General Discussion Triathlon Talk » headset help Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2008-09-11 9:11 AM

Regular
Cleveland, OH
Subject: headset help

Can headset top covers be purchased separately?  Also, can anyone identify the model of the headset installed: the compression ring has "VP-A10RCK2" on it and the carbon top cover just says "Cane Creek".  I need a shorter headset top cover to accommodate a different stem. 

I recently purchased a 2006 Specialized Transition on the used market and the headset was listed as a Cane Creek unit (this did not come stock on the bike).  The bike does not quite fit me yet and I need to move the handle bar assemblys back towards the seat and I wanted to do this by using a different stem.  I found a stem that I believe will work, but it looks like I need a shorter top cover and a new 10 mm spacer to make it all fit on the stem.

The bike has a carbon steer tube and this is the setup that I have now (top to bottom):

• top cap
  • stem (Specialized, 110mm, 10 deg, 38mm clamp height)
  • 5mm carbon spacer
  • 2.5mm carbon spacer
  • 20mm tall carbon top cover
  • frame

The total height of all of this from the frame to the bottom of the top cap is about 65.5mm. 

I did notice that both of the spacers were installed underneath the stem and therefore the carbon stem was about 2 mm  below the top of the stem clamp.  I prefer that the stem's clamping area is totally touching the carbon steer tube rather than having any overhang which is the way it was delivered.  The stem that I want to use would therefore require a new 10mm spacer and the corresponding top cover height is 5mm (the current one is 20mm).  The proposed setup would be as follows:

• top cap
  • 10mm spacer
  • stem (80mm, 45 deg, 50mm clamp height)
  • 5mm tall top cover
  • frame

The total height of all of this from the frame to the bottom of the top cap is about 65mm.  The stem clamp height goes from 38mm to 50mm due to the much steeper angle: from 10 to 45 degrees.

I am new to bicycling and I hope that I am using the correct nomenclature. 

Edited by sorenson997 2008-09-11 9:13 AM

(headset_01.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
headset_01.jpg (96KB - 24 downloads)

2008-09-11 9:40 AM
in reply to: #1666908

User image

Giver
Subject: RE: headset help
I'd call Cane Creek tech support and ask them your questions...
2008-09-11 12:10 PM

User image

Champion
Checkin' out the podium girls
Looking at their website, it seems Cane Creek has limited lower stack caps. Looks like you have an IS-8 which apparently only comes in a tall topcap. You might need to replace the whole headset. Be sure you know Campy / Shimano as even headsets have different conventions and frames are built only for one style.

http://www.canecreek.com/is-8-is-8i-headsets.html

If you do need to replace, this is absolutely the coolest!

http://www.canecreek.com/Maple-Headset.html
2008-09-11 12:53 PM

Regular
Cleveland, OH

I called Cane Creek's tech support as suggested and this was good information.  It turns out that the headset does NOT appear to be an aftermarket one, and instead is probably the stock headset.  I say this for several reasons:

• The Cane Creek tech person stated that any Cane Creek headset, purchased as an aftermarket part, would have the model number written on the top cover.  However, a Cane Creek headset  used for an OEM application would just have "Cane Creek" written on it to satisfy the licensing agreement.
  • The top cover on my headset is 20 mm.  The Cane Creek rep stated that their top covers or 8-9 mm for a short stack and 15 mm for a tall stack.

Therefore, I believe I have a stock headset that was licensed from Cane Creek to Specialized.  The headset is an integrated type and the Cane Creek IS-2 looks like the shortest top cap.  I will look around to see who else offers top caps since I would like to get something in the 5mm height range.

2008-09-11 9:36 PM

Regular
Cleveland, OH

Mystery solved: I am just going to purchase a Cane Creek IS-2 (short) headset.  If the IS-2 top cover fits on the existing stuff, then I will be done.  If it does not, I will just switch out the headsets.  The IS-2 headset looks like it is about $35 whereas some of the top covers that I have found run $15-18.

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » headset help Rss Feed