General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Did I buy the wrong shoes? Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2008-09-09 4:16 PM

Subject: Did I buy the wrong shoes?
I went to a running store yesterday with the intent of buying my first pair of really good shoes.  I have very high arches and I supinate a bit.  After looking at my foot the salesperson brought a few pairs out and I liked the Saucony's the best (I always do).  Anyway, I looked the shoe up online later and it's listed as a "stablity" shoe for overpronator's.  I don't know enough about the different kinds of shoes to know if this is a bad idea but everything online said I should be in a neutral shoe.  So.......return and ask for something else or trust the salesperson? 

2008-09-09 4:21 PM
in reply to: #1662203

Subject: RE: Did I buy the wrong shoes?

rexcoltrain - 2008-09-09 5:16 PM I went to a running store yesterday with the intent of buying my first pair of really good shoes.  I have very high arches and I supinate a bit.  After looking at my foot the salesperson brought a few pairs out and I liked the Saucony's the best (I always do).  Anyway, I looked the shoe up online later and it's listed as a "stablity" shoe for overpronator's.  I don't know enough about the different kinds of shoes to know if this is a bad idea but everything online said I should be in a neutral shoe.  So.......return and ask for something else or trust the salesperson? 

I have high arches as well, and supinate too - I have an neutral shoe. Maybe go back and just ask a different salesperson? My local running store (well, the closest one to me - this is DC, so I have a lot of options) seems to have a mix of people who really know what they're talking about and folks who just needed a part time job.

Not an expert or long-time runner. But I see posts on here all the time that are stressing how a good shoe fit is important. Always good to double-check I suppose, rather than develop injuries down the road.

Just don't wear them outside yet, in case the store won't let you return them if you do.

Edited by wurkit_gurl 2008-09-09 4:24 PM
2008-09-09 4:27 PM

User image

Champion
Carlsbad, California
Not sure for sure which model of Saucony they sold you but if it is the Progrid "Guide" version, there is also a "Ride" version which is a Neutral Trainer.

You can easily tell the difference between the two shoes because one will have Grey rubber in the midsole (stability) and the other will have white Rubber in the Midsole. (The Neutral)

Either way, all the stability shoe is doing over the neutral shoe is, well, providing a bit more stability. I normally run in Neutral Trainers but have switched to Stability when I was recovering from injury. (I Supinate and have high arches also)

You should be able to take it back to the LRS and get it exchanged for the right shoe
2008-09-09 4:39 PM

User image

Master
Virginia Beach, VA
If you have a fairly neutral foot with a high arch the stability shoe may be too much control for you. I have the same foot type and accidently bought a stability shoe and developed some blisters while wearing the shoe. Part of it depends also on how flexible or rigid your foot is; a more rigid foot will not like that type of control.
2008-09-09 5:30 PM

User image

Expert
Berkeley, Calif.
I have high arches and don't overpronate at all, but I wear a stability shoe (Asics Kayano) because it also happens to have lots of cushion, which is what I need the most. The extra stability doesn't seem to be causing me any problems. I got fit at a good LRS, tried on many pairs of shoes, and the Kayanos felt the best. I've been using them for more than a year now (not the same pair, obviously).

Anyway, it's still worth talking to someone at the LRS if you have concerns, just thought I'd jump in and say that sometimes the labeled specs of a shoe don't matter -- you should go by what feels best.
2008-09-09 6:20 PM

User image

Elite
Armpit of Ontario

I learned the hard way that a reputable running shop's staff is invaluable when selecting the right shoe, but everyone is different, and as luck would have it, I was an anomaly. I have no arches but only mildly pronate, and was fitted in an Asics motion control/stability trainer and was told that they would take some getting used to, despite them feeling like they had no cushioning whatsoever. I took them on several indoor treadmill runs of varying distances with increasing, not decreasing discomfort, so I returned them, and went through several more pairs of stability shoes because that's what I was supposed to be wearing, but continued to be plagued with knee and shin pain. I became fed up, tried on a plush neutral, cushioned shoes (Asics Nimbus) and fell in love with the comfort. I've been wearing the Nimbus series for 2 years with NO pain ever. 

Reputable, knowledgeable advice is great but is still no substitute for good 'ol fashioned trial and error.

2008-09-09 7:35 PM

User image

Master
Riverside, IL
I agree with Sty...trial and error have been the best way to determine whether or not a shoe will work for me. I've been "fitted" by many supposedly "reputable" LRS, and nearly every time I go shopping for shoes...I'm told a different story. I can recall one particular time, when I went to the downtown Chicago Fleet Feet store to get a running analysis on their new, hi-tech, video treadmill. Now mind you...up until that point, I had been deemed a "moderate pronater" by at least 2 other LRS. So I get on the treadmill and run while the salesguy is videotaping my gait. After about 30 seconds, he tells me to stop running. We review the video and he concludes that I am "without a doubt, a neutral runner"...his exact words. He brings out 3 shoes to try - I end up taking home the Nike+ Vomero2 (it felt the best in the store). Next day I do a treadmill run with the Nikes on...and within 5 minutes, the toes on my right foot went numb and I was in horrible pain. I returned those shoes. The following weekend, I visited a suburban location of Fleet Feet (closer to my house)...went through the whole gait analysis shpeel again...and lo and behold, I'm told that I pronate and should be wearing a stability shoe. LOL So I got 2 different opinions from the same store, but different locations. Needless to say, I haven't been back to Fleet Feet since then.

Just saw a podiatrist last week who, after examining and x-raying my feet...tells me that I pronate my right foot, but supinate my left foot. How's that for an interesting situation? Sure makes shopping for running shoes fun...NOT!

Edited by nscrbug 2008-09-09 7:36 PM
2008-09-09 7:36 PM

Thanks for all the replies.  The shoe I bought is the Omni 7 moderate, should have included that.  What worried me is that it is not listed when I use Saucony's shoe advisor.  I'm probably overthinking it...I do that.

2008-09-09 7:57 PM
in reply to: #1662656

Elite
rexcoltrain - 2008-09-09 6:36 PM

I'm probably overthinking it...I do that.

I vote for that. 

Just go run for a while and see how they work.

2008-09-09 10:28 PM

User image

I have never ran in the Omni, but I do run in the Saucony Paramount.

I have extremely high arches and also need a neutral shoe. The Paramount is listed as a stability shoe like the Omni, but has worked quite well. I think I am on my 5th pair.

I don't usually fancy Saucony shoes for running. I find them to be too cushiony and not responsive enough. Somehow though, the Paramount works for me and it is quite responsive. Maybe try those.

Good luck!

Edited by Sarah Demerly 2008-09-09 10:29 PM
2008-09-10 7:28 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Honolulu,
Im in the high arch supinate group and went from neutral to motion control on the recommendation of the lrs. My body did not like that so I went back to my new balance 1062's. Everything is good again.

2008-09-10 7:49 AM

User image

Giver
rexcoltrain - 2008-09-09 8:36 PM

Thanks for all the replies.  The shoe I bought is the Omni 7 moderate, should have included that.  What worried me is that it is not listed when I use Saucony's shoe advisor.  I'm probably overthinking it...I do that.

If you have high arches and underpronate, that's definitely the wrong show for you.

2008-09-10 7:56 AM
in reply to: #1663416

User image

Runner
run4yrlif - 2008-09-10 8:49 AM

If you have high arches and underpronate, that's definitely the wrong show for you.

Based on what?

2008-09-10 8:04 AM
in reply to: #1663429

User image

Giver
Scout7 - 2008-09-10 8:56 AM

Based on what?

Based on the fact that the Saucony Omni 7 Moderate is designed for moderate overpronators.

Underpronators need cushioned shoes...that shoe is a stability shoe.

Edited by run4yrlif 2008-09-10 8:05 AM
2008-09-10 8:11 AM
in reply to: #1663447

User image

Runner
run4yrlif - 2008-09-10 9:04 AM

Based on what?

Based on the fact that the Saucony Omni 7 Moderate is designed for moderate overpronators.

But the OP hasn't really run in them.  I'd say run in them to really determine if they are wrong or not.

2008-09-10 8:36 AM
in reply to: #1663467

User image

Giver
Scout7 - 2008-09-10 9:11 AM
run4yrlif - 2008-09-10 9:04 AM

Based on what?

But the OP hasn't really run in them.  I'd say run in them to really determine if they are wrong or not.

See...I disagree there. The shoes may fit great, and they may even feel good running. But underpronators need a very specific type of shoe...namely, one with little to no support.

Let's talk about biomechanics...

Normal, or neutral feet pronate on impact...that's a good thing. As you strike, your arch collapses(pronation) and that flexion absorbs a good bit of the impact force. Too much is a good thing, of course. But in the case of high-arched underpronators, very little if any of that flexion (pronation) occurs. So instead of absorbing that impact force through arch flexion, it's absorbed more in your knees and hips.

Think of it like this: imagine jumping off of a table. What would you do? Flex your knees to absorb the impact, right? Now...imagine jumping off of that table with your knees locked. Frightening, yeah?

That's what happens with every foot strike in an underpronator. So, to counter that inflexibility, you need a shoe that encourages every bit of natural flexion you can get (so no stability devices) and provides extra cusioning to absorb the impact that your arches aren't.

So...specifically about the Saucony Omni 7 moderate. Take a look at the medial aspect of the shoe here (you'll need to use the 360 view tool):

Omni 7 Moderate

Notice the grey material in the midsole? That's a medial post, made of dense EVA. It's designed to prevent your foot from rolling inward--pronating. And that's *exactly* what underpronators *don't* need in their shoes. Underpronators want to eek out every last bit of pronation they can.

So, in sum, that shoe may feel fine at first. But after a month in it, the hip and knee pain starts. And maybe you get some medial-tibial stress syndrome (shin splints) to boot.

2008-09-10 8:39 AM
in reply to: #1662459

User image

sty - 2008-09-09 7:20 PM

I learned the hard way that a reputable running shop's staff is invaluable when selecting the right shoe, but everyone is different, and as luck would have it, I was an anomaly. I have no arches but only mildly pronate, and was fitted in an Asics motion control/stability trainer and was told that they would take some getting used to, despite them feeling like they had no cushioning whatsoever. I took them on several indoor treadmill runs of varying distances with increasing, not decreasing discomfort, so I returned them, and went through several more pairs of stability shoes because that's what I was supposed to be wearing, but continued to be plagued with knee and shin pain. I became fed up, tried on a plush neutral, cushioned shoes (Asics Nimbus) and fell in love with the comfort. I've been wearing the Nimbus series for 2 years with NO pain ever.

Reputable, knowledgeable advice is great but is still no substitute for good 'ol fashioned trial and error.

That's my story too. I'm flat footed with neutral pronation. Asics 2130s about tore my knees and ankles up. I went to another runner's store and ended up with Asics Landreth 4 and knew on the first run that these were the shoes I needed.

Don't run in shoes that hurt, you will damage yourself.
2008-09-10 8:47 AM
in reply to: #1663525

User image

Runner

I'm more curious as to how the OP knows he supinates "a bit".  Where did this information come from?

I am well aware of the biomechanics of running.  I am also well aware that people get things wrong.  So it's very difficult to definitively say that a specific shoe is wrong for someone.  You can make a gneralized point, which is fine, but without seeing the person run, we know very little about what's going on.

It's entirely possible the store got it wrong.  But they actually looked at the person; we did not.  Hence the reason I ask what you are basing your definitive answer on.  Considering we don't know what "supinate a bit" actually means, it's hard to say exactly what shoes are going to work.  Especially considering the fact that shoe companies are notorious for interchanging terms and labels.  What one company calls mild support, another calls it something completely different.

2008-09-10 9:10 AM
in reply to: #1663558

User image

Giver
Scout7 - 2008-09-10 9:47 AM

I'm more curious as to how the OP knows he supinates "a bit".  Where did this information come from?

I am well aware of the biomechanics of running.  I am also well aware that people get things wrong.  So it's very difficult to definitively say that a specific shoe is wrong for someone.  You can make a gneralized point, which is fine, but without seeing the person run, we know very little about what's going on.

It's entirely possible the store got it wrong.  But they actually looked at the person; we did not.  Hence the reason I ask what you are basing your definitive answer on.  Considering we don't know what "supinate a bit" actually means, it's hard to say exactly what shoes are going to work.  Especially considering the fact that shoe companies are notorious for interchanging terms and labels.  What one company calls mild support, another calls it something completely different.

I hear ya...I was going on the supposition that the OP underpronates.

My first post in this thread was prefaced with "If..."

2008-09-10 5:04 PM

All I needed was a mile...not the right shoe.  Pushed me out way further on the side of my foot.  A manager caught me with my box before I could get to the saleperson, so I explained the situation, more in a "can you help me understand" kind of way.  After some disbelief that I had my facts straight, he looked at my feet/walk/old shoes for himself and seemed pretty ticked off that this was the shoe I was sold.  
2008-09-11 9:55 AM

User image

Expert
Chatham, Ontario
We have a NEW BALANCE store close by and they will take back the shoes if they did not work. The salespersons take courses on shoe fittings.

I would not hesitate to go back to were you bought yours and talk to them. Leave it up to the experts.

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Did I buy the wrong shoes? Rss Feed