General Discussion Triathlon Talk » 5 weeks to 10K... advice? Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2008-09-09 11:29 PM

New user
Subject: 5 weeks to 10K... advice?

Hey all...  looking at getting into my first tri(s) next spring, but that's a long way away.  I'd like to do something competitive sooner that that, for the fun and motivation of it.  There are no local tris left this year, and I don't even own a bike yet anyway.  I'm looking at a local XC 10K that looks like fun, it's 5 weeks away.  I'll have to re-arrange my work schedule to run it . . . which will be a PITA, but will be worth it to me IF I can just get a little advice from the more knowledgeable/experienced.

I'm a 6-3, 210# Clyde (recently down from 233#).  I've only been seriously running for about a month now, but it's going REALLY well.  I've progressed from being almost unable to even run a full mile without walking to running my usual (5.1 mile) route at nearly an 8 min/mile clip.  I hit a new PB about every other time I run, even on days where I feel tired and slow; the gains have been coming by leaps and bounds (very encouraging).   I feel like I still have a lot left to gain, I really feel that I have a lot left in the tank in terms of improvement.

I know I'll never be a world-class runner (esp. not within 5 weeks), but I'd like to think I could approach a 7:00/mile pace in this race.  This would put me in position for a really good finish in this particular race (in the Clyde division).   I know the better I get, the slower the gains will come, but they haven't showed any signs of slowing yet.  FWIW, I have reasonable athletic ability, I was able to run a 5:15 mile once in high school (in basketball shoes), and could run 5:30's consistently.  I'm 33 now. 

Here's my first question: Do you guys think that cutting a min/mile off my pace over the next 5 weeks is a realistic goal?  I just don't have the previous experience to predict how quickly these gains might continue to come and when they might start to taper off....

And here's my obvious next question:  Anyone care to suggest a particular training plan/regimen over the next 5 weeks to get me there?  The race is October 18.  I'm not afraid to put the time in and work hard, but I don't want to just make up my own plan and end up hurting myself.  I also don't want to be unrealistic about my potential and bust my arse and screw with my work schedule to get into the race, only to bring up the rear with 8:00 miles.  I'm not really in it to win it, but I know that I'm far too competitive in nature to enjoy getting my butt handed to me.

Thanks a bunch for your input...

Chris

(p.s. I realize this is more Running Talk than it is "Triathlon Talk", but I didn't really see a more appropriate forum for this question...  my longer-term interest is tri's, but a running race is much more accessible to me for the moment....)

2008-09-10 6:56 AM
in reply to: #1663168

User image

Runner
Subject: RE: 5 weeks to 10K... advice?

I don't think it's wise to expect a minute per mile drop over the next five weeks.

As for a training plan, what you're doing seems to be working well for now.  You have nothing logged, so it's tough to say what you could do to improve.  Probably not much in the next five weeks.

2008-09-10 7:11 AM

User image

Master
Alpharetta, GA
A few things here.....

Congrats on getting into shape. Dropping 23 pounds in a month is a lot. Keep up the hard work. You have two things working in your favor as to why you continue to pick up speed. 1 - you are getting into better shape. 2 - the weight that is dropping off is making you lighter, ergo faster. Simply by continuing to run you will gain speed.

I agree with the above post, that dropping an additional minute per mile over the course of a 10K is a huge goal over 5 weeks. I am not saying you can not get there, but it is going to be difficult and you can run the risk of injury with over training in the process.

Continue what you are doing, and add a longer run per week. That will help build endurance, which in tern will help your shorter course speed.

BTW, I don't think you will be bringing up the rear in the Clyde division running 8:00/miles.
2008-09-10 7:14 AM

User image

crkoester - 2008-09-10 12:29 AM
Here's my first question: Do you guys think that cutting a min/mile off my pace over the next 5 weeks is a realistic goal?

No. If you insist on trying you will probably do it. Unfortunately either immediately following that or right before your race you will find out that you have a pulled, torn, ripped, or otherwise damaged something or other in one or both legs because you pushed too hard too fast. Then you will spend quite a bit of time unable to run as you heal. That would set your plans back further than letting slowly but surely take its course with you.

How about you just run to be able to finish 10K and leave it at that for this year. Find another handful of 5K and 10K races from now to next spring and use those as your measuring sticks but do not try to push too hard too fast.
2008-09-10 11:46 AM

User image

i think you are already doing an excellent job. it doesn't sound like you need much advice. just be careful not to ramp up mileage too fast and listen to your body. sounds like your body is telling you everything is "in the green".

some thoughts:
(1) any additional weight you lose over the next 5 weeks will make you that much faster, assuming you are not starving yourself.
(2) you said your typical run is 5.1 miles. Better *build* up to one long run a week of 8-10 miles.
(3) want to test out 7:00 min/mile pace? try doing one or two miles in the middle of your runs at this pace.
(4) race strategy: 3.5 miles at 8:00 min/mile pace then let it go and see how hard you can push.

just $0.02 to put in the kitty
2008-09-10 11:47 AM

User image

Pro
Melbourne FL
Gold member

Be aware not to fall into the trap of running the same pace for every run.  I did this when I started out and I plateau'd big time and could not figure out why I couldn't run faster or longer.  Wasn't until I started to run using a HRM (and correlated RPE) that I really started to progress running (fitness) wise.

I would recommend following parts of these Hal Higdon training plans:

10k Novice

10k Intermediate

BTW, you will not be "bringing up the rear" with 8:00mi pace in a 10k.  Do what you can and enjoy the experince, you have years ahead to keep getting better if you stick with it.

2008-09-10 9:21 PM

New user

Thanks for the input everyone.  I definitely appreciate and respect the viewpoint that pushing hard will risk injury.  That's absolutely my #1 concern here, things have gone so well up to this point that an injury setback would be mentally devasting at this point. 

I went through a similar deal last year, lost a bunch of weight (from 245 to 203), was regularly doing DVD workouts and long, fast walks and jogging some hills, but then had to have knee surgery (an old injury that I had been putting off getting fixed for nearly 3 years, not anything to do with training) - and because I couldn't work out anymore I lost all motivation and ballooned back up.  I don't want this to happen again, so I'm very sensitive to the overtraining issue.

To be clear, this most recent 23# loss has been over the course of several months, I lost most of it before I started running seriously (again, worried about the knees!), I've only lost about 8# in the last month.  I'm eating smarter but definitely not starving myself.

So, thanks for the honest feedback on whether this is a realistic and/or smart goal to have.  Obviously it's not the end of the world to run the 10K slower than I had hoped...  it's just that it's going to be a bit of a PITA to re-arrange things to be able to run this particular race, and I'm trying to decide if it's worth it right now. 

Also thanks for the notes on race strategy and the training plan links - I'm surprised how short and infrequent the distances are on the training plan - perhaps I AM already overtraining a little bit?  Maybe not in total volume, but in relentlessly running 5.1 miles every single time?  I think I will start to work in some of those 400 meter interval runs and one long run per week, as I've been doing neither. 

As a side note, after 2 days off I ran again tonight and once again completely blew away my PB, improved my time by a full 2:04 over my usual 5.1 mile route.  And no, I'm not grinding it out at all, either - my first 1.7 mile loop felt effortless; I literally started laughing out loud and clapping my hands when I saw my time (13:23)!  What a great feeling.  I slowed my pace just a bit the last 2 loops and clicked off my 5.1 miles in 40:52 (an 8:01/mile pace).  I'm not hurting at all, after I get back home and cool down, drink some water and eat a popsicle (real fruit, 30 calories) I feel like I could go out and run it all over again!

I really can't believe how quickly the gains are coming.  I'm getting spoiled, I think it's going to be mentally tough on me when I first encounter a plateau.

But whatever - I feel awesome.  If I can take off another good chunk in the next couple of weeks, I think I may just run this upcoming race.

Do many of you guys use interval-type training days (i.e. 8 x 400 at 5K pace), and if so do you find them to be beneficial?

Thanks for all the advice - I think every bit of it was good and helpful. 

Chris

2008-09-11 7:22 AM
in reply to: #1666186

User image

Runner

My mind, volume is not going to be your problem, it's intensity.

I would drop the 400 m interval workouts in favor of easier running.  I definitely think you should incorporate a longer run, but you could also do shorter ones as well.  Also, make sure that you're going easy on most of your runs.  Low intensity will give the body a chance to catch up to your aerobic fitness, and will help avoid injury.

2008-09-11 10:40 PM

New user

I appreciate your comments.  I have definitely noticed that I have now long-since crossed the threshhold where my lungs/HR are my limiting factor - I always start to feel the run in my legs first now, even though my heart and lungs are doing great.   It's so incredible to be able to run 3 miles at an all-time PR pace and still sing along with my iPod!  I can see you are definitely right about the body needing to be able to catch up, and I can see how a newbie can easily push to hard with the new-found freedom of being able to breathe easily even after several miles!   

So why do you recommend avoiding the interval work?  It seems like that would be a good way to still efficiently push/expand my aerobic threshhold without putting so many miles on my legs to get there???  Not arguing at all, I appreciate any/all advice I can get, just wondering what the logic is...?

Chris

2008-09-12 7:15 AM
in reply to: #1669492

User image

Runner

A couple reasons.

First, intervals are hard on the body.  Doing too much too soon is a path to injury.  Hence the reason most people starting out are told they are running too hard and should slow down.

Second, the gains from doing intervals tend to be short-lived, and you reach a peak relatively quickly.  What this means is that intervals are good to add, once you start hitting a plateau from what you're currently doing.

Third, it's more about volume.  The most successful endurance athletes have a lot of it.  The more miles you put in, the more you bui;d your endurance, the greater your ability to hold a faster pace for longer.

Trust me, by just running more, you WILL get faster.

I generally say that, if you really want to do intervals, wait until you have some time under your belt.  After the first 6-12 months is my usual rule of thumb.  At least by that point, the legs have adapted to the stresses of running more, and can start to handle increases in intensity like that.  Plus, the first year is all about figuring things out, anyway.

2008-09-12 10:00 AM
in reply to: #1669492

I don't have much experience but your post sounds so much like one I could have written a month ago I'm going to give a little bit of a warning.  

I started running from scratch in mid June, barely able to run a mile.  After the first couple of runs I was loving everything about it.  Every run seemed like I could go further and faster then the one before it.  Seemed like my lungs would go forever just had to build up the leg strength.  Had my long run up to about 10 miles once a week, started adding intervals and a short fast run once a week.  Just starting to break 20 miles a week, although at this point I just started to shift my focus from distance to work on speed. 

When I look back it's pretty much a how to on getting a running injury.  Anyway I was running with Nike+ and ran a 10k for the Human Race on 8/31.  About half way through I felt a little tightness & burning in my right knee but nothing too bad so kept going, I would have cut things short if I wasn't going for the 10k but figured it wasn't too bad.  When I stopped at the 10k mark and started to walk there was a lot of pain, tried to go back into a jog and just couldn't, limped home.  Going down stairs was really painful for the next week and I'm still not running 2 weeks later, but feeling a little better each day.  Everything I've read tells me it's my IT band.  

I doubt I would have paid much attention if someone told me this a month ago, figured that's their own weakness not mine, but it caught up to me.  Anyway my advice is back off a little, take it easy and don't push yourself yet.  There will be plenty of opportunites for that down the road.  

2008-09-12 11:40 AM

New user

This stuff is gold.  Thanks so much you guys.  I will definitely modify things...  in fact I already started this AM.  I felt a little tighter than usual today (probably from playing softball like a madman last night, we were short 2 players so I was both SS and 3B and was diving for smoking grounders all night) so I went and ran (for the first time) on a nice flat dirt/gravel track (rather than my usual hilly pavement), and limited myself to 3 pretty easy miles (before this I have ALWAYS run a full 5.1 miles each time), forcing myself to slow my pace on the last mile, then taking a 1/2 mile walk to cool down.  It felt good, nice and easy, no pushing at all - but I still got my legs loosened up and some miles on them for the day.

(Wow, someone should disable my parentheses keys).

Anyway, thanks again for all this great advice.  Like I said before, I am very paranoid about getting hurt as I know it would be very tough on me, mentally.  (Need to quit softball, too).  I will keep up the volume but avoid pushing hard and speedwork for now.... 

Chris

2008-09-12 12:03 PM
in reply to: #1670474

User image

crkoester - 2008-09-12 10:40 AM

I am very paranoid about getting hurt as I know it would be very tough on me, mentally.  (Need to quit softball, too).   

Chris

LOL!! A friend I train with says that softball is a sport carefully designed with the intent of injuring its participants. I don't see what is wrong with guzzling beer in the dug out and then sprinting 50m or so every once in a while to come to a dead stop. It's all fun anyhow.
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » 5 weeks to 10K... advice? Rss Feed