General Discussion Triathlon Talk » What Pedal / Cleat Should I get? Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2008-09-11 9:05 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Northern Virginia
Subject: What Pedal / Cleat Should I get?

My first of many future upgrades is to get some bike shoes and put some clipless pedals on my hybrid bike. (Will transfer to my dream tri bike, hopefully before 2010).

Background: I used to road race 30 yrs ago w/ bike shoes that had cleats, toe clips, etc. w/ no problems, so I don't think float is much of an issue.  I do recall toe numbness.  I'm looking at getting Specialized Trivent shoes, hopefully that will help with numbness.

The big question is what cleat pattern (and consequently which clipless pedal).   My health club uses SPD pedals, so it would be nice if I had something compatible in the winter (until I get rollers).  My neighbor (the one with the CompuTrainer) has Look Keo's on his bike.

My biggest concern is that I can still run through T1 without gumming up the cleats w/ grass, mud or rocks (I saw in my last tri that after the 100 yd. run uphill, some people had to stop and clean out the cleats).  (Regular Tri, not XTERRA).  So hopefully the cleat pattern has enough of a "low profile" that it won't pick up a bunch a crud (the "big holes" in the Speedplays look like they can get filled with crap pretty quickly)

Suggestions or comments?  Time RSX, Crank Bros, Look, Shimano?

I'd like to get them soon (probably from Contes in Arlington), I have a sprint first Saturday in October. 

Thanks.

2008-09-11 9:51 AM
in reply to: #1666882

User image

Elite
Armpit of Ontario
Subject: RE: What Pedal / Cleat Should I get?

Crank Bro's Quattro road pedals are great - no-clog, low profile cleats (using the available composite adapters) that afford respectable grip when running in transition.

Double-sided with 4 points of entry (like their regular eggbeaters) make clipping in/out a no-look snap. They can be fit to most types of bolt patterned shoes with the available adapters as well. Quattros are not compatable in any way with SPDs.

2008-09-11 1:40 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Carlsbad, CA

I like the SPD cleats with more of a mountain bike shoe that lets me move around a bit more freely off the bike than a true road shoe.  Never had problems with grass or mud.  Comfortable, easy to get in and out of the pedal, easy to replace and as noted with regard to a spinning class, versatile.

Aside from all of this, I'll join in and echo your question a bit ... I've really only used the SPD cleats and was wondering if there were advantages to switching to other cleats.  Weight is not an issue to me, so are we just talking about personal preference and/or brand loyalty here, or are there true advantages out there with the various cleats, shoes?

2008-09-11 4:43 PM

User image

Master
Riverside, IL
If you're planning on getting the Specialized Trivent shoe...then you will NOT be able to use SPD cleats with them. They are a 3-hole pattern shoe...so you would need to look at something like a LOOK pedal or Speedplays. Since you are concerned about walkability and the pedals getting mucked up in transition, you might want to consider a mountain bike shoe/SPD pedal combination. This combo would also enable you to use the shoes for your spinning classes. I use SPD pedals on my road bike, and I wear a Specialized MTB shoe. I used this combo for 2 triathlons - 1 sprint, 1 oly...and had no problems whatsoever.
2008-09-11 4:45 PM
in reply to: #1667931

User image

Elite
Armpit of Ontario

Poster Nutbag - 2008-09-11 2:40 PM...was wondering if there were advantages to switching to other cleats.  Weight is not an issue to me, so are we just talking about personal preference and/or brand loyalty here, or are there true advantages out there with the various cleats, shoes?

Comparisons of pedals/cleats could include: weight, as you mentioned, in addition to ease of entry (single sided vs. double sided, from 1 to 4 points of entry), amount of float and whether the float can be adjusted to suit the individual (some can, others cannot), amount of routine maintenance required (some requiring regular maintenance/cleaning/lubricating of the mechanism, some requiring none), whether they hold debris or shed it well, whether it's important to be able to run in the shoe (in transition), price (especially when you get into titanium and carbon), and even options like different colours to match your bike/kit.  

I cite my own example of starting out with SPDs, switching to Speedplays, then after much homework, settling on Quattros because of most of the reasons cited above as improvements over the previous two pedal systems. 

Ultimately, it's to each his own, and can b a matter of Ford vs Chevy. 

2008-09-11 5:06 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Carlsbad, CA
 ... or Hyundai

2008-09-11 5:07 PM

User image

Master

I used to have Shimano SPD on my road bike but moved them to my MTN bike and upgraded to Look pedals. I have to say I prefer the look's on the road bike. The stiffer shoe is awesome, and I do not feel the pressure I used to feel on the bottom of my foot during long rides I used to get with SPD.

Bottom line any of them will work. I went with SPD initially based on cost... Any clipless pedal is better than cages and straps.

2008-09-11 5:11 PM

User image

I started with SPD and MTB shoes to be able to walk with the shoes on. Got cheaper Shimano road bike pedals for my tri bike and now I've got Shimano Ultegra pedals and I have to say I absolutely love these.
2008-09-11 7:00 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Kansas City, MO

For just the biking, I love the Speedplay pedals I have on my bike.  I'll be the first person to admit that they aren't the best for running in during transition, so if you don't have the rubber band trick down yet (I don't...someday though), they might not be the easiest to start with.

Note: just re-read your post and noticed you said on your hybrid bike.  I keep SPDs on my hybrid, and use those same shoes when I take a spin class any place where I don't take my own bike and trainer.  They're definitely low profile and easy to run in, especially compared to my Speedplays.  I don't know any cleat that won't pick up mud and grass if conditions are bad enough though.  The SPDs are also relatively inexpensive.

2008-09-12 10:56 AM

User image

Master
Loughborough, England
Look Keo's have worked very well with me and no amount of mud will stop you being able to clip in properly (and yes, I have first hand experience of cleats (and shoes for that matter) completely covered in mud).
2008-09-12 12:53 PM

User image

Master
Nashville, TN
personally i love my look keo pedals but then have not tired anything else really

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » What Pedal / Cleat Should I get? Rss Feed