekly.asp?memberid=74107

New Thread
    General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Running knee pain is frustrating!! Questions inside Rss Feed