General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Shin Splints Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 2

2005-02-16 11:05 AM
in reply to: #117992

Regular
New York, NY
Subject: RE: Compression Sleeves
Did a little research online because all this talk of shin splints made me realize I could use a new pair of compression sleeves. Anyway, I think I found the cheapest price on this site:
http://www.bannertherapy.com/Products.aspx?dept=73&MM=1&SM=1
($15.75 each)

Most other sites range from $24.95-$29.95, so $15.75 really is a very good deal.

2005-02-16 1:38 PM
in reply to: #117634

User image

Extreme Veteran
Miami, FL
Subject: RE: Shin Splints
I got me a pair on new shoes (Asics - excellent), and I stretch my calf muscles before and after each walk/run for a minimum of 5-10 minutes. It has helped a lot.

Examples:
Calf raises
alphabet writing with your toes
bug crushes (just like it sounds - pretend you are crushing bugs with your toes)
Toes raises (heels on the floor raise your toes as high as you can)

These worked for me. Good luck
2005-02-18 1:29 PM

Veteran
Michigan
Thank you to all that replied. Very interesting information here. I have bought new shoes and got a PT appt. If these two things don't help, I'll try some of the other great suggestions. Sorry it took me a while to reply, I've been on my back with a brutal cold.
2005-02-22 12:00 AM

User image

New user

Lincoln, CA
I've been bothered by shin splints off and on - mostly due to running on hard ground in cleats (ultimate frisbee). I've found that heel cups/cushions helped in that (since cleats have NO cushion), as well as in my running shoes.

I recently bought new running shoes and can run without the need of heel cups (but I still use superfeet inserts). The pair I replaced had a *lot* of wear on the outer edges - according to the guys at the store, they were overcompensating for my overpronation. The point is - make sure you have shoes that fit and match the anatomy of your feet.

Also, I've heard "warming up" or exercising your shin muscles helps - stand with your back against the wall and tap your toes as fast as you can, keeping your heels on the floor. This is probably similar to the alphabet tracing others have suggested.
2005-02-22 10:09 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Delray Beach, FL
How old are your shoes? It may be time to get a new pair of running shoes. Go to a running store and use those shoes only for running. Pick shoes with a lot of cushioning. For me, shin splints are a good indication I need new shoes. Also, try calf and shin stretches.
Shin splints may be an indication you are doing too much too soon. Stop running for a couple days (concentrate on swimming and the bike). Ice your legs and try ibuprofen.
I hope you feel better soon.
Mary
2005-02-22 7:36 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Camarillo, California
Take Aleve or however you spell it, its an anti inflamitory and it will help the muscle heal. Then you might be able to run if you wrap your shins with tape. And ice 3 times a day for 15 minutes.

2005-03-15 12:21 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Home port
Subject: Treat the problem, not the symptoms!
I suffered through shin splints for many seasons. I tried every remedy out there, even laying off for 3 mths.  The problem always came back!  I was ready to quit triathlons until I stumbled upon this website www.tpmassageball.com. They make a device that will treat the real problem behind shin splints.  They have treated thousand of runners who suffered with this and other common overuse injuries, including me.  I have been using these products for 2 mths now, and I no longer suffer or lose time to injuries.  Check out the site for yourself.  You can e-mail me for more info.  Yes, I am a sales rep for this company, because I am so passionate about their products!  These products kept me from quitting my favorite sport! My email is [email protected]

Attachments
----------------
shin splints trigger points.htm (3KB - 101 downloads)
runners must read.htm (11KB - 112 downloads)
shin splints explanation.htm (8KB - 92 downloads)
2005-03-16 4:32 PM

User image

Elite
Hattiesburg, Mississippi
Stretch the calf. Use ice massage, as mentioned above. You may need new shoes, or orthotics to correct a mechanical problem.
2005-03-16 4:48 PM

Veteran
Swindon

What ever you do, don't try to train through it.  Shin splints are the result of damage to the attachment of the soleus muscle to the shin bone, basically the muscle is trying to disconnect itself from your shin - the more you run the more damage you will do.

I skimmed the thread, and the advice looks good (compared to what my physios say anyway).  The advice my physio gave me (he is a high lev el sports physio, so know's what we're like for missing training):  

Stop running now, for at least 2 weeks, if you can bear it stop for a month

Start back with short, slow runs, I mean really short, really slow, 1 mile MAX.  If at any point you feel even a hint of them, STOP, walk home, stretch/ice/massage.

Unfortunately, because the cause is the attachment, which doesn't have a large blood flow, massage can releive the pain but generally it would cure the problem.

Definitely replace your shoes - go to a proper running shop and get them to check you are buying suitable ones (I gave myself shin splints last year because I bought a totally unsuitable pair in a rush)

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Shin Splints Rss Feed  

of 2